Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

I think the colours and overall image quality is much, much improved from the previous cameras. 

Did a quick log to rec 709 and CC on a couple of shots. 

note after posting: the gamma has shifted massively with these uploads and look more magenta compared to my exports. How weird!

2.thumb.jpg.c3e9b61c0262b9c0580c61792d38233e.jpg1.thumb.jpg.9101fb3c163876d1b063e7e11bade0bb.jpg

1 hour ago, Hanriverprod said:

People keep saying it can be easily corrected but I keep seeing that zombie yellow and that clinical radioactive green everywhere unless it's that overcorrected atrocious orange and teal that's become synonymous with sony and I say this as someone who has one of their cameras.

With any 10-bit camera (if you know what you are doing) you should have plenty of latitude to create just about any color scheme you want. All it takes is someone who knows what they are doing to create a LUT that matches the color you are hoping to achieve. I have to stress however that it takes someone who knows what they are doing. There is no doubt that straight out of the camera, skin colors do not have the magenta that Canon has that people have a tendency to like. It certainly is achievable however.

What I've mostly seen online so far with the A7SIII is mostly straight-out-of-camera looks. Gerald Undone has a new video up today that explains what most people do with their log footage. They attempt to add saturation and contrast and they think that's good enough. Well...it's not good enough.

Yes, I don’t get all these color purists.

We aren’t shooting 8-bit h264 anymore.

Once you go above 8-bit color codec, excluding doing crazy color changes, you can pretty much match any camera you want with any other camera within a certain margin of error.

Lets not forget of course that our eyes perceive color totally differently! Even further, individuals color “pleasing-ness” is such a deep rabbit hole as to make it impossible to say any camera has “the best color.”

That leaves DR, highlight roll of, compression artifacts, and the mystical motion cadence as the biggest differentiators. You can tweak the highlight roll off a tiny bit, but not much. That is mostly down to how good the sensor is, ie 16-bit linear off an ARRI versus 12-bit or 14-bit log off of something like this A7Siii.

And finally, if it’s not your job to get the best image you can on a multi-tens of millions of dollars movie and you are focusing so much on the colors out of your camera...you are optimizing the wrong thing my friend.

Are people delusional here? Every thing in reality has its own particular qualities and no matter how much people want to believe they can bend it to their will you cannot change the intrinsic value of the thing itself. A sony is a sony. You get great tech for its image quality unique to whatever makes it sony. Some like it some dont. Just deal with it. 

21 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Are people delusional here? Every thing in reality has its own particular qualities and no matter how much people want to believe they can bend it to their will you cannot change the intrinsic value of the thing itself. A sony is a sony. You get great tech for its image quality unique to whatever makes it sony. Some like it some dont. Just deal with it. 

Please inform these people immediately. They have been wasting their time!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Color_Encoding_System

1 hour ago, Stathman said:

My setup is struggling with the 100fps XAVC HS files.

Does anyone experiencing smooth playback?

I'm on a mac. Tried them on Premiere and Resolve Studio, latest versions.

Using Resolve studio here.

Once I turned then into 25fps they playback real-time on my PC.

Trying to playback at 100fps it dropped frames. But in a 25 or 24 timeline it worked. Time stretched or normal, works really fine.

My setup is a Ryzen 1600 with a Radeon Rx570 4gb, 32gb ram. Very similar to some Macs.

My system struggles with the Canon R5 h265, 100% CPU usage dropping frames, but not the Sony ones, 40-50% CPU. Even turning the R5 files into 24-25fps doesn't make any difference. 

But the Sony XAVC-I performed really close to prores, 25% CPU, and that is a great point for the A7s 3.