Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

26 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I wonder what the two white boxes are blocking. MAybe prototype numbers to avoid being tracked for leaks...

I would have just clone stamped any identifiers out. If Sony's smart, they'll have markings in different places on different bodies to see who's violating NDA's with leaks like this.

Although I'm convinced all of these "leaks" have always been just simple marketing tactics. It would be silly for manufacturers to not use rumor sites to their advantage to drum up pre-order hype.

At least seeing "steadyshot inside" means IBIS.

Chris

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

In the latest Sonyalpharumors post there is a feature listed as:

* Movie Edit add-on compatibility for Image Stabilization in post

Does anyone know what that means? At first I thought it meant no IBIS but the photo shows 'stabilisation inside' written on the camera in the same place as the A7riv.

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

In the latest Sonyalpharumors post there is a feature listed as:

* Movie Edit add-on compatibility for Image Stabilization in post

Does anyone know what that means? At first I thought it meant no IBIS but the photo shows 'stabilisation inside' written on the camera in the same place as the A7riv.

Its what they use in the FX9.

Like having a built in SteadXp

https://pro.sony/en_GB/insight/filmmaking-tips/pxw-fx9-tutorial-videos-video-stabilisation

58 minutes ago, Nezza said:

I'll pass thanks Sony.

And that’s ok.

Plenty of other options available for those looking for 24mp or whatever. 

Personally I’ve decided (unless it is significantly different to the leaks) to get it ASAP.  It suits my needs (albeit not perfectly - but I accept that it wasn’t designed and built “for me”).
Lovely rich footage at high iso is my niche. I’ll live with the questionable weather resistant build, the ergonomics and the lack of full size hdmi. Will get the 24 f/1.4 GM to keep it company (my first ever AF lens...)
Credit card is ready!!!
Might also pick up an A7ii for photo purposes... 

55 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its what they use in the FX9.

Like having a built in SteadXp

https://pro.sony/en_GB/insight/filmmaking-tips/pxw-fx9-tutorial-videos-video-stabilisation

This looks much better than the ZV1 version of that stabilization. The geometric corrections look much better than stabilizing in the editor too. Interesting he's recommending a 90 degree shutter and you have to turn off steadyshot. That would be something to set to a custom setting on the dial. Curious if the a7s3 will adopt shutter angle like Panasonic to make life a little easier.

Chris

I really think the direction that Sony is going, having a gyroscope and accelerometer in the camera, instead of a IBIS mechanism, is the way to go in the future.

They just have to correct for rolling shutter and start doing the stabilization internal as you shoot so no post workflow required.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

Many thanks. Looks quite impressive in the promo!!

Its another step in terms of having to process the footage but it looks like the processing times are far less onerous than with normal stabilisation plugins or apps and the results certainly look worth the effort.

12 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

This looks much better than the ZV1 version of that stabilization. The geometric corrections look much better than stabilizing in the editor too. Interesting he's recommending a 90 degree shutter and you have to turn off steadyshot. That would be something to set to a custom setting on the dial. Curious if the a7s3 will adopt shutter angle like Panasonic to make life a little easier.

Chris

Yeah, that was always the rub with the SteadXP in that you had to use a faster shutter speed.

3 hours ago, Nezza said:

Whilst clearly the S range is the video focused model, all the A7's are marketed as hybrids so should also be judged on stills capability. It is not video only.

In 2020, 12M is a compromise too far for most in a high(er) end camera like this with new tech. Existing competition that's been around a while beats it for stills resolution. To pretend otherwise gives Sony a free pass.

You're not going to see many reviews covering the photo side because it's not going to be used by many photographers. 

Simply put, the camera isn't made for you apparently. 

With all that is now said to be in it, I will be doing whatever it takes to buy this as both my still and video camera.

An A7s with top flight AF, yes please.

It may take me a year or more to be able to buy it but there is one in my future.

55 minutes ago, noone said:

With all that is now said to be in it, I will be doing whatever it takes to buy this as both my still and video camera.

An A7s with top flight AF, yes please.

It may take me a year or more to be able to buy it but there is one in my future.

The screen in that video says 10-bit 4:2:2 4k 100p, which would mean 120p for those of us in NTSC-land. If it can do it internally with no issues, this rises to the top of my list since I can shoot it alongside an a7r3 or 4 for landscape work. I have a Ninja V for external recording, but it can't do 4k120.

It also blows out a few of the rumors on SAR as false. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Chris

12 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

The screen in that video says 10-bit 4:2:2 4k 100p, which would mean 120p for those of us in NTSC-land. If it can do it internally with no issues, this rises to the top of my list since I can shoot it alongside an a7r3 or 4 for landscape work. I have a Ninja V for external recording, but it can't do 4k120.

It also blows out a few of the rumors on SAR as false. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Chris

I get the impression 120p in 4k is 8 bit internally and RAW and 10 bit is external.

Neither is anything i need so as long as it has decent 4k 25p AND proper tracking AF with a nice high res EVF and articulated screen, I am easily pleased.     IF they added a built in ND (not a chance in hell), that would ice the cake for me.     Oh and 1/16000 or even 1/32000 shutter would be nice too but not holding my breath.

Mind you, by the time I CAN afford one, the then current Kodalympus 2000 will be doing all I want in something the size of a matchbox and at only 2/3 the price.