Lumix G9 vs XT3 vs???

dreamplayhouse

I'm wondering how the G9 compares to XT3. I'm looking for an all around hybrid camera. I love the G9 controls but it's a tad bit heavy and large. XT3 looks to be a good size and weighs less.
Are the 4K 10 bit files from the XT3 a pain to work with if you don't have a super computer? Are there any other cameras like the G9 in terms of ergonomics but with a larger sensor?
Thinks that would be nice to have but not must have - IBIS, 10 bit internal for video. I know XT4 fits the bill but that's out of my budget.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, dreamplayhouse said:

I know XT4 fits the bill but that's out of my budget.

What is your budget?

You seem to be looking for the perfect camera but that doesn't exist, so you have to compromise to get as many of the features you would like and put up with things you don't like (especially if the budget is fairly limited and you want it small and light).

I'd prefer the G9 to be smaller and lighter, but I put up with that to get the features I want (like excellent IBIS and 4k50p) because they are important to me. If I want to take out a smaller, lighter camera I'll take my GX80 instead and put up with 4k25p, worse autofocus, worse IBIS and shorter battery life in exchange.

It's choices and compromises...like life generally...

The APS-C, 4k-capable camera closest to the G9 in terms of ergonomics would probably be the Nikon Z50 - and that doesn't have 10-bit video or IBIS (albeit it does have much better video autofocus).

The A6400 and Canon M6 mk2 are also options in that price range, but again, neither of them has 10-bit video nor IBIS, both of them are pretty far-removed ergonomically from the G9, and the M6 mk2 has some of the absolute worst 4K you'll ever see.

H254/h265 files are always difficult to deal with, but if you can adapt your work flow to rendering proxies then things get way easier to manage.
I do understand that they don't work for jobs where you have to turn around an edit asap though.

12 hours ago, dreamplayhouse said:

Thinks that would be nice to have but not must have - IBIS, 10 bit internal for video. I know XT4 fits the bill but that's out of my budget.

You're happy to give up the IBIS of the G9 for the X-T3 instead, but how about if you did it the other way round, and gave up 10bit but kept IBIS? The Panasonic G85 would save you over 150 grams, and saves you money too. 

Or like @ac6000cw said, the GX80? Even lighter, but you give up the mic input and flip out screen of the G85

If weight is important, make sure to factor in lenses. APS-C lenses weigh more than most M43 lenses, so even if the body weighs more, overall it may weigh less. 

I really like what Fuji is doing, but they don't tick enough boxes for most of my uses yet. If they can get their IBIS to Panasonic's level and eliminate recording limits, as well as some of the other video quirks, that could change!

My main concern is the X-T3 files on an my late 2017 i7 iMac and if they will work fine. If I shoot at 200 mpbs will the files work nicely?

I might get the X-T3 and 18-55 since it has OiS so should be good for handheld video.

If the above two items check off, I will get the X-T3 with 18-55 and 35 f2 for photo work.

thx

I think it depends on what program you use to edit, but most people I know transcode it to ProRes for editing. 

Fuji OIS is decent, but you're not going to get Panasonic level stability. It's really hard to explain how good Panasonic stabilization is, you need to kind of experience it. It changed how I filmed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 8:02 AM, dreamplayhouse said:

I am now looking at something smaller with IBIS for video. How does the GX85 compare to the OMD EM 10 Mark III when it comes to video?

I have the E-M10 III.  I love it, and it has a few advantages (and disadvantages) compared to the GX85.

However, if I didn't have the E-M10 III nor any lenses, I would seriously consider this US$498 GX85 bundle with 12-32mm and 45-150mm lenses.

On 7/4/2020 at 6:04 AM, newfoundmass said:

If weight is important, make sure to factor in lenses. APS-C lenses weigh more than most M43 lenses, so even if the body weighs more, overall it may weigh less. 

I really like what Fuji is doing, but they don't tick enough boxes for most of my uses yet. If they can get their IBIS to Panasonic's level and eliminate recording limits, as well as some of the other video quirks, that could change!

You do understand that they have the best 4k in the market for their price range and very comparable to much more expensive offerings? And it is recorded internally as well?  Why the fuck do you need IBIs? Trembling hands? 😃 Panasonic has a  much smaller sensor to deal with, Canon R5 IBIs seems to be a major technological advancement compared to the tv/video look of panasonic ibis... Aps Lenses weigh fuck all and Fuji has the best glass for APS since it was not created as an afterthought to their Full frame equivalents.

You can very easily grade h265 400mbps footage in a 1080p timeline with a decentish computer, using optimised media/cache/proxies in Resolve. People that say otherwise should read the Fucking Manual...( I am using an intel 630 gpu so that is as low as it gets)

11 minutes ago, josdr said:

You do understand that they have the best 4k in the market for their price range and very comparable to much more expensive offerings? And it is recorded internally as well?  Why the fuck do you need IBIs? Trembling hands? 😃 Panasonic has a  much smaller sensor to deal with, Canon R5 IBIs seems to be a major technological advancement compared to the tv/video look of panasonic ibis... Aps Lenses weigh fuck all and Fuji has the best glass for APS since it was not created as an afterthought to their Full frame equivalents.

You can very easily grade h265 400mbps footage in a 1080p timeline with a decentish computer, using optimised media/cache/proxies in Resolve. People that say otherwise should read the Fucking Manual...( I am using an intel 630 gpu so that is as low as it gets)

I need IBIS because I shoot handheld in active situations. Canon IBIS wasn't around when I made my post. 

Fuji's 4K is lovely, but their exposure stepping is jarring. Again, for my uses, that's kind of a deal breaker. 

Recording limits are the ultimate deal breaker for me. I need to be able to record for hours straight. Non negotiable. 

Like I said, Fuji intrigues me but they don't check all the boxes yet. Once they work the kinks out there's a good chance I'll invest in the system, their colors are my favorite. 

5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I need IBIS because I shoot handheld in active situations. Canon IBIS wasn't around when I made my post. 

Fuji's 4K is lovely, but their exposure stepping is jarring. Again, for my uses, that's kind of a deal breaker. 

Recording limits are the ultimate deal breaker for me. I need to be able to record for hours straight. Non negotiable. 

Like I said, Fuji intrigues me but they don't check all the boxes yet. Once they work the kinks out there's a good chance I'll invest in the system, their colors are my favorite. 

Hello once again. Do you use automatic exposure a lot?? You can do a lot with iris control . I concede that this is its biggest shortcoming if you use auto iso but

i personally work around it. As for recording limits, if you do weddings and stuff like that you are better off with dedicated video camera I think, you must have noticed all the discussions about the R5 :). X-T4 ibis is still not up to par and I do not think it will be. Fuji has shot its foot as far as firmware development is concerned for its cameras...

Good luck with whatever you are buying!

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Hmmm.....

Don't use auto exposure?

Don't try and use IBIS as a replacement for a gimbal?

Use a camcorder for recording longer static pieces?

I have no desire to have multiple different camera set ups for my work. I'm quite happy with my Panasonic cameras, they check all the boxes currently for my pro-wrestling, commercial, wedding, and corporate work.

I'm not using my gimbal for pro-wrestling where I'm running around a venue for 4 hours 🤣

I'm not the one that started the thread, I was just giving my experience to the OP. 

On 7/19/2020 at 11:21 AM, newfoundmass said:

I have no desire to have multiple different camera set ups for my work. I'm quite happy with my Panasonic cameras, they check all the boxes currently for my pro-wrestling, commercial, wedding, and corporate work.

I'm not using my gimbal for pro-wrestling where I'm running around a venue for 4 hours 🤣

I'm not the one that started the thread, I was just giving my experience to the OP. 

Ask the wrestler's management to name one of the fighters "Gimbal" and make him your cameraman carrying one between fights. They could even get a sponsorship from Zhiyun or DJI. 🙂

On 7/19/2020 at 5:55 AM, Amazeballs said:

Try OMD Em-5 mk 3. It has great IBIS and PDAF and costs 1100$. Flippy screen as well. 

Much less, Amazon had one for $899 other day. Could be found for $999 easily.