Yongnuo YN450M - phone with M43 sensor

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wow.  Points for ambition and experimentation, but yeah, not so great.

Is there a fundamental issue of lens size relating to sensor size?  ie, larger sensors means larger lenses because the focal length has to get larger as the sensor gets larger in order to keep a consistent FOV.

I also don't think it would fit in my pocket with the FD 70-210/4 on it, and the 14/2.5 pancake would be only be pocketable in very loose clothing.  Maybe the Olympus lens cap lenses would be a good fit?  Assuming you could actually get good images from it of course!

I know people want to instantly take a photo and upload it to Instagram or social media of choice, but I feel like there is Much better way to do this than to have some bloated android phone operating system.

technologies that come to mind are WiFi6 and Apple AirDrop.

You could easily have fast enough speeds (up to 9.6Gbps) and seamless “push to phone” in the background for photos. Some kind of streaming protocol would need to be used for video.

No App

One time configuration

That way smartphones can stay smartphones without some lenses protruding out the front and cameras can have fast physical controls  and snappy boot times and non of this touch screen only rubbish.

Improve the communication protocols. There is a ton of slack in the line.

Or better yet, realize there is a benefit of not everything being connected with apps and notifications and social crap.

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I know people want to instantly take a photo and upload it to Instagram or social media of choice, but I feel like there is Much better way to do this than to have some bloated android phone operating system.

technologies that come to mind are WiFi6 and Apple AirDrop.

You could easily have fast enough speeds (up to 9.6Gbps) and seamless “push to phone” in the background for photos. Some kind of streaming protocol would need to be used for video.

No App

One time configuration

That way smartphones can stay smartphones without some lenses protruding out the front and cameras can have fast physical controls  and snappy boot times and non of this touch screen only rubbish.

Improve the communication protocols. There is a ton of slack in the line.

Or better yet, realize there is a benefit of not everything being connected with apps and notifications and social crap.

I agree.

It's easy to get used to the manual nature of SD cards and converting footage and to stop seeing how antiquated the process really is.  Anyone who thinks this is common sense can get a reality check by explaining the workflow to anyone under 20 - but be warned that the 'open and honest' feedback might be a shock!

Even if it was via an app, being able to open an app and see thumbnails of what's on the camera and interact with them in useful ways would be good.  Even if it was a case of the app being more of a configuration tool where you can link it to your social media accounts or to your file sharing devices and then be able to use the camera to do the stuff, which might be easier as it has more buttons so can use the screen as a display instead of having to show the UI as well.

While I'm travelling my wife takes her own photos of the trip on her phone and shares them on facebook for the relatives to all see.  If you take the sequence of operations to be:

1. Take a bunch of photos or video
  2. Select some images
  3. Adjust those so they look nice (cropping, basic colour adjustments)
  4. Share on social

The workflow on a camera / computer might take 20 times as long perhaps, and heaven help you if you're on Mac and want to draw on the image or put a comment there - now you're editing the image in photoshop because there's no equivalent of Paint on OSX!  

Even if your workflow is about quickly editing together a little highlights reel, the apps are so much faster without having to do all the media transfers etc..

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I agree

Keep the camera the same, just add eSIM and a menu for Instagram, Facebook, upload, etc.

For the vast majority of users the phone itself is getting good enough. For the rest I suspect direct loading to FB/IG or whatever isn’t a priority. 
Aren’t we already at the stage where phone (with an integrated camera) already exceeds camera (plus integrated comms) for instant uploading? 
The Sony Xperia Pro offers something fancy 5G communication I believe but limited availability. 

• Super Members

For the billionth time on here, I'm going to pimp the Toshiba FlashAir SD cards as the solution for the travelling/photo sharing situation.

It can be wirelessly transferring images in the background to your mobile device while you carry on shooting and even FTPing them into the cloud using the phone's internet connection.

It also supports scripts to do all manner of custom functions and means you aren't relying on going into the menu of the camera and doing the often masonic rituals of setting up transfers.

Of course for cameras like the Sigma fp which doesn't have any wifi link, it also provides them with that functionality.

If thats not enough, it also has probably the most bizarre advert you've ever seen for an SD card.

Now all they have to do is improve the software on both the camera and the phone to make it as seamless as using a phone.

I know phones are good enough for most people. They are for me for the “quick snaps” but they fall woefully short in about everything else.

The first camera manufactures that actually sits down with Apple and Google and says: “we would like work with you to come up with the most seamless way to get photos taken off our cameras into your smartphones as seamlessly as possible” will do better in the long run.

Imagine just having Bluetooth on your phone and camera. You configure once to give permission for the camera and phone to communicate (just like you do with AirPods or other Bluetooth devices).

When you have your phone on you and you flick the power on your camera they detect each other and use bluetooth to configure a WiFi 6 network between your camera and your phone (you can skip this step if the camera has 4/5G eSim built in).

Now when you start rolling off shots on your camera it just seamlessly transfers your RAWs in the background. When your done shooting you open up your phone and go to photos and there are all your photos ready to edit just as if you took them with your smart phone.

Why hasn’t this happened?

why are we taking a bloated phone OS and cramming it together like some cave man figuring out how to put square rock in round hole. It’s stupid.

• Super Members

That is conceptually (minus the Bluetooth) how the FlashAir card works.

You switch the camera on, it creates a wifi network which your phone automatically attaches to (or it can connect to your phone if preferred), you take the shots , it transfers them to the phone automatically in the background and they appear on the phone in a folder exactly as if they were taken with the phone.

The big upside against all of the native wifi transfer functions built into cameras is that you can carry on shooting while its transferring previous files and that gives the same workflow as the pro Nikon and Canon DSLRs with their dedicated, and expensive, add on network modules.

The other big upside is that it works the same on every camera you put it in so you don't have to wrestle with different interfaces on the cameras and a bunch of different apps on the phone for each camera type you are using.

In terms of transfer speed, as an example, it gets a 7.5mb jpeg from my fp onto my phone and ready to be edited or shared on social media or whatever about 5 seconds after pressing the shutter with RAWs obviously taking proportionately longer.

As its all done automatically and hands-free then it is integrated enough and fast enough for my needs to be as seamless as having the phone built into the camera or the camera built into the phone, whichever way round you want to look at it !

The restriction for some, though. may come in terms of the card read/write speed itself which is  90/70MB/s.

Its plenty for stills of course and a lot of flavours of video as well but might not cut it for some formats.

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

That sounds great. Do you have to pair it via WiFi just once and then you can turn camera off / on, etc. and it maintains auto-transfer feature?

Yeah, it just shows up as its own network and the phone will auto connect when it detects it again.

There is absolutely zero titting about !

There are a bunch of ways you can set it up with scripts to do things so you don't necessarily need to use the app.

I used them in the D500 and D810 when shooting games to auto ftp images straight out of the camera to the agency site for someone else to live remote edit. I had the same facility in the D3/D4 cameras via the expensive bolt on transmitters but the only one that worked with the D500 and D810 is the £1000 WT-7 so this was a far more budget alternative !

I had an Eye-fi card back in the day that did this too. It sucked hard and barely worked have the time. If you body (and I mean like even your arm) got in the way it would dropped the wifi connection.

Sounds like this one works a bit better.

Boggles my mind why this technology, that apparently can fit in an SD card, hasn’t been added to cameras or in more pro level SD cards?

• Super Members

Yeah, I had a couple of EyeFi cards of different generations and when they worked they were pretty good, if a little slow, but they just weren't reliable enough. Not just the range or interference either but they would often just refuse to work at all.

The FlashAir cards are in a different league but mud sticks and the EyeFi cards did the concept of the wifi card absolutely no favours whatsoever.

On 7/5/2020 at 8:30 PM, BTM_Pix said:

There is absolutely zero titting about !

You've changed, man.

Do those cards also transfer Fuji raw to your phone? Fuji cameras don't allow raw transfer over Wifi, but it'd be cool if the card bypassed the camera's limitation.

The newer Panasonics could do kind of it - just tested in my GX9, you could connect the Image App with your camera using Bluetooth + WiFi, and after you shoot a picture the photo is automatically transfered to your phone.

But the pairing is still cumbersome, will get the manual when have time to see if there is a better / faster way to pair.