Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
56 minutes ago, Llaasseerr said:

It's a common myth that there is "highlight rolloff" from a sensor. It reads linear light values and hard clips at a certain point - there is no highlight compression, unlike with film negative. Highlight rolloff is a product of how much dynamic range a sensor captures combined with the filmic s-curve applied either in-camera or in post.

If you want more clarification on this, here are some links:

https://www.fie.us/2013/09/09/basic-color-science-for-cinema/

http://yedlin.net/OnColorScience/

Thank you those were good reads!

On 8/12/2020 at 12:27 PM, Trek of Joy said:

What player are you guys using for the H265 files? I can't see anything with Potplayer in Windows.

23 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

I'm aware you can match shots but most content you see from this camera is just not right. Anyway I have a Sony camera and kind of tired of always working to not make it look sickly. I was hoping this camera would be Sony's answer but it doesn't look that great either. It looks better but it still looks wrong especially indoors or with mixed lighting and any somewhat challenging outdoor shots. Almost everything from the R5 and R6 looks nice but those things are obviously broken.

Well yeah, I had the original a7s and hated its colors. Sony does a clever thing with its cheaper cameras, eventhough the specs are nice they have those blocks of missing colors that you dont notice until you grade.

A7sIII looks great though so lets see.

On 8/9/2020 at 6:25 PM, zerocool22 said:

Thats too bad, cause sony AF is already way worse then canon. 

Yeah I knew it was pretty good but wondering how it stacks up against the a7s iii. (Not sure which is the best ibis now r5 or s1, a7siii seems not that great)

On 8/11/2020 at 5:17 AM, IronFilm said:

It is always going to lag behind, because Sony crammed a FF sensor into a mount that was originally designed for APS-C

Wait till people discover the power of gyroscope stabilization that's going to be in the A7siii...

In case you haven't seen this stabilization solution, here's a video on it on the FX9 :

Coming from a french (and not so convenient) solution maybe spoken about here called the Steadxp, i have to say i'm reaaaally excited Sony put it in those cameras...

Here's a really good example of Steadxp on 100% handheld Bmpcc6k :

https://m.facebook.com/SteadXP/videos/bmpcc-4k-sigma-art-18-35-f18/647160182520352/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos

Basically, on the FX9 and A7siii you just increase the shutter speed to remove any motion blur issue after the stabilization.

It's an extra step in post (a few clicks in a Sony software) but it really is amazing...not for everyone's way of shooting though.

What i'm curious to know is what non Sony lenses will support this (Tamron ? Sigma?). And if a profile could be added in catalyst to support non Electronic lenses like vintage ones for instance (which you can do with Steadxp btw as you have to create profiles for each lenses / focals).

4 minutes ago, Clément Gabriel Jolivet said:

Wait till people discover the power of gyroscope stabilization that's going to be in the A7siii...

In case you haven't seen this stabilization solution, here's a video on it on the FX9 :

Coming from a french (and not so convenient) solution maybe spoken about here called the Steadxp, i have to say i'm reaaaally excited Sony put it in those cameras...

Here's a really good example of Steadxp on 100% handheld Bmpcc6k :

https://m.facebook.com/SteadXP/videos/bmpcc-4k-sigma-art-18-35-f18/647160182520352/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos

Basically, on the FX9 and A7siii you just increase the shutter speed to remove any motion blur issue after the stabilization.

It's an extra step in post (a few clicks in a Sony software) but it really is amazing...not for everyone's way of shooting though.

What i'm curious to know is what non Sony lenses will support this (Tamron ? Sigma?). And if a profile could be added in catalyst to support non Electronic lenses like vintage ones for instance (which you can do with Steadxp btw as you have to create profiles for each lenses / focals).

Yeah the problem with this is you need to use a different software. I dont like cutting, exporting, importing, stabilizing, exporting, importing for 100 clips.

If they would create a resolve plugin it might be a different story.

3 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah the problem with this is you need to use a different software. I dont like cutting, exporting, importing, stabilizing, exporting, importing for 100 clips.

If they would create a resolve plugin it might be a different story.

Yeah they really need this integrated in resolve and premiere. 

I’m sure with this now being in A7SIII it will be integrated into resolve and premier.

Seems like the future. Film in higher resolutions, with slightly higher shutter speeds, stabilize in post with 10% crop. Fine tune a few clips to fix the motion blur. 
Definitely  cheeper than lugging around gimbal or some crazy expensive Arri glide can contraption.

8 hours ago, Clément Gabriel Jolivet said:

I dont have a definitive answer although in this video below the guy shows working with a 'Sigma EF' lens/adapter/FX9 ....

Just checking out the DR with the bike trail footage. I used the clips showing the sun, since the sensor is clipping. This can be confirmed by looking at the waveform. Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but it seems the Resolve Clip Attributes>default data level on import is incorrect.

Maybe some others chan check this. The Auto setting is mapping to Data levels, but then the max value (the sensor clipping point in this case) seems too low. Setting it to Video levels appears to correct this. The Color Range metadata tag on the clip is full range though, so I can see why it's doing this.

The default "Full" levels max Slog3 value in the clip is 0.87106 which converts to a linear sensor clipping point of 12 when inverting the log curve. So the log max value when the sensor clips is nowhere near 1.0, and considering the Slog3 curve max linear value is 38.42, it's under utilised.

Manually setting to Video levels, the max Slog3 value in the clip is 0.94408 which is much closer to a theoretical max of 1.0 and converts to a linear sensor clipping point of 23.203 when inverting the log curve. As a comparison, the original a7s had a max linear value of 8.43214 so this is an additional 1.5 stops - not too shabby!

If I'm right, then Video levels shows a much fatter image on the waveform monitor.  I can now see the black levels looked a little milky on the default Full levels image, and there's no black level clipping occurring at Video levels which is a telltale sign that it's set incorrectly. Although the shadows are pushed down further and the image is punchier, it's not clipping. It will be good to check this against ProRes RAW clips when they start appearing.

Seems like for anyone looking to pick between this and the R5 for video, the Sony easily wins. 

As well as managing overheating, it has better DR, better lowlight, better codec options, better file sizes, better external recording, better audio, better price and more affordable lenses. 

I can see it being really beneficial for my shooting style. 2 pre-ordered.