Sony A7S II successor 9m dot 4K native EVF panel?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
57 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-confirmed-spec-sony-a7sii-successor-has-a-new-9-44-million-dot-evf/

Apparently not even a rumour, he's seen the proof.

I am ready for the $6000 price tag :)

Whoa. That's over 4k resolution on a tiny EVF. I wonder what the refresh rate would be?

Edit: I saw that its dots, not pixels. 4 dors pake for a single pixel. So yeah, much lesser but still almost double of what's presently in the best ILC EVFs available right now. 

17 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Whoa. That's over 4k resolution on a tiny EVF. I wonder what the refresh rate would be?

Edit: I saw that its dots, not pixels. 4 dors pake for a single pixel. So yeah, much lesser but still almost double of what's presently in the best ILC EVFs available right now. 

I think Sony EVFs are using RGB now. The 5.76 million dot EVF on the S1 (which I love) works this way so this new one is maybe 2160x1440. Either way it's pretty impressive! The current 5.76 one has a refresh up to 240fps but the only (I think!?!?!) cameras that use it (S1 and A7rIV) go up to 120.

1 hour ago, TheBoogieKnight said:

I think Sony EVFs are using RGB now. The 5.76 million dot EVF on the S1 (which I love) works this way so this new one is maybe 2160x1440. Either way it's pretty impressive! The current 5.76 one has a refresh up to 240fps but the only (I think!?!?!) cameras that use it (S1 and A7rIV) go up to 120.

Interesting. I am wondering whether larger LCD would have been a better idea. Or using that money for mini XLR and better heat management, and cost cutting perhaps. Since the new sensor and redesigned body for the 10-bit video is going to already push the costs substantially. Plus the new sensor, and 9ther features. 

It will be unfortunate if the best image the camera produces is the image on the EVF!
If Andrew is correct about the 6k cost then the Komodo will creep into the frame for a lot of potential purchasers. 
It’s going to be quite a month - R5, Sony ?, more Komodo footage...   none of which will actually improve anyone’s creativity and imagination...

15 hours ago, sanveer said:

Interesting. I am wondering whether larger LCD would have been a better idea. Or using that money for mini XLR and better heat management, and cost cutting perhaps. Since the new sensor and redesigned body for the 10-bit video is going to already push the costs substantially. Plus the new sensor, and 9ther features. 

This! I'd love mini XLRs and not need adaptors hanging off the camera. I guess it's always the compromise between hybrids and dedicated video cams.

Personally I love having a good EVF although that's probably partly down to becoming long-sighted as I get older and it being a pain to use an LCD!

I'm not sure about the Sony, but on the GH5 the focus peaking is only calculated on the screen/EVF resolution, not on the full-resolution image being filmed.  I've found this a real limitation and one of the reasons that MF is easier with the EVF than the screen, as it has a higher resolution than the screen.

I never thought about it before, but in that sense, extra resolution is useful for MF.