Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

Got myself A7SIII and tested it against A7III. I've noticed that when I record in Slog2 or Slog3, A7III appears brighter despite having the same settings. It's about 1/3 to 1/5 stop brighter than A7SIII. When I shoot with PP off, everything looks the same.
Has anyone experienced this issue?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/29/2020 at 9:35 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Also coming soon ;)

pro-color-v5-cover.jpg

Hi Andrew I love the Canon Color V4 on my Sony A7RIII. I have the Sony A7SIII. I'm struggling with getting Canon colors on that. Is this new release for the Sony A7SIII... if so when you be releasing? Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

This commissioned skateboarding video was shot using the fx3, but it used the features that the a7s iii has: 120p 4K, all intra-codec to minimize motion artifacts, IBIS, good AF, and the parfocal behavior of the 28-60mm lens.

The expressions of the skateboarder as he fails over and over and then nails it, twice, are the foci.

On 5/8/2021 at 10:19 AM, markr041 said:

This commissioned skateboarding video was shot using the fx3, but it used the features that the a7s iii has: 120p 4K, all intra-codec to minimize motion artifacts, IBIS, good AF, and the parfocal behavior of the 28-60mm lens.

The expressions of the skateboarder as he fails over and over and then nails it, twice, are the foci.

Beautiful! 

Getting one for myself soon. Time to finally step my game from the infamous GH5. Still trying to wrap my head around which lenses to grab. 

I want Sigma 28-70 2.8 as a main workhorse lens

Samyang 35 1.8 for gimbal work and absurd amount of bokeh

And for wide, I am torn between Tamrons 20mm semi-macro and 17-28. I can get the latter for around 600 usd. 

But I do love macro and Samyang and Tamron 20 2.8 have almost the same weight, which will let me swap them on the gimbal without much rebalancing. Hard choice. 

19 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Getting one for myself soon. Time to finally step my game from the infamous GH5. Still trying to wrap my head around which lenses to grab. 

I want Sigma 28-70 2.8 as a main workhorse lens

Samyang 35 1.8 for gimbal work and absurd amount of bokeh

And for wide, I am torn between Tamrons 20mm semi-macro and 17-28. I can get the latter for around 600 usd. 

But I do love macro and Samyang and Tamron 20 2.8 have almost the same weight, which will let me swap them on the gimbal without much rebalancing. Hard choice. 

Funny, I have the almost exact setup minus the Tamron 20. The sigma 24-70, Tamron 17-28 and Samyang 35 are all great. The 17-28 is such a great wide. I will also use a close focus adaptor on the 35 to have some macro work along with using it on my 75 Samyang. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I got A7S3 and a bunch of questions along with it. 

1. There is no active stab in S&q, but why? I want to record in 60p and view it in 24p so I know what I shoot. Is there any other way to do it with active stab? 

2. When I connect my hdmi monitor, the camera screen goes black. How should I tap to focus now? Is there a way to keep my display on? 

On 5/26/2021 at 10:04 PM, Amazeballs said:

1. There is no active stab in S&q, but why? I want to record in 60p and view it in 24p so I know what I shoot. Is there any other way to do it with active stab? 

2. When I connect my hdmi monitor, the camera screen goes black. How should I tap to focus now? Is there a way to keep my display on? 

I have figured it out myself:

1. Its possible with 2.0 firmware upgrade. Hurray!

2. Also possible, need to turn off HDMI display in settings

I've got into an extremely wired situation. I've been using a Lexar V60 card that worked perfectly with all the A7SIII recording modes I need except 240fps. Sony wants a V90 for that. So I bought a separate card for that option. I went with a Kingston Canvas React Plus which has nice reviews and scored a second place after Sony own card on a Sony A7S3 speed test (you can observe it here - https://www.memorycard.guru/-Cameras/Sony-Alpha-7s-III). So.. imagine my surprise, when I injected the card in the camera, formated it there.. and  nothing worked! It records only as a V30. Not even V60 material is recorded and of course no V90! Sony gives me warnings and won't let me record anything rather than 4k24 most basic codec stuff! 

Anybody has any idea? I wrote to Kingston already.

I did a CrystalDisk test on my PC and it shows 308 read and 244 write speed. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 2:47 PM, macnerd said:

so i bought the sony a7s3, I notice even though my exposure meter is set at 0.0 on the screen the image is dark, anybody else experiencing this problem?

It's dark in post or just when looking at the on camera screen? I think the A7S3 screen is just crappy. Log also has very little color or contrast so it looks dark until corrected in post. 

On 6/25/2021 at 4:09 PM, TomTheDP said:

It's dark in post or just when looking at the on camera screen? I think the A7S3 screen is just crappy. Log also has very little color or contrast so it looks dark until corrected in post. 

its dark on the screen

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...