Selling my Blackmagic, missing my 5D

boukmanmutt

Hi all guys, I'll explain my dilemma and I hope you can give me some suggestions. I have always worked with video rather than photography (which remained an amateur hobby for me), so last year I sold my old and faithful 5D mark II to buy the blackmagic pocket 4K. This year I have worked very little with videos (I am a writer and now I concentrate mainly on this  job) and I regretted bitterly that I bought the blackmagic. I'd like to go back to a classic DSLR, and I'm not sure which to buy after selling the pocket cinema camera. I am thinking about buying a used GH5 since I already have some 4/3 micro lenses, but the appeal of the canon is strong. My problem? The budget: I will spend exactly how much I will be able to earn from the sale of blackmagic and its accessories, which I don't think will be more than 1300 euros at most. I'd like your suggestion. What would you do in my situation? Thank you

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What specifically makes you want to go back to a DSLR (just DSLRs, or do you include mirrorless too?) for shooting with? As this is kinda odd to want to go backwards to a DSLR (especially as you're not into photography). What exactly makes you "regret bitterly" that you bought the blackmagic?

If you can nail down these answers, it would be easier to figure out what is the best cameras for you to consider. 

Basically what IronFilm said.

Myself, I started with miniDV, then HDV, bought a 550D/T2i and got a Blackmagic Camera after selling it. Besides the fact that the T2i is a good camera for photogaphy, I didn´t miss anything in terms of the video-functions when using the Blackmagic.

What was it about the 5Dii that you now miss with the Pocket 4K? 

What makes the DSLR-Type attracktive in your opinion? The GH5 is a great camera, but different compared to the Pocket 4K and also different compared to the 5Dii.

Just give us some more information about why exactly you think about switching back. Think about what you want to film, workflow, lenses, accesories, shooting-habits etc.

In addition to the above questions, and considering your budget restrictions, I'd suggest you think about the complete setup of camera/lens/accessories which you will need.

The GH5 would have the advantage of taking your MFT lenses, but if you sell the Blackmagic then maybe you can sell the MFT lenses and use that money towards the new setup.

There is no perfect camera, so the best way to go for you will be to align the strengths and weaknesses of what you get with the priorities / preferences / situations that you shoot in.

hi guys thanks for your answers...

to make you understand ... it is true I am not a photographer but I liked taking a photograph every now and then, now that my son will be born even more I will have the desire to take some nice pics, as my old 5d Mark II allowed me to do. To be clear, I would like to go back to something "in between". Let me take some great photos but also a high quality video. The 5d Mark II also had a special touch in the video, but I don't know if this style remains in today's DSLRs. I would like you to make videos in 4k but, as I explained to you, the problem is my budget: I have to find something that does not exceed the money that I will make by selling the blackmagic. P.S. I love blackmagic, which is an exceptional camera, too much to keep in the closet. That's why I want to sell it.

7 minutes ago, boukmanmutt said:

hi guys thanks for your answers...

to make you understand ... it is true I am not a photographer but I liked taking a photograph every now and then, now that my son will be born even more I will have the desire to take some nice pics, as my old 5d Mark II allowed me to do. To be clear, I would like to go back to something "in between". Let me take some great photos but also a high quality video. The 5d Mark II also had a special touch in the video, but I don't know if this style remains in today's DSLRs. I would like you to make videos in 4k but, as I explained to you, the problem is my budget: I have to find something that does not exceed the money that I will make by selling the blackmagic. P.S. I love blackmagic, which is an exceptional camera, too much to keep in the closet. That's why I want to sell it.

If your having a kid, get a used 5D Mark 3 and a used 24-70 and be done with it. 

I did not enjoy the Blackmagic 4K very much when I tried it. Was not impressed with the DR or handling. 

Just now, Dunjoye said:

I'll go for a used Eos R, if I was in your shoes.  Sounds like you want a hybrid, that does both decent enough.

5DMKii is a old system. Apart from photo, I can't see any appeal in owning one in this day and age.

Or this option works as well, and just adapt an older lens.

Sony A6400? 
Class leading in neither stills nor video but a competent all rounder. Lots of cheap lenses to adapt & play with with perfectly adequate AF lenses for day to day use. Convenient size too for you to take anywhere with the family - not a trivial consideration. 
What accessories are you selling with the P4k?

18 minutes ago, boukmanmutt said:

what about the 5d Mark III? Is it still any good to buy it used?

Isn´t capable of doing 4k, you could install MagicLantern on it and experiment with Raw, but I wouldn´t chose the 5Diii.

The EOS R could be a great Option. Newer Hardware and a solid combination of Photography and Video. The GH5, as another option works great handheld, ideally combining IBIS with IS of the lens.

What about your Lenses? Did you use EF-Lenses with the 4k or MFT?

This would be another factor in this equation. You could use EF-Lenses with your new Camera if you have some.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Isn´t capable of doing 4k, you could install MagicLantern on it and experiment with Raw, but I wouldn´t chose the 5Diii.

The EOS R could be a great Option. Newer Hardware and a solid combination of Photography and Video. The GH5, as another option works great handheld, ideally combining IBIS with IS of the lens.

What about your Lenses? Did you use EF-Lenses with the 4k or MFT?

This would be another factor in this equation. You could use EF-Lenses with your new Camera if you have some.

I was taking a look at the EOS R and it looks great. Definitely one of my possible choices.

And yes, I will have a problem with the lenses since I sold some of the ones i used. I still have a 50 mm 1.2 ef and a 28mm 3.5 with the adaptor. Sadly I sold my sigma 14 mm that i loved. So basically I would have to buy a pair or lenses if i go back to ef full frame.

Price range for a  used EoS R in europe goes between 1200-1300 euros, so i guess i would spend all my money on the body

1 hour ago, boukmanmutt said:

The Sony A6400 looks fine, i may think about ti

I would second this as well. I'm still using a Sony NEX 6 and it is an outstanding camera; it's actually got better low-light performance than the anything in the A6000 series, although the video is excruciatingly bad so I never use it. If you think you'd use video at all, the A6400 would be a good choice. The great thing about e-mount is that you can adapt almost anything to it (except micro four-thirds), including an enormous range of cheap vintage lenses. I've been building up a small set of 50-year-old Minolta Rokkors and they just sing on this camera (although since they were designed for full frame you won't really be able to get a wide angle...a 24mm on this camera ends up being 39 mm in full frame terms). The Rokkors duplicate much of Leica's look for a tiny fraction of the cost: my 55mm MC Rokkor cost me about $50 on eBay, shipped directly from Japan. Some of the others are more expensive but the excellent 100mm is typically around $100 USD on eBay. Here's an example shot of the Rokkor 55mm on the NEX-6:

Sensitive Fern

and here's a shot using the Rokkor 85mm (unfortunately mine has some fungus so I won't be using it any more but this photo came out well:

Église de la Visitation

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, bjohn said:

The great thing about e-mount is that you can adapt almost anything to it (except micro four-thirds), including an enormous range of cheap vintage lenses. 

You can actually use micro four thirds lenses on them too.

Not necessarily that useful for native electronic lenses from Panasonic and Olympus but a lot of 3rd party mft mount lenses like Meike cover  APS-C .

Also useful for not having to buy two PL adapters in my case.

Sounds like budget is very important to you, as you're quite tight with what you can spend, plus it seems you've got only a very limited kit (thus any spare money left over from buying the body would help out here). 

Thus I'd recommend you consider the Panasonic G9 (it has 4K 10bit too, like the GH5) or even the Panasonic G85! (only 8bit, but massively cheaper)

The Fujifilm X-T3/X-T30/X-T200 are all worth a look too.