Canon 9th July "Reimagine" event for EOS R5 and R6 unveiling

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
25 minutes ago, kye said:

How big is the market for "I want a long zoom for my wildlife holidays but if it doesn't fit in my carry-on with my laptop then it's an absolute deal-breaker" market?

I certainly don't think that an 800mm lens of any sort, even a diminutive size as this one appears to be is, the sort of thing you carry in your bag on the off chance.

If you need that sort of reach for your subject matter then you'll have spent some time preparing and setting up for shooting it whether its bird watching, wildlife or sport so you really do have to mean it.

Logically, you'd say that on that basis you'd be prepared to take the hit weight/size wise of a faster lens to make sure that effort wouldn't be undermined but that doesn't mean there won't be a big market for it.

Who knows, there might even be an entirely new market for it as people have never really had a pocketable 800mm lens before so it might usher in a new era of extreme long range street photography.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I certainly don't think that an 800mm lens of any sort, even a diminutive size as this one appears to be is, the sort of thing you carry in your bag on the off chance.

If you need that sort of reach for your subject matter then you'll have spent some time preparing and setting up for shooting it whether its bird watching, wildlife or sport so you really do have to mean it.

Logically, you'd say that on that basis you'd be prepared to take the hit weight/size wise of a faster lens to make sure that effort wouldn't be undermined but that doesn't mean there won't be a big market for it.

Who knows, there might even be an entirely new market for it as people have never really had a pocketable 800mm lens before so it might usher in a new era of extreme long range street photography.

Haha, insert comment about pocket size here.

I agree about really having to mean it.  In the past I've contemplated trips to safari in Africa and also to visit Antarctica and in both of those situations I'd consider taking a long tele lens with me, and when I was contemplating Antarctica I even contemplated hiring some equipment, a decent tele lens anyway, as once you're beyond the EF 100-300 you're pretty firmly in rental territory for most people.  I've done interstate trips to visit family and taken my 70-210/4 but only because I knew we were going to a zoo and I wanted some close-up footage of the animals, just to try it out and see what I can get.

You're right that it might sell well despite not really hitting the mark in a logical sense, I guess that's economics, and consumerism.  Maybe the weekend warriors who photograph sports might like it, but I still can't get past why you wouldn't just put a TC on a shorter lens.

Canon is obviously going after enthusiasts/amateurs with these new lenses, smaller, lighter and cheaper outside of the 100-500. The first lenses were fast primes and the zoom trinity with the 28-70 halo zoom, the only budget lens was the 35 macro. People complained about the lack of a pro level body or budget lenses, now with the R5/R6 they have that base covered and a few cheaper primes. I'm sure their research shows a demand, otherwise why develop these lenses at all?

IMO they will sell well, rumored price is about $1000 for each. There are plenty of people that want reach and aren't serious enough to pay $12,000 for a single lens. Lots of amateur birders and wildlife shooters, parents shooting kids sports and so on. Those long lenses combined with TC's the punch-in capability of 8k will turn the R5 into a telescope. I don't shoot wildlife enough to justify that kind of purchase, but I see a ton of birds, dolphins, gators and turtles while out shooting landscapes that a 70-200 with TC can't reach.

I looked at renting in South Africa, but I didn't want to do a round trip to return it as I went from SA to Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia. Plus a 600mm would have doubled my pack size. So I find the small 600/800 lenses appealing, I bet lots will too. As always YMMV.

Chris

How Canon have been able to capture 4k 60p video quality similar to 4k 30p but with 1/2x scanning time? 

https://www.*BAD_URL*/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=canon_eos1dxiii&attr29_1=canon_eos1dxiii&attr29_2=sony_a9&attr29_3=canon_eos1dxii&attr72_0=4k_60&attr72_1=c4k&attr72_2=4k&attr72_3=c4k&normalization=full&widget=766&x=-0.09664161374798584&y=0.34155303469199166

60p  30p. 24p

DCI 4K (Full-width) 14.9 ms 29.3 ms 29.3 ms

DCI Crop (Super35) 14.4 ms 14.4 ms 14.4 ms

UHD 4K 14.9 ms 29.3 ms—

1 hour ago, Simon Young said:

Shameful shit.

SH1 6k 29.7 ms, 4k 24,2 ms and with basically no AF

GFX100 4k 28 ms.....

Sony A9 4k is also in this ball pack.....

The big complain is that they should have switched to faster readout if you go MF...... at 30, 25 and 24.

• Administrators

GFX100 is medium format! 100 megapixel. 28ms in 4K is a small miracle. Also, doesn't look like 28ms to my eye so not even sure if that's correct.

S1H 4K 24ms is also very good, given it isn't pixel binning or line skipping from the 6K.

Sony A9 has fastest sensor in the business.

Canon seem to give us great rolling shutter performance in 4K/60p but cripple it in 24p to protect the Cinema EOS line.

It's same old, same old!

1 hour ago, Simon Young said:

R5 £4199 and R6 £2499. 

Yes £4k new standard pro price for mirrorless cameras.

It's far cry from the GH2 days isn't it!

Companies have finally realised how much money pros have!

Or did have until coronavirus.

I think we'll be seeing some discounting quite soon after the initial hype and pre-orders have died down.

The R6 is more interesting for most people. I may just review that and leave the R5 till later.

• Super Members

I have noticed actually that after ages of Squarespace, WIX and Monday.com plaguing me with ads on YouTube that most of mine in the past month have been from Canon so maybe they are really embracing marketing through the "Yo guys, smash the like button" avenue.

To paraphrase Travolta, tomorrow might be a case of this.

47mupw.jpg.3d4a1afc5a04ef5193cf78a913d9985b.jpg

I dunno I’m kinda looking forward to the hype fest YouTube bonanza after such a grim dull year with all the delays and trade show cancellations..

Of course if you’re not in the market or not a Canon/Sony fan the upcoming weeks will probably be annoying as hell on your YT and  camera related social media news feeds, but for Canon users like myself it’s kind of like D-Day (C-Day?) after such long tease period!

• Super Members

Hopefully they've all had the cameras long enough to have done something a bit more in depth with them because with Canon seemingly going so far against type and piling the spec on, there may be a lot of devil in the detail with regards to potential caveats in the different modes.

Big day for Canon fans though.

And fans of shock faced based thumbnails.

I have no plans to buy the R5, but it is a big release in relation to video specs and I shall be following the hype with interest. 

Besides, it may kick other camera companies into gear, who have been quiet till now.  With Sony announcement to follow in the next month and Nikon updating their cameras, I'd like to see a few others give some clue as to their future releases also.

As has been noted, its been a very dull year of late and some excitement, any excitement is welcome.