Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, ajay said:

Both Undone and Bloom are the best IMO. I always look forward to their reviews. I did learn a few new tidbits from Bloom's review of the A7SIII that are important to my style of work (wildlife):

• Animal eye detect autofocus does not work in video (stills only). Philip has started a petition on this, here's the link if you want to sign this.
  • Tracking autofocus does not work while using Clear Image Zoom.
  • Tracking autofocus does not work while using an external monitor.
  • Punch-in does not work (manual focus) while recording.
  • Clear image zoom works to 1.5x.

Lot's of positives with the A7SIII but there are negatives too. I wish this camera had Canon's autofocus capabilities. With that stated, I'd much rather deal with these issues than a camera that can't recover from overheating until hours later, has line skipping in 120p 4k and humongous file sizes.

???? Tracking autofocus does work with an external monitor, in the video it shows that it even has the ability to control it from the external monitor. 

12 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I am not seeing much noise difference in that comparison shot.

Watch it in the video, definitely a difference in motion. 

Crazy that I ended up in the video! (@7:22) 

Really enjoy his review, but tempered my expectations for the camera as there is still some annoyances that they could have solved. Headphone jack interrupting the monitor is something I know would drive me crazy. 

Just now, thebrothersthre3 said:

Looks like an external recorder is a good solution for the NR issue, plus you get 12 bit color etc.. Guessing no 120p 12 bit prores RAW though. 

Ya, not possible with the Ninja V. Probably in the next recorder they launch?

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

???? Tracking autofocus does work with an external monitor, in the video it shows that it even has the ability to control it from the external monitor. 

Tracking does work with a monitor, but there's one exception he encountered. He said touch tracking works fine with a clean feed from the camera like when you're recording, the exception is when you have the display icons on your monitor that show settings and AF point - then the camera LCD goes dark and you lose touch tracking. It starts at about 56:25. Another bug that could be fixed with a FW update.

Chris

37 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

What do other external recorders (Blackmagic video assist) allow? Presumably 4k 10bit 422 is possible? I can’t decide whether to get a Ninja - the cost of the Anglebird SSD plus the reader is putting me off...

I use the Samsung EVO 860, 2tb for about $300, and the Ninja includes one drive caddy so you're good. I did buy the Anglebird cable though to get footage to my computer.

18 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The Sandisk Ultra3D is a good low cost alternative and ticks all the boxes on the Ninja V tested and approved compatibility chart.

https://www.atomos.com/drives

I just looked at that list, its been updated since I bought my Samsung drive a couple months ago, more drives including the Angelbird/Atomos and the Sony Atom X's now have the untested/failed red dots with raw. Wonder what's up with that?

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

Say what you will about Phillip Bloom but I found his hour plus piece on the A7SIII to be quite enjoyable. Well enjoyed over a cup of fine coffee as I did. I do take his review for what it’s worth as again he is paid and he does have access to nice and expensive Sony glass (of which I do not). For those of us who casually shoot and can’t afford the $3500 body, surely there will be a trickle down of some of these features to the a6XXX line at some point right?

I doubt it. Sony really does not care for its APS-C line. They are iterating it A6000 body forever, reusing the sensor with horrendous rolling shutter, and never responding to Fuji dominance on the format.
It is only a cheaper gateway to E-mount, just there hoping that people jumps after to FF.

Hmm looking at that Trust Yourself film maybe it's the grade but am not falling in love with the colours of the A7s3 yet, skin tones look a little lifeless in places.

It definitely seems to be lacking the lovely colour science of the FX9, has anyone seen any great footage from the camera yet?

I read somewhere I think on here that Philip Bloom felt image was up there with the FX9. I can't handle watching his full length feature film to find out if thats' true but didn't like the grade on his Prores RAW film

4 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

I doubt it. Sony really does not care for its APS-C line. They are iterating it A6000 body forever, reusing the sensor with horrendous rolling shutter, and never responding to Fuji dominance on the format.
It is only a cheaper gateway to E-mount, just there hoping that people jumps after to FF.

The A6## cameras are not aimed at video users any more than the Canon and Nikon apsc DSLRs are.

Video is an important part but not the most important in those cameras.    The vast majority of them are just going to be family videos and stills.

Sure Sony does not put as much effort into APSC as FF but the 24mp Sony APSC sensors are still very good (and especially for stills that they are more aimed at).    Remember some of the others ALSO use the Sony 24mp sensors and the M43 cameras use Sony sensors as well.