Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

3 minutes ago, Django said:

I'm aware of that yet in sunlight the R5 beat the A7S3. Also at least that "BS lineskipped 1080p looking 4k" doesn't brick the camera, whereas A7S3 seemingly failed in 4K24p under 23mn.

Let me be clear, neither situation is good. If you shoot outdoors in the summer or live in hot climate it's basically a no go. 

All I'm saying is Sony deserves the same amount of scrutiny that Canon endured in the last few weeks.

Not really as I don't think the Canon is usable under any circumstance if its overheating in an air conditioned building indoors and takes 2 hours to cool down. 

Its not a new thing for Sony though, the A73 would overheat quickly outdoors in direct sun. In that crazy Flordia sunlight camera test I think the A73 lasted 5 minutes lol. Most situations don't call for your camera being left to bake in the sun though. 

Not even being able to record video after a 1 hour stills session is what the Canon is offering. I don't think the Canon received the scrutiny it did for overheating while baking in the sun. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
31 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

R6 still look nicer in ISO 25600 and way sharper than A7sIII, can't really read the text on a7siii but clear on R6.

r6 a7siii high iso.png

Let alone colour accuracy... : X

2 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

Look this video at about 10:45...
So yeah it overheats severely in sunlight, in outdoors and all. about 20/25mn and then shuts up. I may keep my S1H for now.

The way you are ready to switch camera format from 2019 to 2020 absolutely puzzles me...

Is it so bad that S1H...?! *cough cough*

31 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

The way you are ready to switch camera format from 2019 to 2020 absolutely puzzles me...

This! 

Why are people so desperate to turn their gear over so quickly when the tool they have is perfectly fine?

I was seriously considering the A7SIII as a B-Cam for the many shoots I do on the FX9 which until now, I have used a Pocket4K for. 

I haven't read anything other than what's on this thread until know but this camera overheats as well? Really?

So, Sony spend three years on this camera making it a video powerhouse and they confine it to a mirrorless body that overheats? Crazy!

I don't know about anyone else here, but I almost never shoot in the rain and when I do, it's easy for me to fashion up a little plastic rain cover over my Pocket4k, FX9, or whatever other camera I'm using.... I do however, shoot in sun and warm temperatures especially when shooting sports stories. I'll take a few ventilation ports and even a small fan over a tiny weather sealed mirrorless body any day of the week, any season of the year!! I can see when it's going to rain and prepare for it, I can't constantly try to keep a camera from overheating when I'm shooting outside. 

Also, I'f you are using a small external monitor, they are not weather sealed anyway so what's the point for us video shooters?

So, I guess I'll stick to the Pocket4K for now. None of the producers I work for seem to have any issues with the colour difference between the FX9 and P4k........no reason to change.

35 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

It's not bad at all, actually it's the best camera i've ever had for video besides dedicated professional video cameras, i just sometimes would love to have a better video AF. 

I mean, when I see the latest iterations of the Sony and Canon mirrorless, it makes me even more confident that the S1H is a great and reliable camera! Still sometimes i'd love to have some reliable AF in video. And better lens options, but this will come. 

For now i'm just a distant observant. My S1H serves me well. 

I've been looking at R5 and A7S III videos all day and the main thing that sticks out to me is how off the colors look. On the A7S III people look dead  and on the R5 people look unnatural, they just pop out from the rest of the image. To Canon's credit, at least what they are doing with skin tones can be considered somewhat pleasant, despite it obviously not being right. Not sure why this is as the Venice, FX9, C500 Mk II, C300 Mk II all have great color so obviously Canon and Sony know what good color is, just not putting it on hybrid cameras. Blackmagic Pocket Cameras, Fujifilm XT-3/4, Panasonic S1, S1H, Newer Red's not including Komodo's, Zcams, and obvioulsy all Alexas all have great colors. Sure they all look different but nothing really pops out as being unnatural. I know that one can push images towards almost any direction in color grading but there is something off with these new offerings from Sony and Canon. At least with the R5 one could argue that there color while off looks pleasant on skintones.

Maybe someone could educate me as I am not the most technical person, but why do blackmagic and fujifilm cameras look so good despite having seemingly inferior dynamic range compared to the A7S III? It's not a rhetorical question as the A7S III looks like a great camera that has a lot of what I'm looking for but I hate having to fight with colors in post. I really wish Sony would have given us FX9 or Venice like colors. I've yet to see a video from either the R5 or A7S III that has colors even remotely as nice as their elder brothers in larger pro video form factors. In contrast the images from the S1H marry really well with the professional cameras from Panasonic. It seems like the price you pay for having the great AF from R5/6 or an A7S III is colors that just look off or having to deal with it in post.

1 hour ago, noone said:

Stills focused generally-  R6

Stills focused low light-  A7siii

Video only- A7siii if you take longer clips in sometimes warm temps, otherwise, flip a coin.

Hybrid - Flip a coin ( A7siii for me but others will differ)

I'm a Nikon shooter. I considered going back to canon briefly there for a bit. But the cynicism of engineering overheating (or at least not bothering to engineer it out) on a $7kaud camera put paid to that.

If I was going to ditch Nikon it would most likely be to Sony: they innovate, they don't hobble their small cameras too badly to protect their cinema line, they have a good range of bodies. (I know their lenses are expensive, but there are other options).

Whilst I love the nikon look, I was out shooting with the z6 yesterday.  I don't love it like I did the d800. It's clunky.  It feels amateurish. The auto focus is pants.  The dynamic range is lacking.  I think I'm ready to move on. It's not me, Nikon, it's you.

2 minutes ago, Batteries said:

I've been looking at R5 and A7S III videos all day and the main thing that sticks out to me is how off the colors look. On the A7S III people look dead  and on the R5 people look unnatural, they just pop out from the rest of the image. To Canon's credit, at least what they are doing with skin tones can be considered somewhat pleasant, despite it obviously not being right. Not sure why this is as the Venice, FX9, C500 Mk II, C300 Mk II all have great color so obviously Canon and Sony know what good color is, just not putting it on hybrid cameras. Blackmagic Pocket Cameras, Fujifilm XT-3/4, Panasonic S1, S1H, Newer Red's not including Komodo's, Zcams, and obvioulsy all Alexas all have great colors. Sure they all look different but nothing really pops out as being unnatural. I know that one can push images towards almost any direction in color grading but there is something off with these new offerings from Sony and Canon. At least with the R5 one could argue that there color while off looks pleasant on skintones.

Maybe someone could educate me as I am not the most technical person, but why do blackmagic and fujifilm cameras look so good despite having seemingly inferior dynamic range compared to the A7S III? It's not a rhetorical question as the A7S III looks like a great camera that has a lot of what I'm looking for but I hate having to fight with colors in post. I really wish Sony would have given us FX9 or Venice like colors. I've yet to see a video from either the R5 or A7S III that has colors even remotely as nice as their elder brothers in larger pro video form factors. In contrast the images from the S1H marry really well with the professional cameras from Panasonic. It seems like the price you pay for having the great AF from R5/6 or an A7S III is colors that just look off or having to deal with it in post.

Because people using a Venice, FX9, C500 Mk II, C300 Mk II usually know what they are doing 😛 .

A lot of youtubers have to clue of how to handle footage, the Highlights are clipping hard on a lot of videos and that not pleasing, but I blame the user, not the camera.

I shoot all those on a A7rii/A7iii and you can get the skin to look nice , it a bit more work than blackmagic but it s possible and that was all on 8 bits codecs internal ( except the anamorphic one), So I m confidant that you can do even better with 10 bits 4.2.2

Just now, newfoundmass said:

I thought the colors I was seeing out of the A7siii looked pretty decent personally. 

Maybe my eyes are just tired from working all day in front of a computer and watching camera videos when stuff renders. I may need to walk away and come back when my eyes are fresh.

17 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

This! 

Why are people so desperate to turn their gear over so quickly when the tool they have is perfectly fine?

I was seriously considering the A7SIII as a B-Cam for the many shoots I do on the FX9 which until now, I have used a Pocket4K for. 

I haven't read anything other than what's on this thread until know but this camera overheats as well? Really?

So, Sony spend three years on this camera making it a video powerhouse and they confine it to a mirrorless body that overheats? Crazy!

I don't know about anyone else here, but I almost never shoot in the rain and when I do, it's easy for me to fashion up a little plastic rain cover over my Pocket4k, FX9, or whatever other camera I'm using.... I do however, shoot in sun and warm temperatures especially when shooting sports stories. I'll take a few ventilation ports and even a small fan over a tiny weather sealed mirrorless body any day of the week, any season of the year!! I can see when it's going to rain and prepare for it, I can't constantly try to keep a camera from overheating when I'm shooting outside. 

Also, I'f you are using a small external monitor, they are not weather sealed anyway so what's the point for us video shooters?

So, I guess I'll stick to the Pocket4K for now. None of the producers I work for seem to have any issues with the colour difference between the FX9 and P4k........no reason to change.

You remind me of a shoot I just did last Wednesday, weather was heavy, So I checked every few minutes and then you are focused on the last shot and bang heavy rain. We where already prepared with umbrellas etc, but in 1 minutes everything, so no I am not tradding my 2 z6 for weather sealing. They served me well in my tropical island, I wouldn't want humidity to case problems to my cameras.

That Dan Watson video made me wondering if A7S and R5 overheat/shut down at the same temperature software wise? Or if they have different cutoff points. Haven't seen any hard numbers on this. The R5 manual doesn't seem to mention any specific number?

1 minute ago, Batteries said:

Maybe my eyes are just tired from working all day in front of a computer and watching camera videos when stuff renders. I may need to walk away and come back when my eyes are fresh.

They're far from perfect but they've definitely improved them. I liked the footage I saw in Potato Jet's video especially. 

1 minute ago, andjo said:

That Dan Watson video made me wondering if A7S and R5 overheat/shut down at the same temperature software wise? Or if they have different cutoff points. Haven't seen any hard numbers on this. The R5 manual doesn't seem to mention any specific number?

Its gotta be software partially on the R5. How could it shut off at the exact same time in direct sun as it did indoors air conditioned?

7 minutes ago, andjo said:

Dans overheated. Kai’s overheated in direct sun. Gerald said he didn’t have a problem. Tony said he couldn’t get it to overheat. B&H used it in direct sun and didn’t have a problem. Potato Jet recorded 40 mins in a room. Put it in a 104 degree oven and it lasted 13 minutes directly after the 40.

So we have wildly different temperature results.

R5/6 seem to overheat more consistently problem is it’s consistently worse with a huge recover time so bad you might as well try again tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, gethin said:

I'm a Nikon shooter. I considered going back to canon briefly there for a bit. But the cynicism of engineering overheating (or at least not bothering to engineer it out) on a $7kaud camera put paid to that.

If I was going to ditch Nikon it would most likely be to Sony: they innovate, they don't hobble their small cameras too badly to protect their cinema line, they have a good range of bodies. (I know their lenses are expensive, but there are other options).

Whilst I love the nikon look, I was out shooting with the z6 yesterday.  I don't love it like I did the d800. It's clunky.  It feels amateurish. The auto focus is pants.  The dynamic range is lacking.  I think I'm ready to move on. It's not me, Nikon, it's you.

I don't know if it is photo or video (I guess photo because the the z6 destroys the d800 in video) but for methe z6 is the most enjoyable Nikon camera I have ever use. I am not a big fan of small small camera as is the norm now, so my cage stays on the camera even when I take photos. I take more videos than photos with the Z6, but at least for my use the eye and face detect and nearly full sensor AF are so much more convenient to use. Last year I did 3 set photography and used the z6 with my D810 and I was surprised that I had no problem switching from the EVf to the OVF. Lastly, with the OVF, two custom buttons and where all the controls are it is the best in terms or ergonomic of any nikon camera. I mean only with my right hand I can control, shooting, ISO,  shutter, Aperture, AF mode, shooting FPS and I can access the quick menu with all the different options for ibis on off, picture profile etc. That without leaving my eye from the viewfinder. Auto focus might not feel snapy because everything is silent (Was disoriented when I first got it) but I feel the dual expeed processor is a sign they really want to put more processing power for faster autofocus and wake time, which is always a bit disorienting coming from an evf.