Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

9 minutes ago, cam1982 said:

A few comments look like people don't like to accessorize their rigs. Funny to say the least.

I happily rig my Pocket cameras....  they're used mostly on monopods and tripods anyway.

I'd be interested to see how handheld work with the R5 is restricted by the Tilta accessories; many will want to use it for Photo and Video at the sametime.  Or even how effective the cooling is to handle the overheating issue.  Its all speculation at this point.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 hours ago, jgharding said:

So I know they were saying "FX9 colour, everything is fine now" but I watched this official video and her skin is doing the "Sony thing", jumping from yellow, to magenta, to magenta blotches in low light.

I guess I'll have to try one out and see how it is IRL, but this doesn't fill me with confidence...

The initial shot is nice, but the blue light ones she is blue and magenta, in blotches, the tunnel ones she is yellow...

I don't know what's at play here, ISO colour shift, how the sensor reacts to different lights (it seems to be having a horrible time with bluer than daylight and those tunnel lights, which are probably fluros) but it's not a good advert for the camera.

In the Kitchen video there's also some weird stuff going on with the tungsten lights going very yellow too.

Most camera launch films, for one reason or another, are usually very poor and don’t show off the camera too well. 

From launch videos, and the vast majority of YouTube and Vimeo uploads - the colour from every camera looks pretty whack. Even though the original A7SII did have weird as hell white balance, nearly everyone on the internet made it look like a turd, but you could actually get some really juicy colour out of that camera with PP tweaks and grading. 

Phillip Blooms paddle film with Atomos was dull as dishwater with the usual quick fire FilmConvert grade. That Japan one was regularly badly exposed, lit, colour corrected and graded. It is baffling the big brands approve these edits to advertise their cameras. 

There’ll be loads of great looking footage shot with this camera. I just hope the white balance is fixed! 

I ordered my A7Siii without watching a single review on YouTube. I feel I’ve missed out on the joy of the buying process.

I did watch some paddle boarding on the Thames and daresay I’ll watch Bloom’s review once it is published.

It (coupled with the GM 24mm f1.4) suits my limited needs almost perfectly. 

8 hours ago, Yurolov said:

Im sorry, but everyone is just going to let this comment go by and not say anything? "Tony has statistically proven most people talk shite about color science." HAHAHHAHA. OK. I didn't realise Tony was so wise as to be able to do that. 

Yeah, he has. He surveyed 1500+ people. Where's your survey to refute it? 

The fact you're disputing people are fanboys about camera brands is funny. First day on the internet?

54 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I didnt expect that much difference between the fx9 and the a7s iii. Looks like Sony is holding out again, was kinda hoping they fixed colour as the other specs are minor upgrades.

The previous one couldnt even do 1080 100fps without a heavy crop. This one is doing 120fps at 4k with only slight crop. Plus it has AF, fully articulating screen and 10bit h265..... Some people are hard to please 😅

8 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

The previous one couldnt even do 1080 100fps without a heavy crop. This one is doing 120fps at 4k with only slight crop. Plus it has AF, fully articulating screen and 10bit h265..... Some people are hard to please 😅

Just talking IQ here.

Some comparison vids starting to come out. The Canon has great IBIS whilst walking, im really impressed. It also to my taste has better colour but I would say the Sony is much closer than before. I mean at least sky is blue instead of teal now. I think the skin would only need minor adjustments compared to before. Personally I'm still a little bit traumatised from my time with the Panasonic GX7 and G85 which had really big issues with blotchy skin that wasn't easy to fix, so nearly anything is a huge improvement to me 😛 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgcp8wXAUZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC39Z6vZgHw

image.thumb.png.f7ad6a1274feb5db769bf4906f7da619.png

image.thumb.png.76a587ce944b1812ae57e64f7256c0c0.png

image.thumb.png.93e5e559abc84bcce8d5a4b5ae58058c.png

10 hours ago, Neufeldt said:

It's fine on many machines in Resolve, even somewhat GPU-independant (decoding can be done on GPU or on CPU).

Yes, I believe it is going to work on many machines.
But on his video it didn't playback realtime on a Mac pro with the vega 2 card and 12 core CPU. 

So I decided to try for myself on my humble Ryzen 1600 with RX570 card.
Resolve and all drivers are the last updates.
And it didn't playback realtime, but the footage from A7s 3 works really well since it is H264 10bit.

In this fast test I set the timeline to 29,976fps for the Canon R5 footage. 
A7s3 footage is in 50fps.
In the end I add a pocket 4k footage BRAW 24fps.
Playing R5 H256 the CPU was maxed out at 100%, then it droped to 25% with the A7s3, and finaly 15% for the Pocket 4k BRAW.

I don't know for what kind of machine I would have to upgrade to play these H265 files realtime.
Dont know if you guuys have tried any of these footages, but if yes, let us know about the performance.

15 minutes ago, luizhmgoncalves said:

Dont know if you guys have tried any of these footages, but if yes, let us know about the performance.

I find the footages here:

4k H265 10bit - EOS R5
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dA1Em-D2ioEJU5jInk_JT_EsQGVIprCZ

4k H264 10bit - A7s3 footage (Terrible filmed by those Italian guys a video posted early)
https://slimdogsproduction.wetransfer.com/downloads/be4e230906d02ad1281aa39cf8a4fe1820200723133445/c42214

1 hour ago, luizhmgoncalves said:

Yes, I believe it is going to work on many machines.
But on his video it didn't playback realtime on a Mac pro with the vega 2 card and 12 core CPU. 

So I decided to try for myself on my humble Ryzen 1600 with RX570 card.
Resolve and all drivers are the last updates.
And it didn't playback realtime, but the footage from A7s 3 works really well since it is H264 10bit.

In this fast test I set the timeline to 29,976fps for the Canon R5 footage. 
A7s3 footage is in 50fps.
In the end I add a pocket 4k footage BRAW 24fps.
Playing R5 H256 the CPU was maxed out at 100%, then it droped to 25% with the A7s3, and finaly 15% for the Pocket 4k BRAW.

I don't know for what kind of machine I would have to upgrade to play these H265 files realtime.
Dont know if you guuys have tried any of these footages, but if yes, let us know about the performance.

Premier might not be the best software to use for playback.   FCPX might have a better chance working with H265.

17 hours ago, Nezza said:

The test got the exact opposite reaction to the stated preference - by a large margin - go watch the video. It was over 1500 people. I'd say that's indicative. People are fan boys about camera brands - we know this!

The day you give me someone completely independant and a test with  like 20 - 50 images with many skin tone in different lighting condition I will believe it. It is so easy to give bias, as someone who has work a lot with caucasian skin who come on vacation in my tropical island who become red pink under the sun and I have to play with hue of the red to make then more olive green yellow. I am sure Nikon but more so Canon would look less flattering.

9 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Potato Jet's comparison to the FX9 was very interesting. 

He found the FX9 at max iso (12,800) with exposure brought up in post to match 64,000 iso was a better image than the A7s3 64,000 ISO. It had more detail and he said it was cleaner. I am sure this is at least partly due to the noise reduction on the A7. Pretty disappointing that Sony won't allow NR to be disabled. Very over looked thing on Sony's cameras. 

In that case a viable alternative is to shoot at 16,000, which is much cleaner and just raise exposure in post the same way he did with the FX9. I'd be interested to see that one since we've seen how clean the a7s3 is at 16k. Its really amazing watching all the reviews how incomplete the tests are in the rush to be first. Even the Undone video leaves questions...

Chris

33 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

In that case a viable alternative is to shoot at 16,000, which is much cleaner and just raise exposure in post the same way he did with the FX9. I'd be interested to see that one since we've seen how clean the a7s3 is at 16k. Its really amazing watching all the reviews how incomplete the tests are in the rush to be first. Even the Undone video leaves questions...

Chris

Maybe but the a73 even had bad NR at 3200 iso. Unless they improved it on the a7a3

If many different reviews start uncovering over heating issues with the A7S III, then there needs to be an equal amount of outrage in this community as was sent to Canon R5 $ 6. I don't know about you guys but this truly makes me appreciate my current camera. I was telling myself, I may have to replace my Z6 with the R6 but looking at the reliability of these newly released cameras, my Z6 will definitely stay around for a long time! 

If over heating have never affected your shooting, then you don't know how it really sucks. Summer 2016, I save and planned a Europe Trip. I had the A6300 as my camera and though I was able to get some beautiful pictures and videos, I wasn't able to use it when I wanted to or I had to adjust the time of day that I go out exploring because the camera was overheating and shutting down. I had to use my phone for pictures and video for about half of the time

After that experience, reliability became my number one factor in choosing a camera based on how I use it. Never will I buy a camera from any company if reliability wasn't great. I had to revert back to shooting with a mixture DSLR and mirrorless for a few years while waiting for what feels like that "unicorn" hybrid mirrorless camera.  I guess the wait continues to see what the rumored Z6s will bring or if the next A7 IV will be what I need without any over heating or Panasonic will finally deliver with AF on the successor to the S1.