Canon 9th July "Reimagine" event for EOS R5 and R6 unveiling

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The 4K HQ mode that supersamples from 8K will probably be the sweet spot for most people.

Not surprised the 8K overheats. It’s a giant feat with no active cooling. 

Would be nice to get some RS/DR/ISO info but it looks like Canon isn’t letting youtubers show footage from their pre-production units (except for Peter McKinnon).

Also curious about the lowlight performance differences between R5 & R6..

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Django said:

The 4K HQ mode that supersamples from 8K will probably be the sweet spot for most people.

Not surprised the 8K overheats. It’s a giant feat with no active cooling. 

You can only go on average 10 mins longer in the 4K HQ mode.

So that's not good either.

I think I'll get the EOS R6 instead or wait for Sony

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

10 minutes is too short, goodbye R5, R6 always looked the route to follow, Sony?, zombie crappy skin tone?, will be get an improvement in Sony colors?

28 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

10 minutes is too short, goodbye R5, R6 always looked the route to follow, Sony?, zombie crappy skin tone?, will be get an improvement in Sony colors?

Sony can compensate for lesser video specs if it includes the colour science from the pro cams . Then we would have a fight.  The R6 does not seem to have an all Ai option for 23.98 h265 with c-log on , severely curtailing the available bitrate.

30fps can do All intra with 470mbps at 4k  but 23.98 is limited to ipb (4K) at 170mbps... If this is true, it is very mean indeed......

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 8.27.42 PM.png

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Where is my GH6?!

Bring it on.

Internal 10bit ProRes 422 (HQ and LT)

GH5S oversized low light sensor.

Next gen of IBIS

Phase-detect AF.

Under $2k.

Now THAT is something to look forward to. Forget the £4000 fancy pants hand warmer.

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

Bring it on.

Next gen of IBIS

Phase-detect AF.

Under $2k.

Now THAT is something to look forward to. Forget the £4000 fancy pants hand warmer.

If anyone wants a video workhorse then the R5 doesn't seem to fit the bill.

I am quite serious when I am wondering about the GH6, the GH5 wasn't perfect, but it was a non-nonsense video tool, pretty reliable and able to bring food to the table without asking the sun and the stars.

The only issue I had with m43 was always the ISO capabilities, GH5S solved that as well, what you didn't have, was a true hybrid capable to be excellent on everything (GH5S was mainly a video camera, let's face it, and GH5 was quite behind it in low light).

If the next GH6 is close to what we want it to be, it can be THE hybrid camera to beat. 

We delivered a lot of TV episodes on the biggest TV networks here with GH5 and 12-100mm Olympus, we never had any real issue and that was the fastest and smallest combo we could use for some type of jobs usually on scorching heat (green house effect hits the Mediterranean really hard..).

Sony without any 10bit option and overheating/battery issues was never an option for this kind of jobs, we tried GH5+Olympus lenses, and we did fine.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Bring it on.

Next gen of IBIS

Phase-detect AF.

Under $2k.

Let's see a new video with the laughing spanish guy/Canon Sales representative on the R5 £4200 hand warmer!

Yeah, Irene is a stills photographer but she is a hell (or should I say paradise? ; ) of a prolific portrait photography shooter, one of the most compelling Canon users I've ever found more recently to operate with in the brand's CS look range and taking properly advantage from:

https://500px.com/irenerudnyk

https://www.instagram.com/irenerudnykphoto/

Her natural shooting style is captivating to say the least. A lesson to pixel peeping & other geek sportsmen ; -)

The R5 is $3,899 and R6 is $2,499.   The 4K60p from the R6 look impressive.  

You can also get the R5, R6 combo for weddings and live events.  

If we want to be positive it would be 4K60p, IBIS and Canon color for $2,499.  

The negative would be that Sony's A7SIII will be a Canon R6 spec copy.   If the A7SIII goes for R5 specs it will have the same over heating issues.

11 minutes ago, Super8 said:

The negative would be that Sony's A7SIII will be a Canon R6 spec copy.   If the A7SIII goes for R5 specs it will have the same over heating issues.

Depends on whether or not Sony really did redesign the body. I don't know that it'll do 8K raw but 6 or 8K is possible if they have cooling and a larger body. I'd be surprised if it doesn't at least match the S1H, but with Sony's AF. 

32 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Depends on whether or not Sony really did redesign the body. I don't know that it'll do 8K raw but 6 or 8K is possible if they have cooling and a larger body. I'd be surprised if it doesn't at least match the S1H, but with Sony's AF. 

I dunno, I feel like even if Sony redesigned the body, it'll still probably be too small. They seem very gung-ho about making sure that their mirrorless cameras are smaller, unlike Panasonic, Nikon or Canon who are pumping out cameras that are much closer in size to a DSLR. Though I'm no insider or scooper, so I could absolutely be wrong on the matter. I'd be impressed if Sony go for a bigger body.

Personally I'm not sure what camera I'll wind up going for, be it Canon or no. Personally the overheating issues with the Canon R5 won't be much issue for my personal workflow most of the time. Been using my Panasonic G85 for over two years now and I've rarely ever done videography work that required the camera to be rolling for longer than ten minutes, much less five. Obviously the biggest holdup for the stuff I've been making lately would be the occasional longer interview, but those aren't particularly common for me.

Obviously it seems the R5 is a no-go for anyone specializing in wedding videography or documentary filmmakers with workflows that rely on having the camera rolling non-stop... but I don't think the recording limits get in the way much for narrative filmmakers or filmmakers making music videos. Having been making narrative projects for the better part of a decade now, the only time my co-workers or I have ever recorded multiple takes in a single video file are when we spent several minutes shooting B-roll. And typically I don't imagine most indie-level narrative filmmakers shoot a single take that lasts well over five minutes. Obviously there's exceptions and certain projects where that won't be the case, but it's not the norm. 

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Definitely wait!

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

If the next GH6 is close to what we want it to be, it can be THE hybrid camera to beat. 

If it has the AF that can compete. Otherwise, it will most likely be ignored. So hoping Panny can sort it out because they make great workhorse cameras like it's been said many times.

9 hours ago, Django said:

Yup, that and the 4K120p. Although, sounds like you'll need a beast of a computer to edit those files.

Hopefully the camera can cool down enough between relatively short 1-10 minute active recordings (where you stop recording, reframe, change settings, etc...) and when you hit the record button again. IF it can't then I can see some major problems for users. Not being able to do long form stuff in 4K is shitty. Maybe its hardware related, maybe its the cripple hammer. I'm sure we will know soon enough.

17 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

So it's not a hybrid/cinema camera. It's more of a hybrid with which you can get some RAW video from times to times. You can't count on it for a full project / shooting. That means it's more of a great 4K 10bit hybrid camera with punctual RAW. It's kinda weird but I could see it working for some people. Personally I'm not sure. I am also interested in the low light feat of the R6, and it's low light AF especially. And I think at the moment we can wait for Sony announcement before pulling the gun... 

detailed improvement list between R & R5/R6

Auto ISO in CLOG

Vertical Video shooting

-4EV in 4K on R5 vs -5EV in 4k on R6 for video AF

Diffraction correction on video mode enabled

P/TV/AV mode supported on CLOG (only on R5)

Save 8K/4K video to a seperate FHD IPB lite video for mobile editing/viewing.

Have electronic 1st curtain option

quieter mechanical shutter

https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/products/eos/product-1/pdfs/EOS-R5-improvements-part-1.pdf