Canon EOS R6 shoots 10bit 4K/60 (but NO RAW) - How it compares to the EOS R5

Andrew Reid

On 7/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, Yurolov said:

Your xt3 was 4:2:0. The difference between all-i and ipb is a spec sheet analysis in most cases. 

The last 2 on whether you have a 4:2:0 or 4.2.2 will probably only make a difference when using a green screen. And it does not detract from the main core of my argument. 10 bit or 12 bit 4:2:0 is way more important than having 4:2:2 🙂 and it certainly has nothing to do with what the R6 turned out to be

All intra is quite different to lesser approaches but I suppose its perception may vary from eye to eye (or rather from the way one brain perceives what it sees compared to the other).

I have not found h265 difficult to edit if using proxies correctly in lesser systems and we should probably get on the bandwagon with this since h266 is more compressed than h265 :). Editing is resources intensive , you cannot edit high definition video in lesser rigs. Newer Nvidia gpus from the 1660 forward have a dedicated chip for h265 encoding decoding... Resolve probably needs to fine tune its codebase there.

Anyway, the R6 could have been a dedicated killer 4k  video camera for Canon at that price allowing the R5 to shine for photos and keep the 8k on the box for the uninformed. 

Canon crippled it either by firmware and/or design choices so people like me will certainly not be changing to a R6 since it does not make much sense. I suppose Sony A7siii competition and some firmware updates may redress the balance a bit but I am not sure.

I simply cannot afford a 15k C300 and its peripheral rigging to film some short films in my case, like most people with similar interests/hobbies/pursuits/occasional jobs that could probably stretch to 2.5k for a body.

In my eyes the Sigma FP is the best FF path one could do now for its money if  interested in cine.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What all this overheating going on, people tend to look over the fact that the footage and the IBIS actually looks really good. ISO is a noticeable improvement, too.

The rolling shutter is not great (as expected).

If you want longer recording times, you probably want the R5 over the R6.

If I see it right, it was re-started after the 20-minutes on the first one so no time to cool down, it won't be nearly as bad in practise for short clips.

The crop mode is 1.6x and who wants to shoot upscaled 4K, it does not make that much sense sense for me. Much better to save up for the R5 if this is important and have no crop at all.

If we look at the stills side of things though, apart from the 12fps mechanical shutter over 20fps and the tough build quality, it provides everything that the 1DX III LV mode does with IBIS and a flip screen for 4000$ less, not bad at all.

1 hour ago, padam said:

What all this overheating going on, people tend to look over the fact that the footage and the IBIS actually looks really good. ISO is a noticeable improvement, too.

Interesting.    The Canon graded footage seems to have managed to add a car from the ungraded stuff and remove one going the other way.

EDIT, Never mind, the Nikon added one too!    These cameras are better than I thought they were.

1 hour ago, padam said:

The only real review so far. R6 recorded almost half an hour before overheating in 4k50. ISO was quite fine. DR seemed OK. RS is not good but not dreadful too. Want to see more thorough tests ofc. 

I am really confused. Can someone please tell me what is the cripple hammer for 4k60p on R6 ? It seems that AF is fully working now (not like in 1Dx Mark III) right ? So is there crop, binning or sever rolling shutter going on ? As rumors say ALL-I will be added so that's good. Will it be better option than X-T4 for run and gun with auto focus or are there some serious downsides that I am not seeing ?

24 minutes ago, FS670ES said:

I am really confused. Can someone please tell me what is the cripple hammer for 4k60p on R6 ? It seems that AF is fully working now (not like in 1Dx Mark III) right ? So is there crop, binning or sever rolling shutter going on ? As rumors say ALL-I will be added so that's good. Will it be better option than X-T4 for run and gun with auto focus or are there some serious downsides that I am not seeing ?

There is a crop, a small one for 4K.  More due to cropping from DCI to UHD, which resolution is limited to.

Rolling shutter isn’t known, but maybe comparable to the 1DX Mark III.  That was poor for 4K 30p I recall seeing, but better for 60p, though that lacked AF, so hard to say where the R6 stands.

Overheating is likely an issue, how bad, we don't know.   Maybe, this is the only real issue with the R6 compared to the X-T4.  

Best wait till its released, and those who have it can advise exactly where it stands.  Its mostly just specultation at the moment.

44 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

There is a crop, a small one for 4K.  More due to cropping from DCI to UHD, which resolution is limited to.

Rolling shutter isn’t known, but maybe comparable to the 1DX Mark III.  That was poor for 4K 30p I recall seeing, but better for 60p, though that lacked AF, so hard to say where the R6 stands.

Overheating is likely an issue, how bad, we don't know.   Maybe, this is the only real issue with the R6 compared to the X-T4.  

Best wait till its released, and those who have it can advise exactly where it stands.  Its mostly just specultation at the moment.

around 1:33 mark for rolling shutter

14 minutes ago, Daai said:

around 1:33 mark for rolling shutter

Doesn't look too great for 60p to be honest.  However, they're quite extreme pans.  At some point, we'll get proper measurements.  Comparisons to say the S1 would be useful when they arrive.

47 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Doesn't look too great for 60p to be honest.  However, they're quite extreme pans.  At some point, we'll get proper measurements.  Comparisons to say the S1 would be useful when they arrive.

Worst case is 16ms at 60p...... above that is physically impossible so 16ms is very good for FF... 

from the @padam posted video RS in 25p is quite bad similar to 1Dx III but was it oversampled or not?

Thank you @SteveV4D and @Daai for the video sample. IBIS seems to have similar problems as Fuji and it over corrects movements, but will wait for final firmware and proper tests when it comes out. Rolling shutter seems ok in 4k60p. Autofocus is little jumpy but that probably can be corrected in the settings i guess. Overall looks good and I have high hopes for this as I will probably choose R6 over X-T4 which has some serious problems with AF and auto exposure.

Is it normal in reviews when showing graded and ungraded footage to use DIFFERENT footage?     I would have thought you show the same video ungraded and then graded.

Is that what every reviewer does?

Given the newly released overheating table, it seems like there is one video setting where the R6 beats the R5; 4k60p. With the R5 you would need to either use pixel binning (which most likely will give worse image quality) or an APS-C crop, while the R6 uses oversampling with a 1.07 crop.

Canon_EOS_R5_Overheating_2.jpeg.26d403b48498876b1831476a321b7c9f.jpeg

For those who shoot  mostly 4k60p the R6 seems like a good choice.

This might have been mentioned earlier, but the table made it easier to spot.