Canon 9th July "Reimagine" event for EOS R5 and R6 unveiling

Andrew Reid

8k handheld samples from the same person that posted the woman on the beach at 120fps.

I'm curious - to the people that say the footage looks bad - what are you shooting with? IMO motion and color are fabulous with lots of detail. I've gotten so used to Sony's motion from shooting it the last few years, seeing Canon's just looks so much better IMO - I hate to say it because its subjective bullshit (like calling something organic), but it looks "more filmic" haha. All of the daylight clips are really clean and the flame shot at 6400 doesn't look super noisy either. 

Cheers

Chris

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

I'm curious - to the people that say the footage looks bad - what are you shooting with? IMO motion and color are fabulous with lots of detail. I've gotten so used to Sony's motion from shooting it the last few years, seeing Canon's just looks so much better IMO - I hate to say it because its subjective bullshit (like calling something organic), but it looks "more filmic" haha. 

Let me subjectively agree with you! The main reason I’ve stuck with Canon throughout the years (5D3 ML, C100, C200, EOS R) is mainly because the color science and motion just has that pleasing organic look.. especially skin tones. The L lenses also have this unmistakable character that I love.

It’s quite a shock for me to now finally see FF no crop in oversampled 4K in 10-bit and at HFRs.

The combination of all that with IBIS, DPAF2 and the return of the DSLR thumbweel & joystick is really everything a Canon enthusiast could ask for... and why I’m willing to overlook the overheating issues (which hopefully shouldn’t affect my style of shooting).

Still gonna wait until July 28th before deciding wether to go with R5 or R6.

3 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

8k handheld samples from the same person that posted the woman on the beach at 120fps.

I'm curious - to the people that say the footage looks bad - what are you shooting with

Well, the footage is a throwback into old 5D Mark II days, with 90% out of it being out of focus... - And the rest shot at extremely high shutter speeds without ND filter, so anyone who thinks they can judge motion from this clip should just ditch the ND filter on the camera they're currently using...

Unfortunately we have a war of haters, Canon always looks good and cinematic, it was what blow my mind the first time I started shooting with a C100, so I will try to stay with canon, on the other hand, I have never liked the skin tone of Sony cameras, and that's a personal preference, so I will never go there unless they change it. 

Anyway, the overheating issues in the new canons are really annoying, I can not work with a tool that is overheating, no way, I am hoping we will see some solutions once the camera is in the wild, probably external recording will be an acceptable solution when you have to shoot the whole day, interchanging with some minutes of slow mode, that could work for me, I think I will go for the R6, I do not need a new camera this year, so I can wait a little. The only thing that could change my mine is if the Komodo turns out to be an incredible camera, with an autofocus close to DPAF, because of I love RED compression, and the flexibility it provides in post.

5 hours ago, rawshooter said:

Well, the footage is a throwback into old 5D Mark II days, with 90% out of it being out of focus... - And the rest shot at extremely high shutter speeds without ND filter, so anyone who thinks they can judge motion from this clip should just ditch the ND filter on the camera they're currently using...

I guess I should have made it clear, I'm not speaking specifically to that video, just the R5/R6 comments in general. From all the early review footage and what's surfaced in the last few days, motion looks great IMO. Same for colors and detail. DR doesn't look any worse than the a73, yet I'm seeing comments about that too. Until we get side-by-sides its all conjecture. 

As always YMMV.

Chris