Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

24 minutes ago, Laurier said:

Apparently the top view is fake, the front and back are sourced from @nokishita_c , he is usually very reliable.

The absence of the Sony logo on the LCD threw me off as well but you’re right Nokishita is as reliable as it gets when it comes to leaks/rumors..

The design is definitely uninspired. The Sony exec claiming just a few weeks ago “ Everything is new” and “exceeding expectations” was clearly trolling.

I would’ve really liked one new killer design feature like a E-ND or something.

oh well, after the Canon fiasco, I guess anything 10-bit that doesn’t overheat is game on.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/29/2020 at 10:55 PM, Jonathan Grijalva said:

Before too many people get overly hyped on the redesign, consider that they introduce a new lens mount.... then you would have to buy all new glass! 

Either way, it's cool to see new tech coming out, but it's unbelievable how excited people get about 8k. This to me is pointless. I have the S1h and am soooo happy with it, because it has all the functions you need for video. Like for real. It makes everything so seamless and smooth when shooting. I think if camera companies want to really entice videographers, focus more on really important features like more dynamic range, better tools for exposing correctly (waveform/false colors), better button customization, and so on. But no, these companies really just seem to focus on resolution and people eat it up. Remember how much you want that 8k raw when you buy your C-fast cards.... whoa boyyy that's a lot of storage you'll need, and C-fast cards aren't cheap! I think 2020 will be a great year for tech, and I'm looking forward to seeing the footage from both of these cameras regardless. Thanks for the info! 

Agreed on a huge boom in memory cards to support all of this crazy 8k and 12k RAW output, that was the main driver for me to buy stock in a few of the companies that produce them.  Don't get me wrong, I love RAW, but only shoot with it if I am getting paid extra (or it's a special pet project to me), but rarely am I seeing interest in RAW production requirements (granted, take that with a grain of salt, I'm a small production company and pick up commercials and corporate work here and there.  I'm sure there is more demand for the RAW workflow in cinema and music videos, neither of which I have had the opportunity to do yet).

"Exceed expectations" should become the new meme around here.

Looks like a decent if long-overdue update which really brings nothing new or mind blowing.  Hopefully it just works as intended.

Besides the 120fps 4K (that you need an external recorder for, so many people won't even bother), this is so underwhelming.

I am looking forward to finally having a FF cam with 4K60P and AF with manageable codecs so there's that, even though they could have released this camera a year or two ago without the 120FPS and it would have been actually exciting at the time.

3 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

"Exceed expectations" should become the new meme around here.

Looks like a decent if long-overdue update which really brings nothing new or mind blowing.  Hopefully it just works as intended.

Besides the 120fps 4K (that you need an external recorder for, so many people won't even bother), this is so underwhelming.

I am looking forward to finally having a FF cam with 4K60P and AF with manageable codecs so there's that, even though they could have released this camera a year or two ago without the 120FPS and it would have been actually exciting at the time.

I think 120fps is internal in 10 bits 4.2.2, If canon can manage 120fps 4k raw internal that possible.

I think on the leaked pictures its connected to a recorder just for monitoring.

If the rumours are correct we are getting something better than a Venice or a Fx9 in a much more compact package for less money, that quite mind blowing for me.

If they deliver, that would actually be my ideal camera, I loved the images from my G2, but the form factor/weight was really not ideal for me.

7 minutes ago, Laurier said:

If the rumours are correct we are getting something better than a Venice or a Fx9 in a much more compact package for less money, that quite mind blowing for me.

This 👆🏻. If they deliver a very solid 4K 10bit 24/25p with good autofocus and s-cinetone I’m getting one for sure. And the rumors about extremely low rolling shutter makes it even more tempting.

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

I thought it was odd, the different record button really stood out.

yeah, that top record button makes zero sense on an a7 chassis.  They added it to the top of the ZV-1 because it has no forward sloping shutter release like a7 and a9 chassis.  Since the a7S3 is supposedly a video camera first, then technically the shutter release is more about starting and stopping video recording.  And having it already sloped forward, plus it is already a big button, you already for the perfect location to engage recording (not to mention I use all my custom button and especially the C1 and C2, don't want to loose one of them when there is no need.

What I would rather see than a top record button is some menu work.  First a redesign of the menu based on video workflows AND the ability to touch the navigation (I know sounds space age right, lol... smh).  Then some simple changes that would greatly help us when we are getting content solo without a recorder/monitor like the Ninja V.  So, when you have the fully articulated screen facing forward and are recording, instead of a tally light physically on the body, how about just putting a red box around the whole frame of the display (like Ninja V does when recording).  Also how about making the audio levels REALLY big and easily visible (with a high water mark that changes every 5 or so seconds).  I think Sony's focus Peaking and focus boxes are pretty decent already, but how about some real scopes and tools to help us set and monitor exposure?   These are all things that don't require changes to the chassis and button layout, just simple coding that could also be shared to some of the other models through firmware upgrades.

On 7/24/2020 at 4:41 PM, Oliver Daniel said:

Where did this image come from with the LCD screen? Not posted on SAR. 

Anyone else curious if we are getting XEVC-S in the a7S3 or not?  When I zoom in on this leaked image, right where I could have confirmed that they are still using XAVC-S or using the new XEVC-S codec, the pre-production version in the leak appears to have XXXX's there and instead of a single letter for the level (like S, I, or L, obviously on an a7 it would only be S), there appears to be 2 letters there.  Maybe it is XAV CS or XEV CS and the low res of the frame capture is just not good enough to tell.  But from what I can see, they have the codec "X'ed" out.

Right behind the new stacked sensor, I really looking forward to the codec, which is hopefully XEVC-S paired with poor mans Venice color science from the CineAlta line.  

12 minutes ago, Dave Del Real said:

What are the chances the A7III gets a firmware update to get at least a few of these features? Heck, I'd be glad to get 4K60p even in 8bit 4:2:0 and/or 10bit 4:2:2 in 1080p. The A7III is more than capable of this.

Slim to none. Sony ain't Fuji.

36 minutes ago, Dave Del Real said:

What are the chances the A7III gets a firmware update to get at least a few of these features? Heck, I'd be glad to get 4K60p even in 8bit 4:2:0 and/or 10bit 4:2:2 in 1080p. The A7III is more than capable of this.

Definitely not happening. Sony will wait for the A7IV for that.