Selling my Blackmagic, missing my 5D

boukmanmutt

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/19/2020 at 2:31 AM, Django said:

OP sounds like he wants the full frame look on a tight budget,  is coming from Canon, and has an amateur hybrid interest.

Sounds exactly to whom the EOS RP is marketed for. Add the cheap but great RF 35mm F1.8 and you got yourself a decent entry-level FF hybrid & quality fast prime lens combo for under 1.5K €.

The EOS RP doesn't however give you the so called "full frame look" if you're shooting in 4K. (not to mention the various other downsides to shooting video with the EOS RP)

17 minutes ago, boukmanmutt said:

isn't it too old?

No it is not!
And if he doesn't care about not being able to ever use NX Mount lenses on a better camera in the future, then the NX1 is worth a look. 

14 hours ago, boukmanmutt said:

- A used GH5 (some are found at 1150-1200 euros) with one year warranty

Add a used Panasonic G9 to your list. 

On 7/19/2020 at 3:47 PM, josdr said:

Fuck the full frame "look" (Respectfully) 😃. That is for conceited brides and bokeh whores that cannot stage a photo to save their lifes.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

The EOS RP doesn't however give you the so called "full frame look" if you're shooting in 4K. (not to mention the various other downsides to shooting video with the EOS RP)

4K crop has been addressed.. you’re still getting FF stills & FHD video for $999 Retail. 

Obviously if the budget was bigger there are a plethora of better FF options, but in that price range it’s either RP or crop sensor for MILC hybrid.

Lol it isn't about me dude. The topic says: Selling my Blackmagic, missing my 5D.

For his budget RP is the closest he's gonna get to a 5D but with MILC advantages, DPAF & RF compatibility . 

And for 4K, 1.6x crop isn't that big of a difference to Fuji's 1.5x crop. 

I highly doubt at his level, 10-bit H265 is going to be a priority.

You don't need to film in 10 bit to see the difference in video quality of each camera - not just in DR and RS, in 4k which the OP mentioned wanting to use the RP doesn't have DPAF so the AF advantage goes to the Fuji. There's 4K up to 60p with Fuji compared with 30p of the RP, and the 120p of the Fuji is also very usable. The video quality of the RP is poor in my opinion.

For photos the RP does have full frame and slightly better AF

Just think we owe it to the OP to give them the full picture

Those are all valid arguments.. but again.. he is selling his crop sensor 4K Blackmagic.. and missing his FF FHD 5D2.

Within that particular perspective and within his budget constraints, I was advising what would probably best suit him.

You can push whatever camera you want, it doesn't negate my advice as you were previously insinuating by your 'canon die hard' comment..

But he says he wants to film in 4k...

Anyway no worries the OP can decide for themselves what is important - I guess to me the difference in video performance is so big between the 2 cameras I find it hard to fathom on a video centric forum the RP being suggested as a better choice than the XT3. The quality comparison isn't even close

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, boukmanmutt said:

It will but as you have EF lenses as well, you would likely be better off buying an EF>Fuji X adapter and then using an F>EF adapter between them when you want to use the Nikon lenses.

The F>EF adapters are thin so you shouldn't get any play like you would from stacking other adapters.

Doing it this way saves you money obviously in not having to buy two adapters but also not having to carry them.

For a little bit more than the price of that Kipon adapter you should be able to pick up a smart EF>Fuji X reducer such as the Viltrox EF-FX2 which will give you the speedboost functionality for both lens types but will also mean that you will be able to benefit from Auto Focus when your Canon lenses are attached to it.

12 hours ago, Django said:

And for 4K, 1.6x crop isn't that big of a difference to Fuji's 1.5x crop. 

It is a serious problem in the sense that the RF Mount lenses are a big mismatch for that "crop factor" vs the Fuji X Mount lenses which are perfectly made to match up with that sensor's FoV

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It is a serious problem in the sense that the RF Mount lenses are a big mismatch for that "crop factor" vs the Fuji X Mount lenses which are perfectly made to match up with that sensor's FoV

Not really. If you want “perfectly matched” lenses on the RP for 4K, just use EF-S lenses with the included adapter. EF-S have a 1.6x crop which perfectly matches the 4K 1.6x crop.

And for EF/RF lenses, it isn’t that big of an issue either.. 35mm roughly converts to 50mm.. 50mm to 80mm etc. 

It is similar to Fuji where you buy a 23mm Fuji lens to get 35mm FoV.. a 35mm to get a 50mm etc.

Same type of math you do with FF cine glass on S35 cams.

Its no biggie and less of a hassle than using focal reducers IMO.

It’s not unusual to own several lenses you know.. kinda the point of an interchangeable lens system.

A lot of EOS R/RP users might have some fast EF/RF primes for double duty (35mm/50mm) and an EF-S zoom like the Sigma 18-35 for 4K crop.

Again my recommendation of the RP is because OP said he misses the full frame look of his 5D2 and he’s on a tight budget.

Recommending a Fuji or a Panny with focal reducers is IMO just as convoluted from my perspective if not more so, and you’re losing the best in class Canon AF which might come in very handy for shooting a kid like OP mentioned.

Obviously if his budget was higher I’d recommend a Z6/A73/R6.

If the topic was what is the best value APS-C camera on the market, my response would be XT2/XH1/XT3.

Now let’s leave it at that and let dude chose for himself, all options have been clearly laid out..

8 hours ago, Django said:

Not really. If you want “perfectly matched” lenses on the RP for 4K, just use EF-S lenses with the included adapter. EF-S have a 1.6x crop which perfectly matches the 4K 1.6x crop.

Are you sure Canon allows flawless performance of EF-S lenses on the RP? As after all we know Canon doesn't let EF-S lenses get used on EF DSLRs! (unlike Nikon which made it quite effortless to use DX on FX DSLRs)

Plus even if it works, you've still then got the usual hassle of adapters. But even worse than usual, you can't use any EF-S lens in FF still mode!

Yes I am sure of this. RP automatically crops the sensor to 1.6x both in stills & video when EF-S lenses are mounted.

The Canon EF/RF adapter is hassle free, much more so than third party focal reducers & adapters as the AF and lens communication is flawless.