Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, Dave Del Real said:

How on earth did he adjust those Standard settings? All I see on my A7III is Contrast, Saturation and Sharpness and all can only be adjusted +or- 3. Is a new setting on the A7SIII????

Makes me wonder why Sony stopped allowing apps in camera.

The first version A7s (and the A7s ii) and many other Sony cameras can download the Sony liveview grading app and that gives you soooo much control over those settings.     So many variations it could literally take years to go through them all.

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-000010

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
39 minutes ago, noone said:

Makes me wonder why Sony stopped allowing apps in camera.

The first version A7s (and the A7s ii) and many other Sony cameras can download the Sony liveview grading app and that gives you soooo much control over those settings.     So many variations it could literally take years to go through them all.

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-000010

The whole playmemories concept, was the light bulb moment for me and mirrorless camera's.  It got me thinking that a mirrorless camera was just a computer with hardware and firmware for core functionality, but also could have apps downloaded and installed to add features.  I imagine it was a nightmare for them to manage all the different camera options and firmware levels and was slowing down firmware releases to support it.  If camera firmware was more like Smart Phone O/S's and app SDK's, then Sony probably could have kept Playmemories going, but the support matrix was becoming exponential for them and the architecture of the Playmemories framework.

I have like 14 apps that I bought and justified buying them, since I could have them on upto 6 camera's.  At the time I figured I would always be able to install them.  Only camera that I have, that has playmemories on it, is my old RX100 Mark IV.

On 8/20/2020 at 3:02 PM, Hangs4Fun said:

You are correct on Standard only having Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpness.  I'm not aware of Highlights and Shadows being in a picture profile setting.  So my first instinct was that it was one of the settings options in DRO, which would make sense due to the name Dynamic Range Optimizer.  But I didn't see Highlights or Shadows there either.  Makes me think these are some new parameters and levels for the A7SIII.

I have passed along this question to PRO Support and will let you know what they say.

Did you hear anything back? It'd be great if Sony implements a firmware update to add this function to the A7III.

20 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Probably because of the Hack that prompted Sony to stop playmemories..

The "hack" only removed record time limits and the NTSC/PAL warning, all of which is no longer an issue with the current gen cameras. I seriously doubt the chance to sell $10-20 apps was derailed by someone bypassing that annoying NTSC/PAL warning. They said it was changes in code that made the newer cameras not compatible with the apps. Though I wonder if there was any profit in the apps, not sure if they sold in the volume needed to continue development, its not like smartphone apps that are downloaded by the tens or hundreds of million.

Chris

@Trek of Joy I was not aware of Brandon before so thanks for the heads up.

Very impressed. I have never been much of  Sony fan before but this unit and the lens options available are ticking just about every box except...

Price

I’d prefer 20 megapixies 

I’d prefer a tilt screen

None of the above are deal-breakers however.

Otherwise that XH2 had better be damn good and available by end of March 2021 otherwise for only the 3rd time in my 20 year professional career, I will be switching. 

Unlike those folks that switch 3 times in a year.

And then actually admit it in a specially made YouTube video...

On 8/26/2020 at 8:35 AM, Dave Del Real said:

Did you hear anything back? It'd be great if Sony implements a firmware update to add this function to the A7III.

actually no, I submitted via email (like the last couple) with the PRO Support person I have been working with.  He had been responding to additional questions via that email chain.  He might have been out last week, so I will reply to the email I sent.  If I don't hear back by Monday, I will just call in, and get the answer.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:53 AM, MrSMW said:

@Trek of Joy I was not aware of Brandon before so thanks for the heads up.

Very impressed. I have never been much of  Sony fan before but this unit and the lens options available are ticking just about every box except...

Price

I’d prefer 20 megapixies 

I’d prefer a tilt screen

None of the above are deal-breakers however.

Otherwise that XH2 had better be damn good and available by end of March 2021 otherwise for only the 3rd time in my 20 year professional career, I will be switching. 

Unlike those folks that switch 3 times in a year.

And then actually admit it in a specially made YouTube video...

You are wise to make switching very seriously, as it is a huge cost on many fronts (lenses, getting that second nature back with the new platform, different workflows, different software/drivers, etc, etc.   I was about 3 months away from switching, because for my video needs, I required 10bit color in a small body size.  My a9 meets most of my photography needs, and a7R3 the rest.   I'm heavily invested in GM glass (24, 16-35, 24-70, 85, 100-400) and some additional choice primes that I would hate to be without the Sony 90mm macro f/2.8 and Sony/Zeiss 55 f/1.8.  

But on my radar was the S1H, X-T4, and R5 was in the running (until it was clear that camera is not going to be a work horse).  If I could bring a Sony FX9 to the places I shoot, then I would have just gone with one of their FS or FX cameras.  Now with my commercial video and corporate work kicking up, I can justify an FX9 level camera now (just still couldn't bring it where my passion projects are shot).  That a7SIII may end up being my solution for both professional work and passion projects, so for me I don't have to think about switching any more.

It is no small decision to switch, so hopefully the X-H2 is everything you need.  From what I have seen Fuji doing with video lately, they will likely hit that one out of the park.  You may be looking at having S1H level video with decent tracking based AF.

I wish you good luck!

On 8/20/2020 at 9:01 AM, Hangs4Fun said:

QUESTION TO DO WITH A7SIII TESTING

If there is any interest, I am more than willing to establish a set of test parameters for when my A7SIII comes in.  This could also include the external RAW option (as long as Atomos releases the firmware update on time).

I could even do some private TEAMS, WebEx, YouTube live streams and do some live tests, as well as having live test parameters being given to perform live.  Then make the footage available for download either via Google Drive or Vimeo.

Like this comment or reply to it, if you are interested.  If there is enough interest, I will set up a new thread to start collecting the test parameters and conditions.  And start planning the live sessions.

Yes please, I really want to see that 4K/120p combined with motion controlling. Do you have the ability to do motion controlled sliding, pan, tilt?

On 8/20/2020 at 9:29 AM, Hangs4Fun said:

Daai, I'm not sure if this will help you on your A7III, but its worth a shot.  Watching the Brandon Li short film shot on the A7SIII he described what he did to get more dynamic range.  I would think it is worth a shot to try on your A7III.  He just uses the Standard Creative Style with the following adjustments: 

• Highlights -9
  • Shadows +9
  • Sharpness -7
  • DRO AUTO

Brandon is used to shooting on A7III, A7RIII, etc and since those are 8bit and S-Log3 is unusable, he learned to get more dynamic range with other techniques.  He applied those to the A7SIII (which is good for you, but ultimately, I also think because of that, he didn't squeeze all of the DR out of the A7SIII that he could have)

Will try this on my a7iii. Thanks

On 8/19/2020 at 5:15 PM, Hangs4Fun said:

yeah, I really love using my Ninja V and false color's, makes it fast.  I do use a variable ND (the PolarPro PM edition on my Sony 24GM f/1.4).  I really like your idea of using a cheap and light plastic monitor to get false colors.  But since I mentioned it, maybe I should upgrade my phone to the Sony XPeria 1 Mark II PRO if it actually does have an hdmi port.  Sony is interested in providing us monitoring capabilities with their top Xperia phones, I just thought it wouldn't be available until the Mark III.  The video tools on the non-pro Xperia 1 Mark II already have false colors and scopes, so if the PRO version adds hdmi,

I think that would be the best way for me.  Since I have to have a smart phone for my wilderness trips any way (not for cell service, but for using topo maps, and Earthmate bluetoothed to my InReach Explorer, controlling my drone, and backing up my footage at night in the hammock to a Samsung T5).  

So the new PRO edition of Expedia Mark II is going to have hdmi and scopes and false colors as a monitor option for our Sony cameras?

yes please. How much is that beast?

5 hours ago, Hangs4Fun said:

It is no small decision to switch, so hopefully the X-H2 is everything you need.  From what I have seen Fuji doing with video lately, they will likely hit that one out of the park.  You may be looking at having S1H level video with decent tracking based AF.

Indeed it is not and especially as someone who ‘hates’ change...

But there are times when you need to make changes and that time for me has come.

My ‘ideal’ at the end of 2019 was the tech of the XT3 in the XH1 body, but we got the XT4.

That is not to say the XT4 is not a great camera but for me, needs the battery grip plus I need 2 units at all times...and that makes for some fairly big units which begins to work against me again...

So right now, my ideal kit does not exist.

We’re closest today with the new Sony.

I was giving serious consideration to the Canon’s but they have pretty much blown it for themselves.

This new Panny S5 is potentially in the running but based on history, surely the AF (essential to me) is going to let it down.

Then there is Nikon. The Z6 and lenses ticked pretty much every box except twin card slots (dual write) and 4K 60p otherwise I would have already gone there.

XH2... it’s just a big unknown at this point in time with nothing except supposedly official confirmation that something will be coming at some point.

The bottom line for me is a number of factors and in no particular order:

I’m not going to switch for the sake of it.

Funds are tight for obvious reasons and there is so much uncertainty for the near future, it’s not an ideal time to be ‘investing’.

I have 8 months to my next job so plenty of time and if the right replacement kit is not available by that time, I will wait until it is because...

...what I have is ‘good enough’ and when I do whatever comes next, I don’t want to be changing or ‘upgrading’ it any time soon after that. Which is back where I started, - I ‘hate’ change. But will make any changes if on balance it’s worth it to me.

A7S3 is ticking a lot of boxes right now though...

On 8/29/2020 at 12:41 PM, LightShooter said:

So the new PRO edition of Expedia Mark II is going to have hdmi and scopes and false colors as a monitor option for our Sony cameras?

yes please. How much is that beast?

That is what Ted Forbes was saying over at the YT channel ArtofPhotography  

For me, I carry my cell phone on my trips into wilderness, not for cell service (which there is none), but to bluetooth to my InReach explorer device so I can use EarthMate app, to control my drone, to check off my shot list for that video, to back up the days footage and photo's onto a tiny indestructable 1TB Samsung T5 I bring, etc.  I tried hauling a SmallHD Focus 5" for a couple of years and more battery power, but between the monitor, the bracket, the cables, the battery power, etc; it is almost 2 pounds.  And when you already have your wilderness gear for a week or two trip, your photography gear (landscape, astro, wildlife), and then filming gear too (plus multiple audio recording types, drone, etc)...  it all adds up.  So I stopped bringing my SmallHD.  

My goal on these trips is that every device has multiple uses and balances the weight, size, cost, function as much as possible.  So the idea of using my phone (already have it and use it for other things) as not only a monitor, but also the ability to fill the gap where the Sony A7SIII falls short (scopes and false color for setting exposure quick) would be very welcomed.  I might need to add an additional 5k-10k mAh of battery capacity to my chargers, but that is far less than a monitoring set up normally.

On 8/29/2020 at 3:36 PM, MrSMW said:

I have 8 months to my next job so plenty of time and if the right replacement kit is not available by that time, I will wait until it is because...

...what I have is ‘good enough’ and when I do whatever comes next, I don’t want to be changing or ‘upgrading’ it any time soon after that. Which is back where I started, - I ‘hate’ change. But will make any changes if on balance it’s worth it to me.

A7S3 is ticking a lot of boxes right now though...

I wish you the best of luck, of course hit us up on here to talk through your pro's and con's.  It is so important to understand your business goals, your requirements, the priority and "weight" of each of those requirements, a realistic evaluation of what you have and how that meets and doesn't meet your current and future needs, etc.  No small task.  On one hand just the thought of switching makes me anxious, but on the other hand, it can be exciting and light a new fire to your passion and motivate you, rekindling that drive.  But dang, no small decision for sure.

Good luck 🙂

On 8/29/2020 at 12:29 PM, LightShooter said:

Yes please, I really want to see that 4K/120p combined with motion controlling. Do you have the ability to do motion controlled sliding, pan, tilt?

Hey LightShooter, I have a full Edelkrone setup.  As the ole Franks Hot sauce commercial says...
"Edelkrone, I put that $h1t on everything", lol

I will be doing some shots with the JibOne combines with dual HeadOne V2's for repeatable motion controlled pan/tilt/jib movements.  Also will be doing some shots with the SliderOne Pro V2 combined with dual HeadOne V2's for repeatable motion controlled pan/tilt/slider movements.  I want to see how well the A7SIII does with parallax in an outdoor scenario, with high dynamic range needs, and lots of motion and reflections (waterfall, creek, large bolders).  Will be testing that in 10bit 4K/120p and 10bit HD/240p, plus 16bit 4K RAW (out to 12bit 4K ProRes RAW, as long as Atomos releases it when I go to test).  

Also, looking forward to testing out the time lapse with these setups.  A motion controlled Jib movement with pan/tilt done over an hour or two, has an interesting look to it.  And with 12.1MP sensor at 4264 x 2408, the resulting timelapse would be about a 4.3K video.

If you have anything specific to do with motion controlling and A7SIII tests you would like to see, let me know.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:20 AM, Hangs4Fun said:

Hey LightShooter, I have a full Edelkrone setup.  As the ole Franks Hot sauce commercial says...
"Edelkrone, I put that $h1t on everything", lol

I will be doing some shots with the JibOne combines with dual HeadOne V2's for repeatable motion controlled pan/tilt/jib movements.  Also will be doing some shots with the SliderOne Pro V2 combined with dual HeadOne V2's for repeatable motion controlled pan/tilt/slider movements.  I want to see how well the A7SIII does with parallax in an outdoor scenario, with high dynamic range needs, and lots of motion and reflections (waterfall, creek, large bolders).  Will be testing that in 10bit 4K/120p and 10bit HD/240p, plus 16bit 4K RAW (out to 12bit 4K ProRes RAW, as long as Atomos releases it when I go to test).  

Also, looking forward to testing out the time lapse with these setups.  A motion controlled Jib movement with pan/tilt done over an hour or two, has an interesting look to it.  And with 12.1MP sensor at 4264 x 2408, the resulting timelapse would be about a 4.3K video.

If you have anything specific to do with motion controlling and A7SIII tests you would like to see, let me know.

I would love to see how the A7S3 handles exposure changes and AF when that Job lifts it from one darker place closer to a lighter place that is farther away, especially in 4K/120P.  When do you think you will be able to test this?

Oh, and thanks 

1 hour ago, LightShooter said:

I would love to see how the A7S3 handles exposure changes and AF when that Job lifts it from one darker place closer to a lighter place that is farther away, especially in 4K/120P.  When do you think you will be able to test this?

Oh, and thanks 

I've added it to my shot list.  Let me know if there is any interest for a live stream.  Almost like being able to remote control the A7SIII and then have the resulting files uploaded to see the results.  Could be an interesting experiment.  But at the very least, send me any kind of shots you are interested in and I will add to my list.