My thoughts on the Canon EOS R5 8K monstrosity - 1TB footage per 50 minutes

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

The firmware update says « lower bitrate IPB for all framerates » HOPEFULLY that means IPB for 4K120 (currently only ALL-I with very high bitrates which forces Cfast use) and that would address 1 out of 2 complains I have. The 2nd one being no audio in 4K120. 

I agree the no audio in 120fps that is all canon that have 120 is annoying. Audio slowed down sounds bad but maybe you want to decide on post if you want to slow down or simply playback real-time and is annoying that you don't have the audio

4 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

I agree the no audio in 120fps that is all canon that have 120 is annoying. Audio slowed down sounds bad but maybe you want to decide on post if you want to slow down or simply playback real-time and is annoying that you don't have the audio

Yeah it happens a lot that I film slow mo but play some clips real time and then need the audio. Also sometimes I use the audio in real time over the slowmo video (for background sounds like water and so on)

12 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Yeah it happens a lot that I film slow mo but play some clips real time and then need the audio. Also sometimes I use the audio in real time over the slowmo video (for background sounds like water and so on)

guess the only way will be using something like Shure VP83F that have build in recording function or zoom h1 to record audio separately and match in post

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

guess the only way will be using something like Shure VP83F that have build in recording function or zoom h1 to record audio separately and match in post

One question: camera won’t record audio internally, but if I plug in a mic, will the camera engage audio recording of the mic or do I have to do it manually?  

16 hours ago, wolf33d said:

One question: camera won’t record audio internally, but if I plug in a mic, will the camera engage audio recording of the mic or do I have to do it manually?  

Maybe some people using 1DXs on the forum or other Canon camera not recording audio in high frame rate mode, like @Andrew Reid, can help me with this question?

16 hours ago, wolf33d said:

As far as I know there is no signal from camera to the mike that recording has started or stopped. On the VP83F you need to press a button to start and stop the internal mike recording. Then synchronizing without a scratch track is more challenging....

On 7/10/2020 at 5:09 PM, SteveV4D said:

I tend to shoot with 3 cameras, one of each person talking and a wide on both, for 2 person interviews  For logistics reasons, I'd prefer all 3 are continously recording.  I don't want one to stop partway and be pandered to.   

Besides if the R5 shut down and needed 10 mins rest, then I stand to lose 10 mins of footage.  Its not like the old 30 min clip limit, though those were annoying as well. 

It would depend on how quickly or frequently the problem manifested itself.  Something we don't yet really know.

You could use the 4k30p mode then that doesn't overheat. Why shoot interviews in 4k120? 🙂

2 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

You could use the 4k30p mode then that doesn't overheat. Why shoot interviews in 4k120? 🙂

Bare in mind  I wrote that before the official word came in on this.  Besides, I still wouldn't trust it.

Just now, hmcindie said:

Of course you did. Forums are full of people talking about things they haven't tried.

I don't need to try it.  The overheating figures comes from Canon.  Sure, they later confirmed bixel binned 30p is okay.  However, downsampled still overheats.  8K which some said originally could be used to allow for cropping in interviews overheats.  Why invest so much money for a camera that could fail on you.  

10 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Yes this is my dilemma, would be pretty frustrating spending £4200 and not being able to trust the higher quality modes, don't see the point. If you're only shooting very short sequences fair enough but not for me

right now the camera is useless for most of us, we can not trust to do anything important with it, and price is too high for all its limitations, once the camera is out there, and we get good reviews we could find a way to use it, if we can run all day with an external recorder, well, that's interesting, not ideal, but much better, if we use a small vent in a cage could also work, we really don't know yet, with the current information it is clearly a NO NO, but real world test and DIY solutions could change our initial decision.

3 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

right now the camera is useless for most of us, we can not trust to do anything important with it, and price is too high for all its limitations, once the camera is out there, and we get good reviews we could find a way to use it, if we can run all day with an external recorder, well, that's interesting, not ideal, but much better, if we use a small vent in a cage could also work, we really don't know yet, with the current information it is clearly a NO NO, but real world test and DIY solutions could change our initial decision.

If only it had full hdmi..

Ive pre ordered the R5 for the sole reason to actually test in my environment if the overheating is an issue. We shoot a decent amount of short clips in 4k120 and would love to also shoot some short clips in 8k30 for cropping. If the R5 can do this without over heating then Ill keep it, but im not gonna jump to conclusion on it overheating without testing for my self.

Ive seen that IPB might be an option in the future for 4k120, do we think that would allow us to write to cheaper SDcard V60 speed+? 

Im curious what size CFexpress cards people are going to be using, seems like 256gb might not cut it, and 512-1TB might be the sweet spot, especially at first if ALL-I is all there is for 4k120. 

16 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

Ive pre ordered the R5 for the sole reason to actually test in my environment if the overheating is an issue. We shoot a decent amount of short clips in 4k120 and would love to also shoot some short clips in 8k30 for cropping. If the R5 can do this without over heating then Ill keep it, but im not gonna jump to conclusion on it overheating without testing for my self.

Ive seen that IPB might be an option in the future for 4k120, do we think that would allow us to write to cheaper SDcard V60 speed+? 

Im curious what size CFexpress cards people are going to be using, seems like 256gb might not cut it, and 512-1TB might be the sweet spot, especially at first if ALL-I is all there is for 4k120. 

2x 512 sandisk one. 

I have 1 256 that I use for photos.