Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Chrille said:

It's fun that the rumored specs basically exceed the specs of Sonys flagship cinema camera (venice).   

Well the Venice sensor is the a9 sensor and is a few years old now.

Also, the market is clearly changing, so they need to stay relevant, One of sony executive said they are aware of what blackmagic is offering and at what price.

And it s a different market, individuals are not supposed to own a Venice and it s not made to be used by a single operator anyway, so you pay for the fact that it s a niche product and development cost.

I think that like Panasonic, Sony recently mixed more of the Camera with the broadcast division so they can share technologies.

I know I should just wait until the 28th but y'all been keeping up with the rumors?

• - Still micro hdmi,
  • - slight crop,
  • - 10-bit up to 4K60
  • - "won't overheat for at least 1hr

How is this "exceeding expectations"? Seems like all they did was:

• - better EVF (useful, though I only use it for photos, and this body is not for photos),
  • - 4K60p 10bit,
  • - a few improved codecs.
  • - Maybe better thermal performance

Seems like catching A7S2 up to A73, 4 years later. Ok fine they finally gave it good 1080p, in 2020.

I guess we'll see on the 28th. All of the hype over the last 4 years and now this. oorah... 

On 7/17/2020 at 4:21 PM, Rinad Amir said:

Whos exited ? Am fot sure 15stops of dynamic range and 10bit  for Sony is huge.

Doesn't Sony claim all their cameras have 15 stops? At best the improvement over the current cameras will be marginal or none, just like every other new sensor they've released in the last couple years.

We'll see once actual specs are really known, but every rumor slowly lets a little wind out of the a7s3's sail. If today's rumors pan out, the comments on SAR are going to be wildly entertaining when the camera is released.

Chris

The lack of any leaks related to IBIS improvement would seem to confirm that Canon will have a noticeable lead here.  I do wonder if there is a tradeoff between heat and very good IBIS.  I also see there is no internal raw as well.

I don't think this will necessarily jump over the R5 for video.  There will be trade-offs with each body.  Sony may have an edge for pure video where IBIS is not important.  Canon may offer more for highbrid users with the greater MP or for those that have handheld video use.  Then there is also potential color differences and ease of use for editing 

If that latest batch of specs leaks is correct the A7S3 is closer to a R6 than an R5 for video.  I'm in the market for both of these cameras and I'd lean towards the R6 at this point. Early doors obvs, nothing official on the A7S3 and only early reviews on the Canon's. Good for consumers though.

From the new rumors seems that 4k 120fps is missing... so it seems (by the random rumors) that at 4k 60 fps it will have slight crop.... 

12 Mpix as hybrid is really not that great neither. 

But if it has a solid 4k up to 60fps good DR, good codec with great AF is still imo a very compelling camera but basically almost dedicated to video. 

9 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

From the new rumors seems that 4k 120fps is missing... so it seems (by the random rumors) that at 4k 60 fps it will have slight crop.... 

They didn't say it's missing. What they say is : "4K RAW output yes, but not sure if it supports 4K 120fps RAW outputand "Also, ONLY Up to 4k60 will be 10bit 4:2:2 internal" (source : Sonyalpharumors)

So maybe 4K120p is there, but not possible to output it as a RAW signal via HDMI, and also maybe it's 8bit or 10bit 4:2:0?

9 minutes ago, androidlad said:

It's a 1.1x crop from 4240-pixel wide sensor for 1:1 4K UHD readout, this crop is there from 24p all the way up to 120p.

I hope you have better intel this time than before (lex Fujifilm XT4) “Luke”. 

And if you’re so well informed, any news on IBIS and S-Cinetone?

I think we are expecting too much from camera manufacturers.  

Canon gave us 8K and 120p 4K and a crippling overheating problem.

Nikon, just updated their current cameras and left it at that.

Blackmagic have given us a 12K URSA, but not the fullframe Pocket 6K or 8K we had hoped and wished for.

And Sony will I guess give us a perfectly fine camera for 2020, but not the innovation many expected after so long.

So I guess we shall all still be debating and arguing the merits of each for the next year or so, with no clear winner in the ultimate mirrorless camera for video.

4 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

So I guess we shall all still be debating and arguing the merits of each for the next year or so, with no clear winner in the ultimate mirrorless camera for video.

So true, pick the system that fits your needs/workflow the best, and work around the warts. There's no perfect camera.

Cheers

Chris

Hmm interesting rumours keep changing on SAR web now they claim 

Source 1:

AF system is the almost the same as a7r4

The video record button is now on the top of the camera, places behind the shutter button.

4K RAW output yes, but not sure if it supports 4K 120fps RAW output. Did not try but it says it’s 16bit RAW output.

I did not have a chance to test out the RAW output because the firmware is not available, apparently Atomos is working on it to support a7sIII’s hdmi signal.

dynamic range is 15 tested by Sony, so i guess it’s ard 13-14 in real life.

Source 2:

Dials: Looking from the back panel of the camera, video dial for video mode selection left to EVF, photo dial for photo mode selection right to EVF. Exposure dial unchanged.

Screen: Touch function available when navigating the menu.

Ports: Removable port door. Two usb-c, one micro hdmi, no flash sync port.

Source 3:

Here is something unfortunate, there will be a crop on the 4K. A small one, similar to a7s2.

Also, ONLY Up to 4k60 will be 10bit 4:2:2 internal.

Source 4:

They are claiming to not have overheating issues for at least 1hr even at the highest framerate.

Source 5:

I can confirm 4k60 10 bit unlimited recording time.

I can confirm at least 180fps 1080p with full AF and sound.

Downsampled 1080p from 4K, making this the best 1080p hybrid ever made! No line skipping or pixel binning.

No internal RAW.

New codec similar to FX9.

No 6K.