Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Haven't seen any "normal" footage yet, but I love my A7III colors for the most part (in Resolve).  Pretty much any camera with good lighting looks good though.  So many bad shots because of... bad lighting... to be fair some cameras do better than others with artificial light. This looks like it should do fine, but it would be nice to see some sample ungraded clips.

Finally had time to check out some A7sIII news, I only clicked on Gerald's and PB's video (and some sample shots), the others looked way too clickbaitey (DO YOU like RANDOM punctuation?!!!! 🤮 INSANE!!! giant funny face with hand holding camera) 

Looks pretty good, 120p looks a bit soft but that's fine (a lot of the night 120fps shots look pretty bad, but sufficient for corporate), I'm going to stick to 60fps. HDMI door looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Other than that it seems to solve most of my complaints with the A7III. Oh, active IS seems to be only good for static shots, seems to screw up movements from the one comp I saw.

Looking forward to adding it to the arsenal!

I have a crystal sync sound 16mm camera that I acquired for $980, so now every time the latest and greatest digital camera drops, I view the price tag through the lens of how many gold Kodak canisters loaded with a 400’ core load I could purchase and process with the same amount of money. An A7sIII is about 7 loads of 16mm film, processed and scanned. That’s 77 minutes of footage at 24fps. Conservatively, that’s a 15 minute short film in the bag, or a 30 minute film if you shoot a tight ratio. That’s almost enough film to produce the entire first act to a feature if you plan carefully.

The dynamic range is ok I guess, and the color science is at least useable, but it doesn’t have AF, and it’s not full frame, so I should probably replace it soon with something newer? 

5 hours ago, Yurolov said:

This is not a professional tool. I'm sorry, but if it overheats then it cannot be used in a professional setting. Will be fine for youtubers and people doing stuff for personal hobby and such. But not a serious paid professional. 

The amount of hypocrisy in this forum is bewildering. Everyone giving it a pass left and right. Yes, it matters if it overheats only in direct sun lol. If I am shooting anywhere outside there is a good chance I will be in the direct sun, unless I confine myself to shade. 

Daft blanket statement. Depends on how you make money as a photographer.  I'm a "professional" (I make my living from photo/video). I shot on a d5300 for a few years lol. I used to do a bit of teaching and many amatures/enthusiasts had 5x the dollar amount of my kit. 

I'll be keeping a beady eye on overheating in high ambient conditions though. Crap loads of sun and 35+degree days are common in Aus.

21 minutes ago, gethin said:

Daft blanket statement. Depends on how you make money as a photographer.  I'm a "professional" (I make my living from photo/video). I shot on a d5300 for a few years lol. I used to do a bit of teaching and many amatures/enthusiasts had 5x the dollar amount of my kit. 

I'll be keeping a beady eye on overheating in high ambient conditions though. Crap loads of sun and 35+degree days are common in Aus.

Yeah pretty stupid comment. “The way I work is the way every pro works.” Clearly not the case. “Every pro works in direct sun light!”. Erm, no they don’t.

The idea people are giving the Sony a free pass is also nonsense. I suspect people that think that are rather disappointed the new Canons didn’t meet the hype. Not so secret “brand ambassadors”.

I would rate this forum as one of the more objective camera forums. Minimal brand loyalty. Pop over to dpreview if you disagree. 

2 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Great edit, bad skin tones.

This looks horrible. No different to any a7iii footage you see out there, but worse even. It's got good paper specs though....

This is perfect video for this camera as well - travel, youtube, young people selling capitalist lifestyle. People will click on it because they like the camera and specs and marketing bs. 

But no professional can use this overheating in 24p. Just like the canon turd. But at least with canon, you spend 2000 more and get  c200 with nd, raw, audio input, etc. 

Youtube and vloggers like small form factor the most, and want to sell to you even though it overheat crap. 

Yeah I’ve watched a bunch of A7S3 videos and unfortunately can’t  say I’m very impressed by the colors, skin tones and overall look.  It has that alpha series video look I’m not so fond of.

Of course the 10-bit makes for smoother grading and the ALL-I fixes the horrendous motion cadence of A7III, but the absence of S-Cinetone is a shame.

On the PotatoJet video you can really see what I’m talking about as the footage intercuts with FX9 footage that looks so much more organic/filmic.

Of course when shooting 4K120p with cine/telephoto lenses the footage looks tasty but otherwise I havent seen anything really impressive.. yet.

Will keep an open mind though as this camera ticks many boxes, but after the initial hype passes.. IQ is really what matters to me in the end, especially when considering a 4200€ mirrorless.

9 hours ago, andjo said:

That Dan Watson video made me wondering if A7S and R5 overheat/shut down at the same temperature software wise? Or if they have different cutoff points. Haven't seen any hard numbers on this. The R5 manual doesn't seem to mention any specific number?

Ok so I was a bit sleepy when I wrote that sentence. What I was tryin to say was if it has been confirmed anywhere at what in-body temperature that each camera is set to turn off? Because if there is a difference, like lets say the A7S turns off at 160°F and the R5 turns off at 150°F then there is some room for tweaking those numbers in a later firmware. Dan Watson is the only one I've seen that used a thermometer so far (for some reason he didn't include the actual reading when they turned off though which is a shame). I hope to see some more in-depth thermal tests (suggestion for all you awesome reviewers out there! 😀) when the final units starts shipping. So many great cameras out right now to choose from, unbelievable!

Also after watching the Gerald Undone video, I’m a little suspicious over his motives.

He went the extra mile with the R5 overheating tests, causing many people to cancel their R5 pre-orders.. but then says in his video “the A7S3 doesn’t  overheat” when we know from several sources it does overheat and VERY quickly at that in direct sunlight.

I guess he covers his bases at the end when he says he only did “lab tests” i.e no outdoor field tests.. but not such a thorough reviewer after all.

Furthermore, he mentions several times that he cancelled his C300 II purchase in favor of two A7S3’s. He never goes into the reasons why. I find that kinda sus. 

4 minutes ago, Django said:

Also after watching the Gerald Undone video, I’m a little suspicious over his motives.

He went the extra mile with the R5 overheating tests, causing many people to cancel their R5 pre-orders.. but then says in his video “the A7S3 doesn’t  overheat” when we know from several sources it does overheat and VERY quickly at that in direct sunlight.

I guess he covers his bases at the end when he says he only did “lab tests” i.e no outdoor field tests.. but not such a thorough reviewer after all.

Furthermore, he mentions several times that he cancelled his C300 II purchase in favor of two A7S3’s. He never goes into the reasons why. I find that kinda sus. 

That's a pretty wild take on one of the more respected and impartial camera reviewers. He explains prior to the Sony he was a big big fan of the Canon C series AND his exact reasons why he's not buying a C series and why he's buying the Sony. I guess you missed that part.

14 minutes ago, Django said:

I said it before - wide discrepancies in reviews. The problem with Gerald is that he always goes above and beyond to test, and thats what he is known for - but this seems an obvious fail. Is it intentional or did he just miss it? I think a bit of both. 

You will see for yourself how serious he is as a reviewer with a statement like: "i will replace c300 mkiii with a7siii".

This is a very juvenile statement, and you can see what kind of mind he has thinking the c300 and a7s are somehow equivalent. 

Perhaps for the use in youtube studio it is so.   

5 minutes ago, Nezza said:

That's a pretty wild take on one of the more respected and impartial camera reviewers. He explains prior to the Sony he was a big big fan of the Canon C series AND his exact reasons why he's not buying a C series and why he's buying the Sony. I guess you missed that part.

He knows a7s will sell better through his affiliate links than c300. Must continue to hype as "perfect camera". Meanwhile, he shows few seconds of actual footage (not shot by him), which looks like camcorder footage. 

9 minutes ago, Django said:

Until the part that he is cancelling the C300 III I would have given the doubt but it smell a bit fishy with his conclusion..... also not sure why you choose a cinema camera with ND, RAW, can run for hours, great audio control, etc.... and suddenly an hybrid is better... would he have chosen an FX9 then I would understand.

But if he mostly uses for indoor fixed scene like his YT channel then you get two camera and you don't care to much about the advantage of a true cinema camera.

The problem with all these YT review that is a race against time and you cannot really compare with others view that are all under NDA so you don't have any input on what to double check. If they would do the review after a few weeks that is broadly available would be much better but nobody will care at that point....