My thoughts on the Canon EOS R5 8K monstrosity - 1TB footage per 50 minutes

Andrew Reid

I'd pick the S1H over the R5 easily.  A shame as the R5 does have the better IBIS and of course very good AF, but any camera that has to provide guidelines for overheating is a definite negative.  I never asked for 8K.  In fact, if they stuck to 6K with longer recordings, it would have been a better move in my opinion.  

It will be interesting to see how this camera is used by buyers, and how the overheating impacts.  Will it not be a problem at all for those who buy it for small clip recordings, or will it impact them as a cumulative effect.  Rolling shutter still hasn't been tested.  Nor has dynamic range.  Will overheating impact image quality, more noise.  There's a lot more to learn about this camera before anyone can make a proper judgement on it.

The R6 looks the more reliable choice, but then you lose DCI 4K from what I see, only IPB recording and H265 for 10 bit. Not a great fan of the codec.   It's a tough one and a shame Canon have not offered a compromise between the R6 and R5, as camera features somewhere between both these cameras is something I would really want.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

I'd pick the S1H over the R5 easily.  A shame as the R5 does have the better IBIS and of course very good AF, but any camera that has to provide guidelines for overheating is a definite negative.  I never asked for 8K.  In fact, if they stuck to 6K with longer recordings, it would have been a better move in my opinion.  

It will be interesting to see how this camera is used by buyers, and how the overheating impacts.  Will it not be a problem at all for those who buy it for small clip recordings, or will it impact them as a cumulative effect.  Rolling shutter still hasn't been tested.  Nor has dynamic range.  Will overheating impact image quality, more noise.  There's a lot more to learn about this camera before anyone can make a proper judgement on it.

The R6 looks the more reliable choice, but then you lose DCI 4K from what I see, only IPB recording and H265 for 10 bit. Not a great fan of the codec.   It's a tough one and a shame Canon have not offered a compromise between the R6 and R5, as camera features somewhere between both these cameras is something I would really want.

Other than Canon's specs, I don't think we really know if it's got better IBIS in video or not. 

12 minutes ago, TheBoogieKnight said:

Other than Canon's specs, I don't think we really know if it's got better IBIS in video or not. 

True.  I'm basing it on a few clips I've seen and the comments of those using it.  But you're right, I should wait for comparison videos before passing judgement.

52 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

On R6 4K60p will overheat (30-35mn) as well as 4K30p (40-50mn) which I personally find are decent recording times for those particular modes.

I never do long shots on high frame rate modes and if you’re doing long interviews, concerts or weddings you should have a second body or cine cam anyways. 

Otherwise just stick to 4K24p/25p for those long recordings and don’t worry about overheating issues.

I think the whole overheating topic is overblown but of course let’s wait for some real life testing to find out more info about it.

20 minutes ago, Django said:

On R6 4K60p will overheat (30-35mn) as well as 4K30p (40-50mn) which I personally find are decent recording times for those particular modes.

I never do long shots on high frame rate modes and if you’re doing long interviews, concerts or weddings you should have a second body or cine cam anyways. 

Otherwise just stick to 4K24p/25p for those long recordings and don’t worry about overheating issues.

I think the whole overheating topic is overblown but of course let’s wait for some real life testing to find out more info about it.

I currently run 5 cameras at Weddings.  If I got an R6,  it would be for run n gun work only, not longer recordings.  So limited recording wouldn't be an issue.  I don't like the lack of DCI as I shoot this, or H265, but I can live with it. I prefer 10bit log profile to 8 bit. 

Nothings changed with these Canon announcements alas, no perfect hybrid camera yet to beat them all.  Just a selection of cameras with different ranges of issues that are nothing to some, but everything to others.

The overheat topic is full of people either arguing that overheating is a minor issue to be easily overcome, and those who feel its a serious deterent to an otherwise great camera.  Real World use will clarify this.  In the meantime, it merits discussion jut as much as the good stuff about these cameras.  

9 hours ago, Super8 said:

No interview is going to be stuck on the subject for 30 minutes straight.   You always have a second camera capturing a different angle.   The work around for the R5 recording limit is not that hard to do.

This is nonsense. Shooting interviews is the backbone of my job and they regularly last longer than an hour. Especially the good ones. More importantly, you want the contributor to forget about the camera and you want to focus on the interviewing, not think about the gear. Stopping the interviewee mid-flow and asking them to start that question/sentence again can derail a well conducted interview. 

I assume recording time limit will be negated by an Atomos, so sorting a rock solid clamp for that shitty micro HDMI port will be priority #1 for me.

Possible pros for SH1`- can film for as long as you want in any mode and no annoying 30 minute limit, full size hdmi is a biggie for me, those micro hdmi are a nightmare. DR looks to be better from what I have seen and read, RS is likely to be better, recording media cheaper, camera is £600 cheaper in the UK, integrated audio  xlr adaptor available, anamorphic modes

Possible pros for R5 - AF, internal RAW at 8k if you can handle it, 4k 120p in small doses (both these have an overheating risk), 4k 50p full frame, smaller lighter body

IBIS on both looks good but will only really find out with R5 when it's been properly tested by independent non Canon reps

This is an impressive camera but I seriously doubt that Canon expects to reach a lot of serious filmmakers with it. It wasn't designed with video in mind or it would've been built from the ground up with the cooling capacities to match like S1H or the fp. I think, like others pointed out, that the camera has the horsepower to deliver such specs and Canon decided to include them as well for those who could work within it's constraints. It's also a really cool testament as to how much technology has evolved, as well as a really powerful marketing statement in a era where video specs are becoming deciding factors in a camera purchase, even for photographers.

In any case I don't think a lot of people will reach overheating thresholds when the cheapest 512GB CFexpress cards are 500$ and up. This is what Sigma did right with the fp. Just like cameras, storage loses value quickly because of slow capacity or reading speeds so it's a really pro-consumer move to make it possible to use the cheaper alternative. Knowing that CFexpress cards are literally rebadged NVMe SSDs at 10 times the price (The sweet taste of Mini-mag déjà-vu) is really upsetting and I know for a fact that I won't buy a camera that needs them to record video unless prices drastically fall down. But Canon represents the status quo and I think it would be really hard for them to move to less expensive storage medias. It probably wouldn't fare well in the eyes of the "pros" who invested thousands into this storage medium.

I hope we will see a fp mk.II with full sensor readout 6k60 and a USB 4.0 port to record to external NVMe SSDs.

To me the EOS R5 actually highlights the real bang for the buck that the S1H is for a 6k 12-bit capable camera. The S1H is made for videographers who like photography whereas the EOS R5 is made for photographs who like videography. Knowing the roots of both companies this makes a lot of sense.

49 minutes ago, pikzi said:

To me the EOS R5 actually highlights the real bang for the buck that the S1H is for a 6k 12-bit capable camera. The S1H is made for videographers who like photography whereas the EOS R5 is made for photographs who like videography. Knowing the roots of both companies this makes a lot of sense.

Pretty accurate I think.

I don't know what some are expecting or want but these are DSLR style bodies, primarily designed to shoot stills with video capability.

Is it realistic to expect to be shooting endless video or making feature films with this kit?

To an extent, you could, but why would you when there is more suitable tools for the job.

If I'm going to shoot anything longer than 5 minutes in duration, camcorder goes to the job.

Unless I am missing something here, I don't get what some of the fuss has been about with camera releases recently.

The XT4 gets slated because you can't walk down a street talking to it for no other reason than to point out it's IBIS is not gimbal-like. Well duh!

OK, there also appears to be some micro-jittery shit and a few other issues for some and if that is the case, fair enough, it's not good enough.

But anyway...which of the several Canon threads is this...? Oh R5. Looks to me like the most capable mirrorless yet. For it's intended purpose.

But then again I could be wrong and have not seen any of Canon's propaganda. Are they marketing this as the ultimate filmmakers tool?