Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

Gerald review is the best right now. I think Sony made all in all a pretty dope camera. IBIS is my only complain but I have a gimbal anyway. I like probably everything about it - DR, Lowlight and double-gain ISO, AF and ability to customize it for the exact focus pull you need, new menus finally, flip-out screen, recording modes and options,  4k quality and etc. I don't see any alternatives for this camera right now. Time to save up money. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
32 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Excellent first review.

He noticed that it does indeed have 15.1 stops at 1 SNR and about 13 stops at 2 SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio). Also his tests seem more convincing that C5D.

He also tested the rolling shutter and it seems way lesser than the A7iii. 

I noticed that there doesn't appear to be any DCI 4k modes and everything is QHD only. Not that it's terrible or anything, but just it out there. 

Sony had advertised the Ambient Shooting Temperature as 25° where it records at 4k 24p 10-bit for 1 hour or until the battery runs out. Sony, unlike Canon have been generous since almost no reviewer said it overheated and wasn't usable after that. One said it overheated but after an hour or so. And then he got another take after that. And he didn't have to use a blower or ice or fridge.

He also noticed that the camera seems to have Dual ISO at ISO640 and ....   ....   ... ISO16000. Which is INSANE. Which means that at super high ISO upto 51200, it should clean as a whistle.

I am actually looking forward to his Dynamic Range Tests. Which seem very interesting. 

Screenshot_20200728-210707_YouTube.jpg

Btw, I think he also said the A7siii has about 1.5 more stops of dynamic range than the R5(?). But I am guessing that was tested with the Clog 1. Clog 3 should have probably another 1.5 stops more of dynamic range. So they should be similar with that update. 

2 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

Gerald review is the best right now. I think Sony made all in all a pretty dope camera. IBIS is my only complain but I have a gimbal anyway. I like probably everything about it - DR, Lowlight and double-gain ISO, AF and ability to customize it for the exact focus pull you need, new menus finally, flip-out screen, recording modes and options,  4k quality and etc. I don't see any alternatives for this camera right now. Time to save up money. 

It does not have dual gain iso.... afaik

1 hour ago, Danyyyel said:

I am a pro and my Z6 autofocus was a life changing tool for me. Last year I was on course to buy a black magic pocket camera as a secondary camera. After using the Z6 for 6 month, I chose another z6 because of the autofocus. Appart from narrative film who uses  manual focus. I mean working on film sets, I think most people fantasies on that and don't know the reality of it. I mean every alexa has 3 person working on each. The DP or second cameraman, both having their first assistant who does focus pulling, both of them having wired follow focus and external screen and a second assistant for everything else.  I mean which production apart from feature films does that. Because the professional world is not only narratives, in fact it is less than 1% of professional video work. Pro work is also news, sport, weddings, events, reportage and documentaries. The last 2 were perhaps a bit more manual focus, but believe me with the knid of autofocus we are getting now, everyone wants to shoot with autofocus.

My Z6 with its very underrated video autofocus can do so much things and for the rest it is just assumptions. It seems from the video that at least it is better for ibis etc... For me if the future Z6s has internal  10 bit log and 60p 4k and even time limited 120 fps, I would be in heaven. So I hope Nikon is forced to do that with Canon and Sony coming out with it.

This right here is why Panasonic needs to get their AF act together or they will go the way of the Dodo.

6 minutes ago, phoberus said:

Does it have S-Cinetone curve or can we expect better skintones compared to a a7iii?

You can have the Cinetone colours with Sony official lut when using Slog-3 Sgammut 3.

S-cinetone curve + Gammut baked in camera actually have less DR than Slog3 on the FX9

29 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Except for Canon I think Sony and Nikon have really good cameras coming out.  

My best take is Nikon gives us 4K120p out at a higher quality than the A7s3 and better 4K60 internal also. 

I think the dual processors will take the load off the sensor and I don't think Nikon will have heat issues.   Nikon will use HDMI to the Atomos when it's needed.   The Nikon workflow out to the Atomos and I'm fine with that if they give better quality and more options with external recording.

I would love that, but I don't think so for 2 reason which are price and size. The Nikon Z6s will be max 2200 at lauch and I think today you can't build a bigger camera if you are not beaten to death by the size brigade. The 2 card slot made the z5 2 mm higher than the Z6, with dual card slot I expect CFexpress/SD I expect it might be even a little bigger but not as much as would be necessary for continuous 4k 120p. This is a refresh so I think price will be still very good. So you will get a super good Hybrid camera with very very good video and photo for about half the price of the R5 and A7r3. A very reliable tool, with pristine build quality and ergonomics. I laugh today when I saw the BH guy doing rack focus with the back screen of the Sony today. I mean I thought it was standard in every Hybrid camera. The viewfinder is also another thing.

Gerald’s video was excellent.

Basically you don’t have to worry much at all about ISO performance except at 6400.

It has more dynamic range at 12800 than the R5 has at base ISO 😳

A solid 13 stops of dynamic range in S-Log3 with s-Cinetone colours using S-Log3 Sgammut 3. Awesome.

AF performance is top notch.

I trust Gerald and if he is ordering two and cancelling his C300II order than it must be good. He makes long form content where he stand sin from of the camera for hours. So he must feel confident in its overheating performance in a studio.

11 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

What a waste of space hahahaha

Looked at it again, in fact no as much as a waste because was able to look at colors and skintones, not very impressed.

Well you know what they say opinions are like...

I think it looks really good too.

Cheers

Chris

Based on what is currently known on these new boys and the existing Panny S1H, I’m still more interested in what the Nikon Z6s will be and what the Fuji XH2 could be...

And fortunately do not need to make any decision until Spring 2021.

Pros and cons to the lot of them and not a single one of them currently ticks my very reasonable needs, but XT4 would be closest.

Man with the r5 I was at least able to hold back because of the lack of dr and overheating. But this thing just sounds insane, no overheating issues, 4k120 at 10bit, great colors, and A DUAL NATIVE ISO OF 640 AND 16000, what kind of number is that? I'm used to the 400 and 3200 on my pocket 4k, but 16000? And hell, even at 16000 it still has 0.4 stops extra dr compared to the pocket 4k.

Just a few years ago we were marveling at the hella noisy 12800 out of the 5d, and now we have 16000 as a native iso? Technology is amazing and I LOVE IT! 

6 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Well you know what they say opinions are like...

I think it looks really good too.

Cheers

Chris

For me just the preview image says a lot. Its has that greenish color I and many don't like which under more chalenging light (here it is golden afternoon light) gives that zombies skin tone.

6 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

You mean for 0.1% of photography. I mean pixel shift is only good for still subject like architecture. This camera with its low megapixel is very good for video, but not photography. At least for professional use, it is hard to sell 12 megapixel in 2020.

It IS hard to sell it to photographers but I still think it is not really an issue for the vast majority of uses.

I think this will be a much better camera for stills than people are giving credit for.

An a7s with pdaf is a camera made for me (shooting mostly stills and an little though increasing video).

3 minutes ago, noone said:

It IS hard to sell it to photographers but I still think it is not really an issue for the vast majority of uses.

I think this will be a much better camera for stills than people are giving credit for.

An a7s with pdaf is a camera made for me (shooting mostly stills and an little though increasing video).

For 1000 usd yes, for 3.500, I don't think so. For half the price you can get very good FF 24 megapixel camera. Everything is not about resolution, but everything start at a certain threshold.

1 minute ago, Danyyyel said:

For 1000 usd yes, for 3.500, I don't think so. For half the price you can get very good FF 24 megapixel camera. Everything is not about resolution, but everything start at a certain threshold.

I shoot a lot in low light so i would rather have 9 stops of DR for stills at ISO 25600 and 12mp than 24mp and 7.

To each their own.