Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Really enjoy his review, but tempered my expectations for the camera as there is still some annoyances that they could have solved. Headphone jack interrupting the monitor is something I know would drive me crazy. 

Boggles me that they don't put all headphone/mic/HDMI ports on the OPPOSITE side!

You can put the SD slot behind where the hinge swings out, as how often do you need to access the SD card slots? Only one a day (perhaps maybe two or three times). 

10 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

On some videos skin tones look decent, on others though they look bad. It's strange, because it'll happen in the same video.

If the image and color is at the and of a day someone's top priority - as for me - maybe is not too digression to remind that Z cam E2-F6 Full-Frame 6K is 4000$

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1496581-REG/z_cam_e2_f6_professional_full_frame_6k.html

21 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

Some good shots and DR seems pretty good :

Trust Yourself (100% Sony a7SIII short)

youtube watch?v=Kfwr6BTPVh8

What do they mean by short? Short on visual splendor, short on being a film, short on acceptable skintones- especially at the paragliding part? Produced by Sony?- not short on being a good joke. I usually don´t get upset about harmless videos like this. This time it is just the notion of disbelieff. Having to witness something like this, people enjoying the luscious lifestyle of material wealth but being bothered by having skintones like orange smurfs. "Trust yourself"- on being an orange smurf in the sky.

10 hours ago, anonim said:

If the image and color is at the and of a day someone's top priority - as for me - maybe is not too digression to remind that Z cam E2-F6 Full-Frame 6K is 4000$

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1496581-REG/z_cam _e2_f6_professional_full_frame_6k.html

You can say that, my well and oh so well mannered spoken friend. 🙂 Or get yourself a FS700 with a Shogun Flame and a speedbooster for less than 2500 USD.

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Boggles me that they don't put all headphone/mic/HDMI ports on the OPPOSITE side!

You can put the SD slot behind where the hinge swings out, as how often do you need to access the SD card slots? Only one a day (perhaps maybe two or three times). 

Makes way to much sense, common sense doesn’t fly in this industry.

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I though about this too, reason probably being the right side is where the grip is, so if you block the grip, how to hold the camera.  Also most of the gimbals have the arm on the right side... So there's basically no good place for the jacks, left side being the best compromise.

46 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

What do they mean by short? Short on visual splendor, short on being a film, short on acceptable skintones- especially at the paragliding part? Produced by Sony?- not short on being a good joke. I usually don´t get upset about harmless videos like this. This time it is just the notion of disbelieff. Having to witness something like this, people enjoying the luscious lifestyle of material wealth but being bothered by having skintones like orange smurfs. "Trust yourself"- on being an orange smurf in the sky.

I said good SHOTS, not shorts.... It's just a little short film, nothing spectacular but I do find there are some good images. Yeah the skintones are not as good on Canon on Panasonic S1H, but I find the DR quite good in some of the shots. 

8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

It is obvious when he said "Short" he means "Short Film"

8 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I though about this too, reason probably being the right side is where the grip is, so if you block the grip, how to hold the camera.  Also most of the gimbals have the arm on the right side... So there's basically no good place for the jacks, left side being the best compromise.

My Panasonic G9 has the Mic Input on the front side of the left side of the body (next to the camera lens mount). 

It seems really weird at first? But makes a LOT of sense too. As it keeps it well out of the way when the screen is flipped out. 

I did find a lot of footage to lack the feel of the bigger cams, but it is what it is.  Only thing in the lower price range with "thick" color seems to be the blackmagic cams. Also it's really hard to tell with the YT compression 😞 makes everything look worse no matter what. I think PB and the chinese review show that you can finesse the camera to look pretty good.  It's not as good as FX9 but you can get surprisingly close, and certainly more than good enough for paid work. I mean people are making money with A7III and this certainly isn't worse.  Trades a bit of sharpness detail for better codecs, useability, and higher frame rates.

I do find it takes a lot of post to get the image where I want it, but that's the trade off for AF performance and cost, and it works for me (and others). If pocket 6K had AF for $3,500, or even UMP Pro G2 for 10K those would be killer.

At the end of the day, the result is good enough. Just compare it to some of the grades you see on commercial productions streamed on Netflix/Amazon, some of those are AWFUL combined with the compression. I'd wager the "lackluster" footage is still better than a lot of the shows you could stream. The High ISO combined with NR does look pretty crap though I'll give you that, pretty much cellphone quality at the point but it is in the dark so there's that.

Yes the SOOC isn't ideal, but what matters to me is that I can process it to look good!

I have better Samsung phone photo color compared to A7S3 mountain range footage.  Someone help me understand why the A7S3 footage is so underwhelming.  I believe the A7S3 has luma color and gamma issues. 

Sony mirrorless cameras have never had "thick color" except the A9 II in some cases.Canon has "thick color".  I believe this has to do with color science and DR placement.  Why? Shadow color and mid tone DR.

Let's not blame You Tube for bad color and washed out footage.  RED, Canon and others don't have issues like this. 

1 hour ago, Ashit Tandon said:

To me the skin tones just always look harsher on Sony. Never had this issue with Canon and Fuji. Is there a technical reason for this?

Maybe skin tone issues have to do with luma and color gamma issues.  I think Sony has always lifted these values to gain an advantage with low-light performance.  They add NR and you have great low-light performance.  If you lift these values past a point you have color shift issues. 

If you lower them you gain detail but the image will start to fall apart on any camera.  The other issue is WB.  The more blue or green you add to the shot the more it affects yellow to red values.   You can pull blue and green out of shots but you don't want this to be your starting point.  

On 8/4/2020 at 5:26 PM, anonim said:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1496581-REG/z_cam_e2_f6_professional_full_frame_6k.html

Question by newbie... can be a solution also for still picture?