Nikon will announce Z6s/Z7s updates, with dual card slots and 4K 60fps

IronFilm

28 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Wish they'd go all out with video. 

Prores RAW in the Z6 is compelling but its had so many issues and you have to send it in for an upgrade. 

Nikon needs to at least match Fuji's internal video specs and they should throw in RAW like in the Sigma FP with a USB-C out. Priced at around $2000 that would be a compelling option for video. They also need to get their AF in order. It's not the greatest on the Z6 and its a mess on the Z50. Autofocus in while shooting in N-LOG is also a must. 

Agreed. Video is important more then ever now and the demand for hybrid video/photo is rising.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Cripple hammer, Nikon version: 1,7x crop in the Nikon Z5's 4k. This is getting ridiculous.

If they just had 4k30 full sensor would move a lot of units.

If it had full-sensor over-sampled 4k30, you'd basically have a Z6 with dual SD slots, a slightly smaller buffer and shooting rate, and no top screen. It wouldn't just move a lot of units, it'd completely cannibalize the Z6 and Z6S.

Once the early adopter tax wears off, the Z5 will most likely be competing against the EOS RP - and it should come out way in front in that comparison, seeing how it has IBIS and (unless Nikon have really been going to town on the cripple hammer) a flat profile, peaking, and zebras.

12 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Cripple hammer, Nikon version: 1,7x crop in the Nikon Z5's 4k. This is getting ridiculous.

If they just had 4k30 full sensor would move a lot of units.

It is a pity. But it priced very low, and remember it won't be too many months away when Nikon starts offering rebates / sales. 

Thus once it hits that price point, I don't see any other FF camera competing for video from Sony/Canon/Panasonic/etc for this price. 

12 hours ago, David Bowgett said:

If it had full-sensor over-sampled 4k30, you'd basically have a Z6 with dual SD slots, a slightly smaller buffer and shooting rate, and no top screen. It wouldn't just move a lot of units, it'd completely cannibalize the Z6 and Z6S.

Once the early adopter tax wears off, the Z5 will most likely be competing against the EOS RP - and it should come out way in front in that comparison, seeing how it has IBIS and (unless Nikon have really been going to town on the cripple hammer) a flat profile, peaking, and zebras.

For some buyers (in particular some photographers), the Z5 is already eating Z6's lunch. 

45 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

For some buyers (in particular some photographers), the Z5 is already eating Z6's lunch. 

Yeah on the local wedding group seems like quite a few ppl gonna get Z5, they wasnt that keen with z6/z7..

18 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Wish they'd go all out with video. 

Prores RAW in the Z6 is compelling but its had so many issues and you have to send it in for an upgrade. 

Nikon needs to at least match Fuji's internal video specs and they should throw in RAW like in the Sigma FP with a USB-C out. Priced at around $2000 that would be a compelling option for video. They also need to get their AF in order. It's not the greatest on the Z6 and its a mess on the Z50. Autofocus in while shooting in N-LOG is also a must. 

Have you actually used prores raw in Z6? It has far less issues than presented by some youtubers. And I find AF on native lenses very good in video mode. In fact I was shooting on 2 cameras, Canon C200 beside Z6, and AF is actually tracking better on Z6. Believe it or not. No hunting, smooth transition. They really made those S lenses great for video. There's really little not to like about them. Lack of linear focus is the only thing I can think of. Maybe people judge too much by the looks these days? They might lack solid look (although I dig it), hence they are not good?

18 hours ago, David Bowgett said:

Z6, yeah, probably. If Nikon enable 4k60 in the Z6s, probably not.

The case is that I don't think that Z6 and Z7 sells very well - z5, even canibalizing the Z6, could finally bring more people to Z mount.

But for stills, yeah, the z5 is VERY compelling.

6 minutes ago, Django said:

So just when Canon & Sony are finally going out guns blazing with top video specs... Nikon decides to go full reverse with 1.7x crop and still no log or 10-bit? 

tenor.gif

...on a low-end camera that's intended as a competitor for the A7ii (no 4K at all, worse battery life, weaker IBIS implementation) and the EOS RP (awful, barely usable 4K with a comparable crop, even worse battery life, no IBIS at all). The Z6S is the one that's going to be going up against Canon's and Sony's new entries.

2 hours ago, David Bowgett said:

...on a low-end camera that's intended as a competitor for the A7ii (no 4K at all, worse battery life, weaker IBIS implementation) and the EOS RP (awful, barely usable 4K with a comparable crop, even worse battery life, no IBIS at all). The Z6S is the one that's going to be going up against Canon's and Sony's new entries.

The thing is if Nikon wants to make an impact they have to BEAT the specs of their competition, matching them is not enough to gain back market share. 

4 hours ago, Zeng said:

Have you actually used prores raw in Z6? It has far less issues than presented by some youtubers. And I find AF on native lenses very good in video mode. In fact I was shooting on 2 cameras, Canon C200 beside Z6, and AF is actually tracking better on Z6. Believe it or not. No hunting, smooth transition. They really made those S lenses great for video. There's really little not to like about them. Lack of linear focus is the only thing I can think of. Maybe people judge too much by the looks these days? They might lack solid look (although I dig it), hence they are not good?

Is there still flickering issues or was that just with N-log? 

The Z6 is still on my radar. Its a unique option at its price point to get Full Frame RAW. The Sigma FP is as well but it has micro HDMI out and the internal RAW is uncompressed, not the most practical storage wise. 

Right now I'd be tempted to go with an S1 plus external recorder, full frame prores up to 4k 60p or do 4k to 1080p and get beautiful edit ready 1080p prores. For around $2400 thats a great deal. 

Or a Z6 plus external recorder. 12 bit RAW full frame 4k 24fps or 1080p up to 60p. For around $2000 that is a great deal. With an adapter you get Nikon lenses with decent video auto focus. That is a huge plus. 

I'd rather get a BM Pocket 6k but I simply don't want 6k. It would upset my PC and I don't want to shoot cropped 2k BRAW as a 1.6 crop is already pushing it. Yes you can shoot prores but than you lose dynamic range and that sucks. Blackmagic needs to let us shoot 2k BRAW with no crop, lineskipping or whatever is fine just make it a damn option. 

25 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I'd rather get a BM Pocket 6k but I simply don't want 6k. It would upset my PC and I don't want to shoot cropped 2k BRAW as a 1.6 crop is already pushing it. Yes you can shoot prores but than you lose dynamic range and that sucks

Perhaps it doesn't suck as much as you think: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82199

13 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Blackmagic needs to let us shoot 2k BRAW with no crop, lineskipping or whatever is fine just make it a damn option. 

Unfortunately that is not possible unless you specifically design the sensor for it like the 12K