Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

I want A7S III to have at least 10bit, internal raw of some sort would be great(but I guess if their FS7 and FX9 can't do it, this little one for sure cant). +240fps. 

Downside with the A7S will be the AF (with EF lenses), not a huge deal for me. But that R5 autofocus does look kinda handy. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

What a joke if true. 12mpx sensor and no quad bayer? 
I guess we will find out soon. 

if that’s the case they will loose tons of customers starting with me. A lot of people want a do it all camera for photo and video. 12mpx is not enough, so people will take the R5 or R6. 

You can always get a second body of A73 or a73r or a74r - or you might already have one if you are a Sony shooter. Sony cameras are ligth and compact. For me it doesnt sound like a big problem. I hate fiddling taking off ND filters from my video camera anyway. Ofc, even 12\48 mp Bayer sensor would be better. 

I still might go with R6 cos of the IBIS. Sony IBIS is crap for video. Doubt they will substantially improve it.  But if Sony manages to stick in built-in NDs.. than it will be a hard choice. 

Looks like a stacked 12MP sensor (could potentially be quad-bayer but unlikely stacked and quad). Same tech in A9ii just lower MP. I suspect the readout speed will be blistering with no RS problems at all.

Looks good to me. FF doesn’t need a quad-Bayer sensor anyway, unless you like to shoot only in moon light. Noise performance will most likely be more than acceptable, stellar even.

Now, the big question is bitrates and codec and IBIS. Will they have this outperform their FX-9 darling? Doubt it,

Outstanding for video, bad for stills.
It makes sense for Sony, with 12MP BSI stacked sensor is not "threatening" to the A9II and they are sticking to the formula of four different FF model lines.
A7IV A7RIV A7SIII A9II
I expect to be around A7RIV pricing, not sure if the stacked sensor means it will cost a bit more or a bit less than that, but it won't be at the A9II level.

11 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Why would you want a stacked sensor if the DR is going to take a hit. Thats the one thing the A7S has going for it(besides low light and full frame). 

Higher frame rates, lower rolling shutter
I guess the improvement in technology means that it will be clearly better DR than the A7SII despite the stacked sensor penalty.

1 hour ago, padam said:

Higher frame rates, lower rolling shutter
I guess the improvement in technology means that it will be clearly better DR than the A7SII despite the stacked sensor penalty.

Exactly. Sony does well with DR, certainly better than Canon. I don’t know anything but I doubt they are going to regress in DR performance compared to A7iii

6 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Exactly. Sony does well with DR, certainly better than Canon. I don’t know anything but I doubt they are going to regress in DR performance compared to A7iii

The A9 with stacked sensor has less DR.  If the A7Siii also has a stacked sensor then we may see a similar low DR.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sounds like a much better option than EOS R5.

Exactly my thought. For video use, it is far more interesting than eos R5 and eos R6. I personally wait for this announcement and to know if I keep my S1H or go back to Sony now that they care about pro videographers (8 bit codec even in HDMI output, come on Sony !).

It’s looking good. 
Scrumptious 4k @ 24/25/30 is all I ask (at ridiculously high iso levels). Preferably over full size (unlikely) HDMI to BMva for easy to edit Prores files. 
Plus a Hawk-Woods dummy battery so I can power it from dtap. 
But I’m expecting to also have to pay a premium for rapid AF (I only have MF lenses),  IBIS (hopefully there’s an “off” menuitem somewhere), 120fps, etc etc etc... 

12MP is enough for stills for me anyway (still using the first version as my main camera and it is my all time favourite camera).

I would also not mind if the DR is a little lower at base ISO than some others if the DR stayed higher longer as you ramp the ISO up (which is what the original does).