No culture or heritage in Nikon's Z series

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

@Danyyyel I think S1H and S1 are used on many productions. You just don´t see these productions with Lumix tags. Professionals sometimes do not communicate their camera brands. Nothing shall distract from the message of their customers. GH5 the same. GH5 is still going strong. G100 or whatever it is called is a joke of course.

F3, I love you mentioning this beautiful letter- number- combo. 🙂

Its not because there are a thousand on production sets that its going to enough. What I meant is that 10s of thousands of Nikon users are shooting video more and more now. But also you also have all the pro photo shooters around the world that also have started shooting video and don't have to have 2 kind of bodies anymore. I am talking about my own experience here.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Well, if Nikon wants me to buy some heritage, just release a Z6 in a S3 2000 like body and some 2.8 compact lenses.

s-l400.jpg

They tried it with the DF and it was a failure. I understand for some this is a hobby for me I have zero use of retro style camera. How do you hold this, on my z6 I can control shutter, aperture, ISO, video/photo trigger, AF tracking, changing auto focus mode, FX or DX mode, zoom in or out with only 3 finger and without leaving the viewfinder. My cousin has a XT3, my z6 kills it ergonomically. 

I hear you @Danyyyel and agree that the Z6s could be just about perfect. For my needs anyway and their lens line up is great; 20mm, 35mm and 85mm f1.8’s over 2 bodies... Nails it for me.

Nikon underwhelmed a bit when they launched their mirrorless but I agree in that they do seem underrated and overlooked.

I think there has been more than a bit of an element of going stir crazy these last 3-4 months which has given most of us too much time to overthink stuff in absence of doing.

I just wrote a list of what I need and am sticking to that and trying not to listen to the noise.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I hear you @Danyyyel and agree that the Z6s could be just about perfect. For my needs anyway and their lens line up is great; 20mm, 35mm and 85mm f1.8’s over 2 bodies... Nails it for me.

Nikon underwhelmed a bit when they launched their mirrorless but I agree in that they do seem underrated and overlooked.

I think there has been more than a bit of an element of going stir crazy these last 3-4 months which has given most of us too much time to overthink stuff in absence of doing.

I just wrote a list of what I need and am sticking to that and trying not to listen to the noise.

Yep, I dont know in what world we are living anymore. I mean I saw someone angry on this threat because Nikon is charging 200 usd to give you FF 4K RAW video !!!!!!!!!!! I mean you can get in 2019 a 4k RAW FF camera with excellent auto focus, IBIS, construction, ergonomic etc for 2500 including a Ninja V, that not only gives you the recording but a whole lot of shooting tools for exposure, color monitoring etc.  When I bought my z6, no one told me it would have face and eye detect autofocus, raw video etc... The firmware update they have given gives me big hope, all their lens are esign with video in mind (albeit not for manual use)  I didn't buy this camera... 

Now with the rumor of the S version which is so much closer to a 2.0 version. That doubling of processing power is exiting for even better focus and hopefully 10 bit log internal. Now with all the negative press of the Canon f5 f6 overheating, I am not sure they are going to risk it, because its an S update and I am not sure they will change the body a lot. 

3 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

They tried it with the DF and it was a failure. I understand for some this is a hobby for me I have zero use of retro style camera. How do you hold this, on my z6 I can control shutter, aperture, ISO, video/photo trigger, AF tracking, changing auto focus mode, FX or DX mode, zoom in or out with only 3 finger and without leaving the viewfinder. My cousin has a XT3, my z6 kills it ergonomically. 

Would be for stills, not for video, of course. Not need Fuji style controls, too - know the pros from the advocate of the system, but I prefer dials and buttons.

I like rangefinder camera style for stills because people are a LOT less afraid when you use it on the streets - generally think that is a film camera and don't bother (or is a conversation starter, had I lot when I used my GX7). And for concert shooting, the security don't bother either (the only time that I had a camera not allowed by security was my GH2 - never had problems with GX7,  LX100, GX85 or GX9).

6 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

What I am really sad is that people on site like here (because believe me a lot of people are using the Z for video in Nikon groups etc) don't  give a serious look at what Nikon is doing. As a d810, d750 to the D70 15 years ago user, the most enjoyable camera I have used are my 2 z6. As a hybrid shooter I can just flick a button and switch from video or photo mode.

Now for me the z6 could have been a little bigger, double card slot and 4k 60p and 10 bit and log internal. The double card slot and 4k 60p seems to be coming in a next update about September, october. I would really really like a 10 bit and internal log, it would be a dream come true, but at least if it is not possible with current tech (look at overheating in R5 R6) you have the possibility to use the Ninja V. I mean if a z6 with a Ninja V is too big for anyone, I am out of breath. I mean it is smaller than using an entry level camera like the Nikon D3500 and a flash. And if you do any video seriouly that need 10 bit and Log you will have to carry tripods or Ronin etc.

Now the good part, the z6 is the best experience shooting I have. I mean with the fantastic viewfinder, excellent IBIS, touch screen and best of all autofocus, I can shoot handheld like doing photos. For reportage style that I do for a well known worldwide broadcaster, it is a game changer. Doing B-rolls don't need to put on a tripod anymore. Except for very smooth pan or walking shot that I will use tripod, stabilizer or interview setup and higher end job. The auto-focus is super good and getting better with every extra firmware update. Last year when it was about buying a BM camera to compliment the z6 (60fps 4k and eventually raw) the auto-focus killed that though. This combined with slowmo 120fps at 1080p gives such good quality. That 120 fps is underrated, even if it 1080p it is still gorgeous. I would hope even a 4k 120 fps or even a crop or a 2,7k version, just to intercut it a bit closer to the 4k.

Now it terms of usability, you have 3 U setting button that I configured to 24, 60 and 120 fps with all corresponding shutter speed. I would have liked for them to have included banks that I could choose because I live in a Pal country but shoot for an American one and also for creative job shoot at 24 fps. There are two user configurable button in the front and have configured on to swith from FX to DX mode and the other for changing focus mode. You also have a very nice rear touch LCD with rapid menu that you can also configure to your need. In the end the z6 is the most versatile and ergonomic camera I have ever use. I can change aperture, shutter speed and ISO just with my thumb and upper finger.

Now there are things I have been experimenting lately with the the app, where I can sync timecode using the automatic time which uses gps etc, and rack focusing with it.

The z6 is a great camera for video and stills.  It blows away the A7III and is better than the EOS R.    The reason people on the EOS don't give it a serious look baffles me also.  

The media / press jumped on the Z6 for a number of unwarranted things that just aren't true.  Nikon is not very good at getting the word out and having professionals use the Z6 like they should have. 

This guy is a joke. 

If anyone wonders why Nikon Z system didn't catch on for video you can blame people like Wolfjoke. 

This gets called out for being wrong in his reviews but never does anything but try and create more clickbait. 

kidzrevil1 month ago

"After watching this video again, realistically no one will ever expose their footage like you’ve done in this test. Even with a 12 bit Canon Cinema camera a DP would never underexpose their footage like this. I guarantee you if ran this test with a 10 bit GH5 it would fall apart too especially since internal compression will start “throwing out” underexposed data. You should do this test over and expose the image in a realistic way in a real world setting. My z6 footage looks nothing like this."

Ken Jones1 year ago

Nikon Z6 records GOOD VIDEO. I don't have the 8bit banding issue you presented. I took our Z6 and did a super quick test of a twilight sky. 1/60, f/8, ISO 640, 126.5 Mbit/s, Flat Profile. The video looked good! My Z6 does 8-bit video onto the XQD card just fine.

15 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Why do they keep releasing APS-C bodies but only ever release zoom lenses for them?

That is exactly the point Thom Hogan makes over and over again! Where are the DX primes, where are the DX pro zooms? Aside from the 35mm f1.8 and 17-55mm f/2.8 (& I guess the Nikon 16-80mm f/2.8-4), the Nikon was very lacking in having any lenses to pair with the D500/D300/D7x00 cameras. Thank goodness Tokina and Sigma filled in the gaps with their 11-20 + 18-35 + 50-100/50-150 lenses. 

16 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Now there are things I have been experimenting lately with the the app, where I can sync timecode using the automatic time which uses gps etc, and rack focusing with it.

Ohhhhh.... tell me more about the timecode syncing with GPS time??

This might be then a perfect match with this:
https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/06/26/dish-tc-pro-universal-timecode/

8 hours ago, Super8 said:

This guy is a joke. 

If anyone wonders why Nikon Z system didn't catch on for video you can blame people like Wolfjoke. 

This gets called out for being wrong in his reviews but never does anything but try and create more clickbait. 

Holy shit. This guy needs to learn to use cameras before he starts making videos about them. What the hell. 

• Super Members
13 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Yep, I dont know in what world we are living anymore. I mean I saw someone angry on this threat because Nikon is charging 200 usd to give you FF 4K RAW video !!!!!!!!!!! 

Hang on, are you referring to my comment here ???

On 7/8/2020 at 2:40 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Whether it was down to Nikon themselves, Atomos, the patent lawyers or all three, the delay in getting the ProResRAW functionality from announcement to actually being deployed has really set them back with the Z series.

Then having to return the camera for a £200 hardware modification was adding insult to injury really.

If they could have released it at the time of the announcement, it would really have given the Z cameras a massive boost as there wouldn't have been anything out there at that time to compete with it but it just lost all momentum the longer it went on

5 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Holy shit. This guy needs to learn to use cameras before he starts making videos about them. What the hell. 

He knows how to use it.  

Every Nikon review he's done has been negative on purpose and a hit job.  

• 3 weeks later...

I do hope that Nikon can survive but the latest Q1 results look incredibly bad.  Revenue was down 63% while Canon dropped 30% during the same period.  Nikon's market share must be well below 20% now and Nikon is now forecasting a 5B restructuring expense for later this year to slash costs. based on this new norm.  This is going to hit R&D and the future product pipeline beyond this year.

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/08/06/nikon-q1-financial-results-are-out-2.aspx/

7 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

I do hope that Nikon can survive but the latest Q1 results look incredibly bad.  Revenue was down 63% while Canon dropped 30% during the same period.  Nikon's market share must be well below 20% now and Nikon is now forecasting a 5B restructuring expense for later this year to slash costs. based on this new norm.  This is going to hit R&D and the future product pipeline beyond this year.

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/08/06/nikon-q1-financial-results-are-out-2.aspx/

They need to open up their mount for cheap to Tamron and Sigma and get 10-bit video in the z6s.

There is no way they catch up if they rely just on their lens development alone.