Selling my Blackmagic, missing my 5D

boukmanmutt

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, boukmanmutt said:

guys what do you think about BMPCC 4k price? Consider that i only did record like 8-9 hours of video on it. It's in great condition

What would be a fair price?

They are currently €1300 new from CVP, ProAV, WEX etc so it depends on how many accessories you've got with it but one thing in your favour is that no one seems to have any in stock.

So if someone wants one then they will currently have to be looking at a used one so your €1100 is not unreasonable.

Another thing in your favour if you are just looking to swap it out for an EOS-R price wise is that the price of those second hand will likely get a cheaper tomorrow as people chop them in for the new models.

So even if you get less for the Pocket4K, you'll be paying less for the EOS-R.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Considering that they're pretty hard to get ahold of in some markets, and BMD is notorious for hit-or-miss quality control (the two BMD cameras I bought new both came with problems out of the box and had to be exchanged), I'd say a practically new and somewhat tested (8-9 hours is better than nothing) BMPCC 4K should go for not much less than a new one. If someone's telling you it's too expensive, that's fine, but somewhere out there is a buyer who'd be willing to snatch it up. I don't know, knock off the price by 100 Euros?

56 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Concerning the price of a Pocket 4K. Is it one of the first ones, still capable of recording CDNG? Those go for higher prices compared to the later versions, already shipped with BRAW.

YES it's one of the first, it used to record CDNG,

what would be the price then?

45 minutes ago, boukmanmutt said:

YES it's one of the first, it used to record CDNG,

That means the new owner would be able to downgrade the firmware and record CDNG with it. There are probably some people who want to do it (not many, but those who feel strongly that uncompressed CDNG has advantages for them over BRAW would be willing to pay extra for it). Rather than guess, why don't you put it on eBay and let people bid it up?

3 hours ago, boukmanmutt said:

I HATE the first moments when you're about to choose a new camera because personally i'm always worried to make the wrong choice

Shoot more. Worry less. 

Remember, you've only used your current camera for 8 hours of shooting.....

"Shoot more. Worry less. " would be a good mantra for you.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Could be another option for you.

Take the Pocket 4K this weekend and make a short film with it. Do ergonimics, workflow, operation etc. hinder you to achieve the shots you want, and if so, would another camera be better in these areas?

What kind of videos are you filming most of the time? Narrative, documentary, Fashion, Musicvideos, Family-Clips? 

2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Could be another option for you.

Take the Pocket 4K this weekend and make a short film with it. Do ergonimics, workflow, operation etc. hinder you to achieve the shots you want, and if so, would another camera be better in these areas?

What kind of videos are you filming most of the time? Narrative, documentary, Fashion, Musicvideos, Family-Clips? 

You should go back and read the original post. He said "I have always worked with video rather than photography (which remained an amateur hobby for me), so last year I sold my old and faithful 5D mark II to buy the blackmagic pocket 4K. This year I have worked very little with videos (I am a writer and now I concentrate mainly on this  job) and I regretted bitterly that I bought the blackmagic. I'd like to go back to a classic DSLR, and I'm not sure which to buy after selling the pocket cinema camera."

He's not looking for a video camera. He wants a hybrid camera, which the BMPCC 4K is not.

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Shoot more. Worry less. 

Great mantra, i Will really put this in my mind.

3 hours ago, bjohn said:

You should go back and read the original post. He said "I have always worked with video rather than photography (which remained an amateur hobby for me), so last year I sold my old and faithful 5D mark II to buy the blackmagic pocket 4K. This year I have worked very little with videos (I am a writer and now I concentrate mainly on this  job) and I regretted bitterly that I bought the blackmagic. I'd like to go back to a classic DSLR, and I'm not sure which to buy after selling the pocket cinema camera."

He's not looking for a video camera. He wants a hybrid camera, which the BMPCC 4K is not.

Yes that's the point. I was not into photography but I used to take some beautiful pictures with my 5D Mark II . Now a son is coming and i know i will want to take pics of him and i'll need a good camera for it, but at the same time I don't want to lose the possibility to shoot a nice "film look" 4k video if i need to.  That's why i'm searching for a good dslr (with the budget problem, the money i have is "to receive" my son so I want to spend only the money i will get for the blackmagic).

6 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Sure, I was only building on IronFilms Mantra.

No matter what camera it will be: Autofocus and Stabilisation need to be an important factor as you´ll need them for both, photography and videography. So none of the Blackmagic ones 😉

What do you suggest me?

8 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Sure, I was only building on IronFilms Mantra.

It is not a bad idea to recommend going out and shooting more with the BMPCC4K, perhaps @boukmanmutt can fall in love again with the BMPCC4K? 

If so, then would it be such a crazy idea to own *two* cameras?? Could then pick up a compact GX850 for just a hundred bucks (or at least, sub $200) to handle the stills needs. (and a little bit of casual shooting too) And the lenses can easily be shared between both the P4K and the Panasonic. 

8 hours ago, boukmanmutt said:

What do you suggest me?

Myself, I really like using the Pocket 4k, so keeping it would be my suggestion, as long as you don´t need IBIS, Autofocus and as long as you like the grading-process.

The files you get from it are great, both BRAW and Prores. 

In that case, keep it and get a cheap but good DSLR or Mirrorless for the Photography side.

If you DO need IBIS, Autofocus and/or don´t really want to do the grading, and/or want one camera to cover both things the candidates are: Panasonic G9, Fuji XT-3, Sony A6xxx, LX-100.

On 7/10/2020 at 11:49 AM, ade towell said:

Of all the cameras already mentioned that also take photos and fit your budget, the Fuji XT3 wipes the floor with the rest if video is important to you (imo). It doesn't have IBIS though

Hi guys, I'm selling my blackmagic tomorrow (i hope), i'm still thinking what to buy next

My budget will be at max 1400 euros,  i'm really still confused on what should i buy. I thought about the G9 but as i told you before, video is really important to me and the g9 look is too sharp not that cinematic.

I love the canon look and i'd love to buy the EOS R, but from what i see it needs an adapter and the price of a used EOS R is at about 1600 euros, too much.

The fuji Xt3 is great but i'd basically have to buy new lenses.

My main problem is the lenses i have : i have a 28mm olympus, a 12-60 mm olympus zoom (4/3 mount) and a beautiful Nikkor 50 mm 1.2 that is my favorite lens and that i used to use on my mark II with an adapter.

The lenses I have point to a Micro 4/3 camera such the g9 or the GH5, but i really wanted to go full frame. As I said, i found a cheap fuji (850 used with 2 years warranty) but i basically have no lenses for the fuji, maybe the only one i could adapt is the Nikkor i guess.

It's not an easy choice. 

The Fuji is a great point. My main disappointment is the micro HDMI and H265. I wish I could get an external recorder and shoot prores as I hate having to transcode. 

That said the Fuji is an extreme bargain for $850. 10 bit 4k 60p, beautiful 120p HD. Great color profiles, decent dynamic range. 
If you want manual focus lenses Nikon's are great choices. Get a lens turbo speedbooster for $150 and get a full frame look. Manual focus is doable as you can punch in while recording.

I'd not put too much trust in continuous auto focus. The kit lens 18-55 works decent, I'd skip the rest unless you just use them for photography or single focus. The Viltrox lenses do a good job locking on but if you are doing a focus transition they are really jumpy. 

The Fuji is one of the best choices for video right now IMHO. With a cheap aftermarket battery grip you get really long battery life(3x batteries)

S1 or S1H is right there too but considerably more expensive. 

I love the BM pocket cameras but they aren't really very usable unless rigged up. The Fuji with a battery grip is a really small package that just works. 

8 hours ago, boukmanmutt said:

It's not an easy choice. 

It never is.

The only way to work out what is a good compromise for you is to work out how you shoot and what your priorities are.  

Or think about it the other way, what are you willing to sacrifice?  There is no perfect camera, but when you sacrifice one or two things then often there are options that meet all your remaining requirements.

and the only way to really understand your requirements is to shoot.