Canon 9th July "Reimagine" event for EOS R5 and R6 unveiling

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Glad they didn’t double down on the Touch Bar. I wonder if it will be on the R6?

As far as looks, I prefer canon over Sony. Although, the on/off on the left isn’t my favorite. Can’t pick it up with one hand and switch the power. Also not a fan of the digital mode setup. If your screen gets cracked or gives out your screwed.

Canon will very likely be my FF camera of choice. So glad they are pushing again.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

As far as looks, I prefer canon over Sony. Although, the on/off on the left isn’t my favorite. Can’t pick it up with one hand and switch the power.

Yeah wish the power switch was around the shutter release.

I like most of the R's controls, but the R5 makes a few significant improvements. The joystick is most obvious. Glad they moved at AF button next to the joystick, its further to the right on the R's grip putting it in a very unnatural position. It also gets the 5d style wheel on the back instead of a 4-way D-pad button on the R. I like the extra button on the front too.

I'd like to see the on/off switch on the shutter button like Sony's since I always flip the camera off when not in use to preserve batteries. I don't get the DSLR holdover "Rate" button either, hopefully it can be remapped to audio volume or something like that. Right now the touch bar is what I use for ISO with adapted EF lenses, on the RF lenses I use the control ring. On the R5 I'd just set it to the rear wheel.

Chris

• Administrators

R6 should be interesting. Got to be at least as good as Z6 for video, but with some Canon perks. 10bit and C-LOG hopefully but it's looking a bit 50:50, whether it will be 8bit crippled or 10bit like EOS R5

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

BTW the new look of the forum, especially the new font, is obnoxious.

This seems like a pretty weird place to be so blunt about something objective. Feels like it's much better suited to a personal message with some kind of polite wording around it... Just my 2 cents.

--

What I don't like about camera designs like this, is they seem so reliant on menus. For example the mode dial; before switching you first have to press another button so the dial knows what it's selecting, then watch on the screen to make sure you're in the right mode. With Fuji, for example, I know that flicking the mode dial all the way to one side, puts me in video mode. I can do it behind my back and know for sure I'll start recording a video when I press the shutter.

That said, maybe it's a non-issue for cameras with a separate rec button. Can this record a video in any mode?

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Well Canon 1D C was nice in 8bit C-LOG.

But that was 422 and very high bitrate.

I'd be happy if the EOS R6 has an image to rival that. It's not all about the specs on paper when it comes to Canon.

How do you think does the 1DC codec compare to the super tiny 75mbit h265 on the S1? I am pretty amazed by the latter, though I was able to break it in Resolve. The 10bit 422 150mbit on the GH5 I couldnt break. So that one seems to be one of the best codecs regarding compression and size ratio.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, androidlad said:

R5/R6 both have 10bit internal recording.

BTW the new look of the forum, especially the new font, is obnoxious.

I'd say passing other people's info off as your own and not revealing your sources is a bit more obnoxious.

It's only a font after all!

It's hard to judge how big it is from pictures since you have nothing to compare it to but that seems pretty slimmed down for a camera that's supposed to be extremely powerful and should require quite a bit of processing power. Was expecting something along the lines of the S1H.