Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

17 minutes ago, Django said:

Oh right, the price / form factor argument! Kinda begs to question why was the C300 MK3 even considered in the first place? Oh wait maybe it never was..

M'kay.. Touché.

Nonsense. A7S3 is a technical masterpiece & is as perfect as it gets!

I mean he did specifically say technical masterpiece, not masterpiece. 

I've flipped between form factors so I wouldn't be so quick to crucify the guy. The C300 MK2 image is really nice. I'd get it if I had the money.

Gerald has never really got on the color science superiority train, so I don't think that's much of a factor to him. 

I just had a dude on facebook tell me his S1 overheated at 93 degrees in direct sun, so go figure. I'll have to run a test on mine and see what it can handle. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
37 minutes ago, Django said:

Oh right, the price / form factor argument! Kinda begs to question why was the C300 MK3 even considered in the first place? Oh wait maybe it never was..

M'kay.. Touché.

Nonsense. A7S3 is a technical masterpiece & is as perfect as it gets!

He loved the C300 and literally released a video saying it was his favorite camera. 

3 weeks later he received a camera to try out that he preferred and instead placed an order for 3 of them. 

Not everything is a conspiracy. It's okay to disagree with his conclusions, but let's be real. 

12 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

I know I should not compare it to an arri alexa. But dang I just wish these companies could get arri style colour in an affordable package in 2020. The alexa is 10 years old, and these japanese companies dont come anywhere close to its image or colours 10 years later, in tech years thats ages. Sony had great colour on the F35, so not sure why they have not matched it 10 years later.  

I love my Nikon colors, its the closest to the Arri I have found, that is a little greener (not Sony green) that Canon which is a little bit more pink.

11 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

I love my Nikon colors, its the closest to the Arri I have found, that is a little greener (not Sony green) that Canon which is a little bit more pink.

Yeah I like the nikon colours, but dynamic range is still lacking on nikon cameras (and some usefull features). Maybe they will amaze us with their next camera, but I really doubt it. They have no higher end line to protect, so they could have done this 8 years ago and blew the competition away, but they didnt, so not expecting any miracles from their end.

No one was doing this 8 years ago.

Nikon did give us ProRes RAW , 10bit 4K out and the better mirror-less camera for the last 2 years.   They will lose that title now but the Z6s should actually be a great camera.  Nikon had no reason to give us ProRes RAW , 10bit 4K but they did.

The new Z6s is rumored to have dual processors.  What could this unlock?   4k120p or 4K60p ? or 4K10 bit internal?

The Z6s should be inline with the R6 as far as specs go.

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Have you given up from R5, Chris? I didn't yet..

; -)

Only canceled my pre-order, but still going to see if it works for me. I did get a pre-order in for the a7s3 right when it went live just to be in the front of the queue. I want to see what happens with full production models of the R5 in the hands of people that aren't trying for youtube clickbait stuff, so I'll be watching what people are saying over on Fred Miranda and such. Still holding out hope it'll work for me as it ticks so many boxes. I placed an order to rent one from Lens Rentals here in the US, but it'll be a month before there's one available. Waiting to hear back from a rental house nearby to see if they're getting the R5.

I know a Sony ambassador that does similar stuff to what I do and she's loving the a7s3 now that she can talk about it, and she's not much of a video shooter. I could go either way at this point and be happy. I just need to figure out the most reliable solution for shooting in warm climates.

Cheers 

Chris

8 hours ago, Nezza said:

I know, it's nuts. Making judgments of a cameras ability based on YouTube videos = basic fail.

There's more guff spouted about colour science then pretty much anything else. Northrup has statistically proven most people talk shite about colour science.

7 hours ago, Nezza said:

Oh colour science

Oh colour science is definitely a thing it's just people are very very subjective about it and there's a ton of brand loyalty that isn't born out by the actual pictures people prefer.

Tony asked people who they *thought* had best colour science (winners Canon and Nikon) then he got the same people to choose their favourite colour science on a blind picture test.

Canon and Nikon came bottom (with negative scores) Sony came top and obvs Sony is perceived to have relatively worse colour science. People are brand fan boys - who knew!

Im sorry, but everyone is just going to let this comment go by and not say anything? "Tony has statistically proven most people talk shite about color science." HAHAHHAHA. OK. I didn't realise Tony was so wise as to be able to do that. 

Someone should quickly run to Mr Deakins and tell him the goods news. I'm sure he will be grateful that he isn't bound to the alex anymore. Good thing he is shooting the next willy wonka - the A7siii will fit in just fine!! 

8 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

I want to see what happens with full production models of the R5 in the hands of people that aren't trying for youtube clickbait stuff, so I'll be watching what people are saying over on Fred Miranda and such. 

I believe Tilta will work for me, you and every happy Tilta customer. They're good!

45 minutes ago, shooter said:

I believe Tilta will work for me, you and every happy Tilta customer. They're good!

probably will extend the recording time, but I will be surprised if the issue is totally resolved, on the other hand, we now will have a camera closer to the $5K, not happy about it.

Hi Guys, I would like to hear your toughts on that:
It sems like no GPU today can support editing H265 4:2:2 10bit, only 4:2:0 or 4:4:4, as Max Yuryev demonstrates on his videos, and was atested by other people in the coments.
So If you plan to shoot Canon Log footage with the R5 or R6 you might be in for CPU overheating while editing.
Raw 8k plays much better on his tests.
At least the A7s 3 have the options for more friendly codecs.
I don't plan on buying any of those cameras, at least for now. 
I work with documentaries, and I'm currently using the Pocket 4k.
Worked with Sony Alphas, and GH4/5 before.
For my workflow It would be impractical having to transcode files to be edit friendly.
Maybe sobe GPU drivers update are comming, but is strange that canon would bet on that.

If I would pick any of those cameras, Color sciense asside, I wold look for an external recorder.
It might solve the overheating problems of the a7s 3 in higher temps, don't know.
For the prices of Cfexpress or Sd cards that are able to deal with the higher bitrate modes is easy to find a Ninja V recorder with the same amount of storage.
I think I'm a little bit spoiled by the ability of recording to usb c drives on the Pocket, and I'm waiting a little bit to go back to full frame.

So let me know what you guys think about that problem with H256.
Have you seen someone else talking about it?

20 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

So Dan retest it again for overheating, now people say he must have faulty unit, yeah definitely free pass to Sony on overheating.

don't forget to pre-order a backpack with the retractile umbrella option for run and gun with the new Sony a7s3. In case of you took R5 path, I just saw a big discount on Walmart for fridges using the coupon FANCANON.

20 minutes ago, luizhmgoncalves said:

It sems like no GPU today can support editing H265 4:2:2 10bit, only 4:2:0 or 4:4:4, as Max Yuryev demonstrates on his videos, and was atested by other people in the coments.

It's fine on many machines in Resolve, even somewhat GPU-independant (decoding can be done on GPU or on CPU).

So what have we learnt?   Seems to me the Canon WILL probably over heat due to internal camera generated heat and outside temp may not make much difference at all.

The Sony will overheat quicker when the outside temp is high enough to make a difference but might not at all otherwise.

That makes me even more sure that Tilta thing would actually work BETTER on the Sony than the Canon.

I stand to be corrected!

Guess we are all still looking for this (even if only for down the track).

DSC06043.jpg