Canon 9th July "Reimagine" event for EOS R5 and R6 unveiling

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Anyone planning to order the R5/6 before the Sony announcement?! 
It could be a difficult comparison as I suspect each will bring something special to the table. The (reported) superior build quality of the R5 intrigues me. 

14 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

So 8K RAW is 3250 Mbps?

No crop in 4k120p? I wonder if it’s line-skipped hell. 

I’m really interested in the 4K modes. What’s cropped, what’s not. Autofocus in all modes?

This. My concern is that the 4K will look like the FHD on today's mirrorless cameras. For example, the Sony A7III downsamples 6K in camera to 4K. Looks great. The FHD (1080p) on that body is pixel binned (or line skipped). Soft and some aliasing and moire. 8K on the R5 will probably be spectacular but I would hope the 4K would be too. Can't imagine what FHD will look like on the R5 or why it's even an option at this point.

Been looking around the websites of UK retailers, and stock of the EOS R seems to have dried up all of a sudden - the RP is in plentiful stock, as are all the full-frame mirrorless options from Sony, Nikon, and Panasonic, but hardly anywhere seems to have an R for anything like what you'd expect the normal price to be.

I suppose it's possible that either it's some COVID-related manufacturing/shipping issue, or that an inexplicably huge number of people have decided to buy them to use as vlogging cameras during lockdown, but still, it makes me wonder if Canon are intending to pull the plug on the R, and have the R6 slot in at its old price point.

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I guess Peter Mckinnon will release his review friday. Hopefully he has done some proper testing, allthough he gets payed by Canon, so might be biased.

The way it works is that they all sign NDAs first with Canon's PR agents.

Then they are allowed to shoot their advertisements with the camera.

They have to release them all at the same time on an embargo date.

And at that point they earn a lot of revenue through affiliate links and such. So it is in their interests to hype it as much as possible.

16 minutes ago, CaMeRa QuEsT said:

Does the grayed-out 50.00P in RAW means the frame rate is actually available in the compressed formats? FF DCI 8K60/50p available right out of the gate on the first 8K capable consumer hybrid camera! That will be MINDBLOWING!

No. It doesn't do 8K/60p, that would be far too much data to handle for the image processor.

I can confirm that 4K HFR modes (50 - 120p) are achieved using 2 x 2 pixel binning. It's a relatively elegant solution because there's no line-skipping involved. The image will be very soft with lower moire and lower noise compared to other subsampling methods.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The way it works is that they all sign NDAs first with Canon's PR agents.

Peter reviews a lot of gear. I don’t think he has reviewed any other cameras except Canon. Which makes me believe he is an ambassador or something and can’t review other cameras.

Hea pimping tripods and everything else. But not a single other cameras except canon cameras. Not to mention his frequent Canon headquarters visit and stuff.

Oh well, I don’t watch him (much anymore) and never took his opinions as an objective source of reviews anyway. 

• Administrators

So that means the 4K 24p comes from 8K readout with serious rolling shutter then 😃

30 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Peter reviews a lot of gear. I don’t think he has reviewed any other cameras except Canon. Which makes me believe he is an ambassador or something and can’t review other cameras. He's pimping tripods and everything else. But not a single other cameras except canon cameras. Not to mention his frequent Canon headquarters visit and stuff.

Yes that's how it works. Ambassadors can't mention other brands.

They are salesmen who have people fooled into thinking they're Stanley Kubrick

35 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I guess Peter Mckinnon will release his review friday. Hopefully he has done some proper testing, allthough he gets payed by Canon, so might be biased.

He has the ability to compare it to other cameras like the 1dx3 and that Red he shoots everything on, so there's a chance for comparisons even if he's a Canon honk. Hopefully others with no ties to Canon will be able to access review units soon. I'm preordering while reserving my right to change when the a7s3 drops. But I still think the R5 is going to be the one for me.

Chris

• Administrators

Thursday is the official Canon announcement so after that all the reviewers who have been given freebies can click Publish.

I don't know why anybody would think Canon would only give the camera to one person!?

Even if it is the almighty Peter McShillington

25 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Thursday is the official Canon announcement so after that all the reviewers who have been given freebies can click Publish.

I don't know why anybody would think Canon would only give the camera to one person!?

Even if it is the almighty Peter McShillington

Nobody said that he was the only one, but he is at the live event so I think it is safe to asume that at least he got one already. 

Seem they invested in popular social media figures instead of filmmakers that shoot shortfilms/commercials,  or maybe not. We will see. I do miss those years where camera's were given to "Vincent Laforet" for the C300 commercial, or Philip Bloom for the GH3 commercial,... those were the kind of video's that made me want to buy the camera's. (and I did) 

35 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Nobody said that he was the only one, but he is at the live event so I think it is safe to asume that at least he got one already. 

Seem they invested in popular social media figures instead of filmmakers that shoot shortfilms/commercials,  or maybe not. We will see. I do miss those years where camera's were given to "Vincent Laforet" for the C300 commercial, or Philip Bloom for the GH3 commercial,... those were the kind of video's that made me want to buy the camera's. (and I did) 

I expect social media darlings are seen to reach a wider audience.  Guess Canon feels this matters more than getting people who know how to shoot really well. 

Plus those who shoot for a living are going to be more critical than those who rely on social media hype more than camera skills to keep themselves relevant. 

Or perhaps I'm just jaded when it comes to social media. 😉

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

You are far too easily swayed by adverts, by the sounds of it.

18 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

I expect social media darlings are seen to reach a wider audience.  Guess Canon feels this matters more than getting people who know how to shoot really well. 

Plus those who shoot for a living are going to be more critical than those who rely on social media hype more than camera skills to keep themselves relevant. 

Or perhaps I'm just jaded when it comes to social media. 😉

You're absolutely right.

A lot of people will be looking forward to the glossy lifestyle EOS R5 videos from McKinnon.

But some of us have real art work to do and cinematography.

2 hours ago, Dave Del Real said:

Can't imagine what FHD will look like on the R5 or why it's even an option at this point.

Knowing Canon, they will squash the shit out of the FHD. But I for one, like 'good' 1080. Let's see what comes.

Happy to see you the site and forum still up and running... big thanks Andrew, and to the rest of you folks.

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

Seem they invested in popular social media figures instead of filmmakers that shoot shortfilms/commercials,  or maybe not.

They’ll do both but they are smart to market this as a “creative lifestyle” product with YT personalities like McKinnon because it works! I bet there will be people with almost no skill or experience that watch Peter and drop $4000 on the R5 or $2000 on an R6 just because they saw it in their favorite personalities hand.

Im also sure we will get the usual forgetful backpedaling about how 4K really matters now since Canon finally has it. How 4K120p is important even though when the R was release it was a feature not to have HD 120p because it makes you lazy...

But forget all that. I just hope we finally get a camera from Canon that gives us 10-bit 422 4K, DPAF, capability for RAW video (even though it’s impractical for a lot of things; at least it is there), and perhaps a more serious tone about video.

My first camera was a Canon. I moved on because I wanted more video features. I also didn’t think FF offered what I wanted for the size/weight of the kit. Maybe now it does with the Sony A7SIII or R5/R6. But I’m pragmatic and will wait to see if there will be a GH6 and what it will offer.

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

They also do support filmmakers too.  My friend was able to trial the c200 for free back then to shoot on one of his job from Canon NZ. Though he dont do youtubes and just starting doing podcast this year, as not every filmmaker is comfortable in front of the camera.  He was able to get hands on the R5, the only 2 in NZ!  Unfortunately i cant get info from him due to NDA but seems someone else leaked some info anyway.