Canon 9th July "Reimagine" event for EOS R5 and R6 unveiling

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It will be interesting to see real footage from both cameras, especially with regards to overheating and rolling shutter. I'm intrigued that they've chosen to let you decide whether or not you want oversampling when shooting in 4K with the R5 for example. I imagine that that mode is more prone to severe rolling shutter and overheating and so on and so forth.

Just watched Peter’s R5 promo video/inspiration piece. Purely looking at the footage...

Not going to lie...all the footage looked pretty damn good. All with DPAF.

Will be interesting to see a deep dive into the image. I’m sure there are things not to like, but for YouTube/vimeo delivery...looks very nice.

Overheating issues it seems. I wonder how bad they are.

We finally have 4K120p in a mirrorless camera!

I hate to admit it. I had a lot of doubts about this camera and the Canon cripple hammer but they really have done an excellent job with this camera. I'm still unsure of the dynamic range but the video clips from Peter does look pretty good. Sony needs to answer.

1 minute ago, Video Hummus said:

Yes, It might be a weak point. Sony certainly excels in this area. FF Mirrorless wars are official on after a false start a couple of years ago.

That's one of the best benefits of the R5 bombshell. Sony has to finally abandon its 8-bit video and up its IBIS. Panasonic can't ignore AF because of superior video specs since they've just been lapped. Nikon has to up its game to gain traction with the Zed's. Even Fuji with its weird IBIS warping has to solve the issue, as Canon's looks pretty damn good.

RIght now they're all chasing the R5/R6.

Chris

6 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Just watched Peter’s R5 promo video/inspiration piece. Purely looking at the footage...

Not going to lie...all the footage looked pretty damn good. All with DPAF.

Will be interesting to see a deep dive into the image. I’m sure there are things not to like, but for YouTube/vimeo delivery...looks very nice.

Overheating issues it seems. I wonder how bad they are.

We finally have 4K120p in a mirrorless camera!

Well thats my problem with it atm, it looks so youtuby. But offcourse thats the style of the shooter, so exited to see some other shooters take on the camera. Especially just some 24p narrative stuff. 

Who is shooting long take at 120 fps?

If the quality is good I really don’t care the size. No other ff 120 fps on the market period, not even for 50k usd..... and this with AF...

Need to check some 120 fps would be cool to see some original files not ytube stuff

Edit: did watch Peter 120fps clip in 4k and it looks really promising.... I did not expect that quality to be honest at 120 fps.... Any other clips around at 4k 120fps ?

I shoot long takes at 120 fps 4k using the Z Cam E2 all the time. When shooting wildlife, you never know exactly when the wildlife will do something. You keep rolling until you get the footage you want.  I just tested my Z Cam E2 and a blank chip provides 1 hour, 40 min run-time with a 256GB CFast chip. The R5 will only give me 16 minutes with a similar chip. That's a HUGE difference. (And BTW, the Z Cam E2 footage (using ZLog) is certainly acceptable @120p.)

4 minutes ago, ajay said:

That would be great if it did. That's a great idea.

Btw there is also a time limit of 5 minutes in 120fps.... probably to control the overheating...... the pre-roll would be cool but probably it will overheat.... 

For me 4k 120fps FF with AF in a 4k usd body if the quality is what it seems to be I'm very impressed.  Also cool that it has APS-C 4k crop...  curious to see the rolling shutter and how ibis on and off behave on a gimbal.

8k RAW are huge but in proportion of a C500 II 6k RAW so not so out of this world but for sure only for short takes... 

Is the histogram available while recording?