H.266 Codec Released

tupp

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
43 minutes ago, tupp said:

Press release here.

I've never even tried H.265!

From the link:

"After devoting several years to its research and standardization, Fraunhofer HHI (together with partners from industry including Apple, Ericsson, Intel, Huawei, Microsoft, Qualcomm, and Sony) is celebrating the release and official adoption of the new global video coding standard H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC). This new standard offers improved compression, which reduces data requirements by around 50% of the bit rate relative to the previous standard H.265/High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) without compromising visual quality. In other words, H.266/VVC offers faster video transmission for equal perceptual quality. Overall, H.266/VVC provides efficient transmission and storage of all video resolutions from SD to HD up to 4K and 8K, while supporting high dynamic range video and omnidirectional 360° video."

Emphasis is mine.

H265 provided about a 50% reduction in bitrate for the same visual quality over h264, so comparatively, h266 looks like it might be 25% the data rates for similar quality.

19 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

crazy, H.265 is not widely adopted and now we have H.266, not sure if somebody beside tech nerds are even going to consider it.

These things take a while to roll out, that's for sure.  Especially if implemented in hardware.  Of course, maybe manufacturers will skip h265 in preference of h266 when the hardware is available?

Thinking about this further, it will likely first appear in streaming services, where (for browser viewing at least) they can implement it in the client and the server almost immediately and get the benefits straight away.  I would imagine that bandwidth would be one of the largest costs of running a streaming service?

From there it will take longer to work its way through the whole pipeline.

2 hours ago, kye said:

Thinking about this further, it will likely first appear in streaming services, where (for browser viewing at least) they can implement it in the client and the server almost immediately and get the benefits straight away.  I would imagine that bandwidth would be one of the largest costs of running a streaming service?

Minimising the cost of media storage and distribution (bandwidth cost) is what has always driven the development of data compression. It is the reason that broadcast TV originally used interlaced image scanning (it halves the transmission bandwidth compared to using 'progressive' frames at the same picture update rate).

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Hopefully the license issue is not a cluster f**k like h.265

What's the problem with H.265/HEVC licensing - it's handled by MPEG-LA in the same way as MPEG-2 & H.264 as far as I know (and it's quite cheap - free up to 100,000 units per year, $0.20 per unit over that - see https://www.mpegla.com/wp-content/uploads/HEVCweb.pdf )

1 hour ago, ac6000cw said:

What's the problem with H.265/HEVC licensing - it's handled by MPEG-LA in the same way as MPEG-2 & H.264 as far as I know (and it's quite cheap - free up to 100,000 units per year, $0.20 per unit over that - see https://www.mpegla.com/wp-content/uploads/HEVCweb.pdf )

The problem is there are more than just MPEG LA for HEVC.. a few other companies too.

picture+3.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike Mgee said:

I will put $$ that the new Sony A7SIII coming out in the following weeks will have H.266 in it.

I’ll forgive it so long as I can still record to Prores externally over HDMI...  (preferably a full size HDMI connector but I’m not optimistic about that.)

5 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

As it is even more compressed, wont our pc's struggle even more then h264, h265? 

Without actually understanding how it works, I'd say most likely.

All the more reason to think of it like a capture format rather than an intermediary format.

I've heard that many/most/??? productions render their footage into Prores HQ and then never go back to the capture, rendering the final output from the prores files.  I'd imagine that really high end productions wouldn't be like this, and amateur stuff where we can naval gaze optimise the final product for as long as we like won't be like this, but for folks seeking out a living the quality difference wouldn't matter enough to justify the expense.

You will see those 50% reductions most likely on higher resolutions 8K and above. It probably won’t be implemented for another 5-8 years is my guess, and then only in big streaming companies perhaps with dedicated hardware decoding on the client side. Expect massive encodes times.

Not a great capture codec at all, even compared to H265.

9 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

crazy, H.265 is not widely adopted and now we have H.266, not sure if somebody beside tech nerds are even going to consider it.

H266 offers some nice advantages, and has broad industry support with major companies backing it. 
We want see H266 used by many immediately overnight, or even within the next couple of years, but it likely will happen. I already watch quite a decent chunk of what I download in H265

8 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Weissman score 2.89, highest ever recorded.  Amazing.

Does H266 use middle out compression?

https://youtu.be/uFYy3oEnzVg