Canon 9th July "Reimagine" event for EOS R5 and R6 unveiling

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

• 512GB CFExpress card will fit about 21 min of 8K RAW 
   video footage. 
• NO CROP in 8K30 OR 4K120 verified
• No Dual recording video to both cards.
• Running the 8KRAW video for 20 min straight NO 
   HEATING issues whatsoever.

Has anybody found out what the recording time limit restrictions are yet? Yes, it will have time restrictions. I have a Canon rep that confirmed to me that they will restrict video recording limits. Although, at the time he told me, he said that management was still debating what the final limits times would be. So, yeah, if you want to record your local live band or your kids school play or drama theater event, get ready for forced stops and restarts in video. Let's hope it shuts off at 29 minutes and not shorter.

Thanks @Andrew Reid and @Anaconda_

The Menu is extremely clean, and the screen appears Larger and more Square than regular LCDs.

I guess the next level of ILC Video wars is beginning. It's almost feels like GH5 announcement 3.5 years back. 

I guess once the Sony 7Siii specs are announced, too, people may start feeling the full thrill.

It's Video ILC love in the time of Corona

18 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

Has anyone revealed what the catch is yet? Too good to be true.

The catch? Time limits. Canon does not want you to use the R5 to record live music, or stage plays or long interviews. They have other cameras they want you to buy for those things.. I'm told by a Canon rep I know that it will have crippled recording limits. Although my info is now about 2 months old. At that time, Canon mamagement had not decided what the final time restriction numbers would be. I have not talked to him since then, so will find out soon what numbers they chose.

So yeah,...if your kid is singing in a stage play, make sure you start and stop it on some other kid before yours starts to sing. If you are recording a local band, make sure to stop/start in between songs so the music doesn't cut out in the middle of a song. A wedding ceremony?....ugg. There is no good place to stop/start in those events.

I wonder why there's even a greyed-out option for 50p in the 8K menu...

As far as we know there's no option for anything above 30p in 8K, although it wasn't until we saw this screen leak that there was any real evidence that the R5 would also shoot compressed 8K modes, so maybe there's a still unknown compressed 8K 50/60p mode!?!? (99.96% unlikely, I'd guess, since isn't recording raw the least CPU intensive? It just needs to be able to write data at insane speeds...)

Anyway, switching into 4K mode wold mean the addition of a 120p button, too, in addition to the 50p button...So why on earth would there even be a greyed-out 8K 50p option?

23 minutes ago, Mike Laidman said:

I wonder why there's even a greyed-out option for 50p in the 8K menu...

As far as we know there's no option for anything above 30p in 8K, although it wasn't until we saw this screen leak that there was any real evidence that the R5 would also shoot compressed 8K modes, so maybe there's a still unknown compressed 8K 50/60p mode!?!? (99.96% unlikely, I'd guess, since isn't recording raw the least CPU intensive? It just needs to be able to write data at insane speeds...)

Anyway, switching into 4K mode wold mean the addition of a 120p button, too, in addition to the 50p button...So why on earth would there even be a greyed-out 8K 50p option?

On Canon so far 120 is hfr option separated from the normal framerates

On the Panasonic GH cameras, only frame rates of up to 50p or 60p in ntsc mode, can be selected.  To get higher frame rates, you have to access another Menu.  I doubt 50 or 60p 8K is coming anytime soon.  I'm amazed even 30p 8K is possible.

I like the menu layout.  I prefer to the one I have on the GH5, where you have to scroll to access it.  The Canon is more clearer.  Being able to shoot non RAW 8K suddenly makes 8K more useable on the camera.  21 mins for 512gb; be useful for small vanity projects, but not practical for any longer shoots.