Favorite Headphones

HockeyFan12

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Mr Speakers (Now called Dan Clark Audio) Ether C. Never had such a good reference pair. Really transparent on the source. Feed it a good source and amp it well, and it shines. Does not flatter unless you find a good matching amp (can sound flat or boring on some DACs). Amazing expansive sound stage. Pairs well with a good tube amp or the new super small Radsone HUD100 DAC on "Dynamic" mode.

Beyerdynamic T5p. Superb exciting travel and studio cans, really durable and rapid, controlled bass like a planar. Some of the best closed dynamic headphones for the price. Can comfortably wear them on street. Very good isolation. Change the pads though to velor.

Hifiman Sundara. Total bargain for the price. No isolation with it being open though, so not as flexible as the Beyer and Ether. Very detailed bass.

Denon / Fostex varieties / all great (Massdrop THX00, E-Mu Teak and older AH-D5000 my favourite ones) https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-foster-443742-variants-subjective-listening-tests-denon-ah-d5000-massdrop-fostex-th - However not 'really' closed cans - more like open. Don't isolate well for studio or street usage.

Hifiman Ayra - very detailed planar with amazing control. Easy to drive. I rate them above LCD-X but they are less dark, less weight in the low end.

There are also some amazing Chinese IEMs around the $100-150 mark. Z Reviews has covered a lot of the good stuff. Beware the hype though. It gets expensive.

58 minutes ago, Sage said:

HD600 via a MixPre 3 for everyday music.

I had an MDR-7506 at work, and some other really good headphones at home

The HD600 have been my favorite music 'phones overall though. for sure

The MixPreD sounds maybe even better to my ears (it could be bias), but both it and the MixPre3 sound amazing to me. Most full-bodied source I've heard and loud.

My desktop set up is DT1350s with a MixPre3. The HD600s might sound better, but less isolation. 

47 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Mr Speakers (Now called Dan Clark Audio) Ether C. Never had such a good reference pair. Really transparent on the source. Feed it a good source and amp it well, and it shines. Does not flatter unless you find a good matching amp (can sound flat or boring on some DACs). Amazing expansive sound stage. Pairs well with a good tube amp or the new super small Radsone HUD100 DAC on "Dynamic" mode.

Beyerdynamic T5p. Superb exciting travel and studio cans, really durable and rapid, controlled bass like a planar. Some of the best closed dynamic headphones for the price. Can comfortably wear them on street. Very good isolation. Change the pads though to velor.

Hifiman Sundara. Total bargain for the price. No isolation with it being open though, so not as flexible as the Beyer and Ether. Very detailed bass.

Denon / Fostex varieties / all great (Massdrop THX00, E-Mu Teak and older AH-D5000 my favourite ones) https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-foster-443742-variants-subjective-listening-tests-denon-ah-d5000-massdrop-fostex-th - However not 'really' closed cans - more like open. Don't isolate well for studio or street usage.

Hifiman Ayra - very detailed planar with amazing control. Easy to drive. I rate them above LCD-X but they are less dark, less weight in the low end.

There are also some amazing Chinese IEMs around the $100-150 mark. Z Reviews has covered a lot of the good stuff. Beware the hype though. It gets expensive.

If the T5p is anything like the DT1350 I imagine I'd love it.

I have one hifi lower-end pair, but 99% of my listening is done on bluetooth IEMs I bought on sale on Black Friday and through Spotify. And 99% of the music I listen to is compressed beyond redemption anyway. I can aspire to be a better listener at least. 

On my PC I mostly use Creative Aurvana Live!2, which I had slightly altered - installed bigger pads, changed the stock cable to something more robust.
Before them I was really happy with Takstar HI 2050 - they surely are the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever put on my head.

For my portable applications and while traveling, I rely on Tin HiFi T4.
Tin HiFi T2 were my first 'serious' IEMs and I loved their sound signature and build quality, so when T4 came out I only waited for them to pop out on a second-hand market (I rarely buy my equipment as new).

When I want to listen to music at home but still be able to hear my family talking to me, I use VE Monks. I think I bought them almost 10 years ago and even though I use them on a daily basis, they still work. Unbelievable.

Same goes for Sansa Clip Plus, which has been my personal DAP of choice for past 8 years - it's an exceptional piece of gear. I only upgraded microSD cards to be able to store more music.

I don't use streaming services, so I'm not interested in any smart devices.