Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, androidlad said:

It's called XAVC RS.

I've never heard of that.  I'm familiar with XAVC-I and XAVC-L, and a little bit of XAVC-S in my usage of my a9, but never heard of RS?  In fact, I've never seen a Sony codec have anything other than a single character in that last position.  Any chance you can back that up with a link to something official that describes more about it?  Otherwise I claim your RS is BS, lol

3 hours ago, Django said:

The design is definitely uninspired. The Sony exec claiming just a few weeks ago “ Everything is new” and “exceeding expectations” was clearly trolling.

I would’ve really liked one new killer design feature like a E-ND or something.

"Everything is new" as in everything is new to that a7S likely (new stacked sensor (that gets almost global shutter like read out speeds without the DR hit), new codec (hopefully XEVC-S), new color science (from venice cinealta line), new EVF (almost 10million 😮 ), new features (no recording limits, 10bit 4:2:2 internal, faster fps upto 120 in 4K, no overheating, possibly new menu system), new processor (to handle new H.265 based codec), new Z100 battery (from a9 and recent a7's), new body design (mostly from a7r4), new dual memory (and quite possibly two options for each of the dual memory slots), new fully articulating screen (from zv-1 and a million other Sony camcorder designs since the beginning of time, lol), etc..  I would definitely give them a pass on saying "Everything is new" ... to the a7S line, if this all is the case...

Ending on you E-ND comment, I seriously hope so and that we have seen the eND of having to use ND filters thanks to eND, lol... 😉 

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

XAVC R5, not RS.

It's not a codec. The camera records XAVC full flavour internally and output X-OCN RAW to the Sony R5 recorder

Are you talking about that big goofy V-mount recorder? The one that's been discontinued? https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/camera-adaptors/axs-r5

The guys in the leaked photo shooting probe lens video of the cheesegrater Mac Pro are using a Ninja V. Why would it indicate that on the camera LCD?

Something seems off...

Nokishita leaked a press sheet:

At the heart of the new Alpha is a 12 megapixel full-frame sensor that has been improved compared to the Alpha 7S II. Sony is now opting for a construction with back exposure (BSI), with which more light can be captured and which enables better results with low light shots. The maximum sensitivity is still ISO 409.600 (expandable down to up to ISO 40). The sensor is supported by the new BIONZ-XR processor, which is said to have eight times as much computing power as the previous image processor. Sony is also breaking new ground in operation: For the first time in the Alpha 7 series, a fully moveable monitor (3.0 inches, 1.44 million points) was installed, which now also allows touch operation of the menus. The structure of the menus has also been completely revised; among other things, only the relevant entries are available in photo and video mode for better clarity. The OLED viewfinder achieves a record resolution of 9.44 million points and a magnification of 0.9x. Even glasses wearers have the entire picture in view, the size of the picture can also be reduced.

4K with 120p
One focus of the camera is video recording. Unlike Canon with the EOS R5, Sony does not use 8K for video, but continues to use 4K, which is said to achieve the best results so far with an alpha camera. The sensor’s 12 MP resolution enables a full-pixel readout without pixel binning and without crop up to 4K / 60p. In this setting, the recording limit should be one hour without overheating – the EOS R5 only manages 30 minutes at 4K / 60p. The video recording of the Alpha 7S III in 4K / 120p mode is limited to this length

The monitor can be swiveled, and the handle and controls have become larger, as with other cameras of the third Alpha generation.

With Full HD, the Alpha 7S III even records at up to 240p. For time-lapse recordings, lower frame rates up to 1p can also be selected in S&Q mode. It is recorded internally with a color subsampling of 4: 2: 2 and a color depth of 10 bits. New codecs are available: XAVC-S-I records single images (All-I) with a data rate of up to 500 Mbits / s, XAVC-HS reduces the amount of data in image group compression to 200 Mbit / s thanks to H.265 compression. With HDMI 2.1, the camera can even output 4K / 60p as 16-bit raw files (ProRes Raw) to an Atomos recorder. Of course there is also a logarithmic gamma profile available (S-Log 2/3), which should enable a dynamic range of over 15 f-stops; the sensitivity starts here at ISO 640 (extended: ISO 160). According to Sony, the rolling shutter effect has been significantly minimized. The Alpha 7S III is equipped with a 5-axis image stabilizer in the housing, which, measured according to the CIPA standard, achieves an effectiveness of 5.5 f-stops; In video mode, digital stabilization (active mode) is also used, which also uses a gyro sensor. The information from this gyro sensor can also be stored in the metadata of the videos so that it can be used in post-processing for digital stabilization.

Fast autofocus and 10 frames/s
The hybrid autofocus covers 92% of the image sensor and uses 759 phase detection points and 425 with contrast AF. In addition to human, the AF algorithms now also recognize animal eyes – according to Sony, also at a greater distance than before. The AF sensitivity goes down to -6 EV series, the camera shoots at up to 10 frames / s. The mechanical shutter is designed for 1/8000 s.

Sony is using two memory card drives in the Alpha 7S III for the first time, which can use both SD cards (UHS-II) and the new CFexpress type A cards. They are smaller than Type B cards and faster than SD cards. For most video modes, SD cards of video classes V60 and V90 are sufficient; CFexpress is only required in S&Q mode with 4: 2: 2 color subsampling and 10 bit color depth. The series mode also benefits from the faster cards; 1000 uncompressed raws in a row should be possible here. Sony plans to launch two CFexpress Type A cards on the market in September, which have a write speed of 700 MB / s and a read speed of 800 MB / s: The 80 GB version is said to be 230 euros, the 160 GB version 440 Cost euros and supplies electricity for 600 photos or 95 minutes of video.

After Panasonic (Mark Frazer and the other guy), Spny seems to be the 9ther manufacturer to make fun of Canon's overheating circus. 

"4K with 120p
One focus of the camera is video recording. Unlike Canon with the EOS R5, Sony does not use 8K for video, but continues to use 4K, which is said to achieve the best results so far with an alpha camera. The sensor’s 12 MP resolution enables a full-pixel readout without pixel binning and without crop up to 4K / 60p. In this setting, the recording limit should be one hour without overheating – the EOS R5 only manages 30 minutes at 4K / 60p. The video recording of the Alpha 7S III in 4K / 120p mode is limited to this length – by the way, a slight crop is used (1.1x).SonyAlphaRumors."

Visit Sonyalpharumors.com

Just now, Video Hummus said:

Does ProRes RAW support more than 12-bits?

All of that sounds really good. Especially S-Log 3 at 10-bit 4:2:2 at such low ISO. 

Maybe not right now. ProRes RAW seems limited to 12-bit, but maybe they move to 14-bit and 16-bit.

Btw this is not an official press release. Its some magazine piece. So not sure this is 100% correct. 

1 minute ago, sanveer said:

Maybe not right now. ProRes RAW seems limited to 12-bit, but maybe they move to 14-bit and 16-bit.

Btw this is not an official press release. Its some magazine piece. So not sure this is 100% correct. 

Yes it looks like a quick writeup of high points once the embargo is lifted. A few things of interest - 759 PDAF points is more than the a73 on a sensor with half the mp, tracking AF should be outstanding. It notes thermal limits and though its not 100% clear, it sounds like 4k120p is internal. The prores raw out is limited to 60p, so that sounds like a Ninja V. It also mentions needing the Type A cards for S&Q 10-bit recording, I hope that's not what's required for 120p internal. That would give me major pause as the cards aren't even out yet and the price for the 160gb card in that presser is obscene. Base ISO in SLog is 640 and extended to 160.

Chris

I read the article in German. He's just compiled the rumors it appears. And I am not sure what publication it appears for, either. Plus its dated the 27th of July, so not really a press release, even remotely. 

I am not sure the Ninja can do over 12bit RAW. Or ProRes either. I am also guessing the missing Cinetone may be due to the fact that the author's guesses aren't as accurate.