Fuji H.265 vs Blackmagic Pocket 4K ProRes 422

Andrew Reid

In terms of hardware acceleration, the new T2 Chip in newer Apple computers has some kind of H.265 hardware acceleration, but I'm not that clear on if it's just decoding or encoding too.

As it also does encryption it's hard to find references that don't talk about that and talk about the h265, but I've seen it crop up a few times in benchmark tests.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

H265 4:2:2 10bit currently is not HW accelerated by Nvidia or by intel quicksync.

Nvidia 10xx supports 10 bit 4:2:0 and 20xx supports 10bit 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 but no 4:2:2

On resolve you need to disable quicksync to playback h265 10bit 4:2:2....

The other part of HEVC decoding is that it's not a simple question of whether your GPU supports it. Last year I upgraded my CPU from an i7 4770 to a Ryzen 3600. My GPU remained the same, and yet my HEVC decoding performance in Resolve jumped from barely usable to really smooth. This was editing the same exact project with the same exact files on the same version of Resolve studio. I don't know if it was the CPU, the new motherboard/chipset, whether Resolve just doesn't like 7-year-old systems, or what--but it's certainly false that the GPU is the only factor, even on GPU accelerated performance in Resolve.

I can say that with regards to H265 4:2:0 10-bit footage Davinci Resolve used to work and broke. With an Intel i7 5930K and an nVidia GTX 1070 decoding was flawless in Resolve Studio 12, 13, and 14. As of Resolve Studio 15, and continuing into 16 it's extremely low performance.

7 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

The other part of HEVC decoding is that it's not a simple question of whether your GPU supports it. Last year I upgraded my CPU from an i7 4770 to a Ryzen 3600. My GPU remained the same, and yet my HEVC decoding performance in Resolve jumped from barely usable to really smooth. This was editing the same exact project with the same exact files on the same version of Resolve studio. I don't know if it was the CPU, the new motherboard/chipset, whether Resolve just doesn't like 7-year-old systems, or what--but it's certainly false that the GPU is the only factor, even on GPU accelerated performance in Resolve.

Honestly after a couple of years of toying with Resolve I'm still a bit unsure what settings are gonna get me smooth playback without just explicity pre-rendering uncompressed proxies (not just the optimised media setting in Resolve), it's all still slightly voodoo it seems to me anyway. And no I didn't read the 900 page manual.
I've a Ryzen 7 2700 and Vega 56 amd and would get tolerable playback when just cutting (i.e. no grading/fx yet) 10-bit GH5 clips and likewise 200mpbs h.265 Fuji clips. It's often not quite hitting reliable 25fps playback or if it does, it starts skipping after a short buffer of a couple seconds.
For some reason the Colorist tab of the NLE would somehow seem to perform better (all else being equal i.e. same amount of nodes active/inactive as when in the Cutting tab) for no apparent reason. Maybe the 'optimised media' (background rendered lighter proxies, I understand) only begins to be leveraged there. I forget where the 'smart'/'user' render cache setting starts to factor in.

Since I have an AMD system I sure wish Fuji DID offer the 4:2:2 in my XT4.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:47 PM, kye said:

In terms of hardware acceleration, the new T2 Chip in newer Apple computers has some kind of H.265 hardware acceleration, but I'm not that clear on if it's just decoding or encoding too.

My 2018 Mac mini has the T2 chip.
In the Handbrake compressor video encoder there are two Apple “VideoToolbox” modes,
one H264 & one H265.
These modes have accelerated encoding several times faster
than the other modes, and I think these use the T2 chip for encoding.

1819389772_Handbrakesettingsmenu.jpg.417803016142d4659c2bdd0ee775c58e.jpg

Unfortunately my "H.265 (VideoToolbox)" encoding test from 10bit input came out 8bit from Handbrake.

Nevertheless Quicktime playback of 4k60p 10bit HEVC is always smooth on this machine.

• 6 months later...