My thoughts on the Canon EOS R5 8K monstrosity - 1TB footage per 50 minutes

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Canon have finally admitted that their approach to video in the past has been wrong and maybe – just maybe – EOSHD was right! With the EOS R5 apparently video users are important again, even outside of the Cinema EOS range.

But are the flagship 8K RAW and 4K/120p modes of the EOS R5 actually practical to shoot with on a day to day basis?

At times the crippling has felt almost personal. Alas now Canon’s sales are down so that’s all in the past. They want our goodwill back, and most importantly they want us to open our wallets. $4000 for the camera. $5000 for 2 or 3 lenses. Perhaps another $2000 in CFexpress cards just to get through a few hours of 8K RAW recording.

New blog post:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/my-thoughts-on-the-canon-eos-r5-8k-monstrosity-1tb-footage-per-50-minutes/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The Sigma Fp can also record BRAW externally though, as well as 2K RAW to SD card - so a lot cheaper solution if you need RAW recording. I don't use the 8bit 4K RAW internal much on the Fp either due to the file sizes.

Have to say I see the high data rate of the 4K 120fps as a positive. It's 4X the bitrate of 24p, which is exactly what it should be if it's going to look as good. I'd be complaining if it was less!

When looking at the table, the data for 4 minutes of recording time looks huge but then that's actually 16+ minutes of footage.

Personally I only shoot short clips in 120p anyway. Though the fact DPAF works in 120p means it'll be an absolute killer gimbal camera and that'll mean people wanting to do long takes.

Why are we bashing Canon for including 8k raw INTERNALLY? They also could have just left it at that, but also included All-I and IPB in 8K - a pretty amazing inclusion. Add on to that that they do give you all of the great internal 10-bit codecs (All-I and IPB) in 4K and HD and up to 120fps in 4K, why are we complaining?

If you don't want the giant file sizes, just use one of the other modes. Solved AND you still get 10-bit 422. If you want the highest quality and don't care about thousands of dollars of storage, use raw and All-I. 

Or use every other camera manufacturer (outside of Panasonic) and just shoot in 8-bit 420 up to 30fps or to an external recorder. 

What Canon has done with these two cameras is pretty mind-blowing. I thought the S1H would be king (and in some ways it still is) for another year or two, but these cameras are close to top of the heap.

Yes, I would have preferred the Canon R6 to have 4k raw at much smaller file sizes, but hard to complain when they have given us so much in a seriously compact form factor. I love the S1H, but it won't ever be my photo camera due to size and weight, so the R5 could easily become both video and photo for me (or the R6).

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Thanks : ) Seems a win-win and the top dreamy one for now. What misses there? They've listened after all, isn't it? ; ) I feel myself tempted to buy one : -)

I would give this a read first

Yeah, I had just read it in the meantime actually, thank you for your care and this article entry : )

I honestly think only overheating may become an issue if you need long recording takes for events, interviews, etc. Other than that, seems to me very handy under 750g as lone ranger portable/hybrid capture device indeed : -)

Seems fair? Do you want internal 8K? You will have to pay for it. It's like a tax for access to new cutting edge technology. It applies to every high end tech device. As for myself, I'm not interested in 8K. Maybe for some test, but 4K capture for 1080p deliver will be the way to go for me.

My main concern is the 4K120p file size. Why on earth no IPB at 1/3 the file size like ANY of their other modes including 8K. WTF... 8K IPB allows recording on SD which means 4K120p IPB would easily allow SD recording. That would solve file size issue as well as memory card issue. 

Yeah Sony will have a better sensor like usual, better DR in stills, best of both world with the dual mpx of quad bayer, like having an R6 and R5 together. BUT ergonomics (shitty touch screen, small grip and buttons..) might be worst, color science might be worst, please of use and menus might be worst, and IBIS might be worst. I did not care for those when Canon was delivering 0 on other specs, but now that Canon delivers on specs those Sony issues cannot be ignored. If Sony is worst on those points, I will swallow the memory card and brand new iMac cost. If Sony somehow delivers on ergonomics, IBIS, color science, yet has Quad Bayer 64mpx sensor with 4K120 10 bit FF with better bitrates, then I will consider it. But that's a lot of things for them to do right so I am not optimistic. 

BTW isn't ALL-I much easier to edit than IPB (for the computer) ?

I was quite blown away by the AF of the R5 today. I did a test shoot with the sales rep and it would keep him in focus for all situations except when he was moving as if playing dodgeball. Since I'm a GH5 user my expectations might be lower than for Sony users, but unless there is some hidden crippled point (overheating or rolling shutter), I am sold on getting one of the new cameras.

Kind of crazy to be back into the Canon world but...here I am! What a benchmark for them and the price is ridiculous for what you get. Up until yesterday you had to pay $30,000 to get similar specs.

Planning an unofficial short film for when my pre order arrives. It will all hinge on how it performs there but on paper...it’s almost flawless (IMO).

3 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Kind of crazy to be back into the Canon world but...here I am! What a benchmark for them and the price is ridiculous for what you get. Up until yesterday you had to pay $30,000 to get similar specs.

Planning an unofficial short film for when my pre order arrives. It will all hinge on how it performs there but on paper...it’s almost flawless (IMO).

Yeah it's very impressive. The biggest flaw for me is lack of IPB 4K120 that would allow manageable file size and SD use, just like the 8K mode available in IPB (even though the 8K ALL-I is higher bitrate than the 4K120 all-i, which means clearly 4K120P IPB is easily possible). That's a legit complaint for an easy fix that would make our life much easier.

I don't get why people dare to complain on heating. Obiously Canon does not chose to heat their camera, it's pure physic limitation (unlike the fact they chose not to include IPB). Want a FAN ? HELL NO!!! I want my camera weatherproofed. If you want a fan and a camera to record 3 hours interview do not get a R5, what a joke. Why would you even use it for that?? There are plenty of other cameras better suited for that kind of job. 

36 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I don't get why people dare to complain on heating. Obiously Canon does not chose to heat their camera, it's pure physic limitation (unlike the fact they chose not to include IPB). Want a FAN ? HELL NO!!! I want my camera weatherproofed. If you want a fan and a camera to record 3 hours interview do not get a R5, what a joke. Why would you even use it for that?? There are plenty of other cameras better suited for that kind of job. 

I agree R5 is targeted to photographer first and video for people that wants really high quality even in hfr with AF for short takes 1-10 min at a time.

FF 8K RAW with AF nobody has it but even more impressive is FF 4k 120fps with AF, not other camera at any price has it so expecting that a 4k camera does all this in a fan less weather sealed tiny body are living in another planet...

I really want to see some RAW and some original LOG 4k 120fps, RS and DR too but so far it seems much more than I was expecting.... especially the 4k 120 seems very good qualtiy but need to see more and the out of camera files....

48 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Looking forward to your shortfilm 🙂