Anamorphic on 16mm Film

Caleb Genheimer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Very cool. What camera and lenses did you use?

Edit: just saw on Vimeo. What was your taking lens? Anyway very nice. The Hawk 1.3X anamorphic on a 416 is my dream set up.

Taking lens was Navitron 25mm f0.95, mostly around f2-2.8. 

I’ll preach 1.75X on 16mm until the day I die. The camera-to-dollar ratio on regular-16 versus super-16 bodies is kinda ridiculous. I just bought the absolute top quality 1.75X adapter (Kowa Inflight), and I have a crystal sync sound camera with coaxial mags and a color video tap... still all for cheaper than a S16 SR-2. 

That’s the REAL beauty of film. There’s no sensor difference between bodies, it’s all in the film stock. Would I absolutely love a 416, an SR-3 Highspeed, or even an XTR Prod? Absolutely and maybe some day. But if I don’t tell you what camera I shot on, can you even tell? Not really. 

There’s a lot of great glass out there too for cheaper simply because it’s not a PL mount body. I can get some classic Cooke and Angenieux glass in Eclair’s CA-1 mount or even in Arri STD. And C-Mount? Perfect for 16mm and very adaptable.

On 7/2/2020 at 3:56 PM, Caleb Genheimer said:

Had some footage left in a mag from another project, so I walked down to the river behind my house and used it up:

Looks really nice. Cool to see more people on this forum shooting 16mm. Have you tried Kodak Film Lab Atlanta? Their rates and turn around time are the best I have found.

15 hours ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

Would I absolutely love a 416, an SR-3 Highspeed, or even an XTR Prod? Absolutely and maybe some day. But if I don’t tell you what camera I shot on, can you even tell? Not really.

Exactly. I shot this on the Bolex Rex 4. If you get high quality scans and treat it right in post, it'll be close to what those bigger cameras can do. Bolex is kind of like the DSLR of the film cameras.  I really love the internal NDs and simplicity of the camera. I think for solo type shooting, it is a really good option. 

5 hours ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

Kodak Atlanta are the lab I’ll use if I have a choice, yeah. This had to be developed and scanned by Pro8mm at the time, KFLATL were closed down because of COVID restrictions. They did a good job, but Kodak’s scans are just a hair more crisp. 

Gotcha. I used them in April as well. I think Kodak is open again on the 7th.

• 1 month later...

Wonderful information about 45990 anamorphic on 16mm film, thanks a lot for sharing kind of content with us. Your blog gives the best and the most interesting information. I wonder if we can gather such practical information about it, a great post definitely to come across. Do check out this https://www.lifetimeheritagefilms.com/ it has some great and nice ideas to look for.