Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

10 hours ago, herein2020 said:

My CPU stayed at 70% and the GPU was only around 15% so I think its like they are saying, H.265 out of the R5 is only decoded in the CPU so my video card is useless for this footage.  Canon botched this one in every way imaginable. The funny thing is, right when I start questioning my sanity for still hoping they find a fix for the R5 and R6 I color graded the sample footage and it looked incredible. Obviously it was only a tiny sample in simple outdoor well lit lighting conditions but the skin tones looked incredible and it took me two seconds to grade it; my GH5 with the exact same shot would never have looked that good.

Yes, these EOS R5 footage looks incredible.
I only use the ACES CLog conversion, no grading at all, and already looks fantastic.

EOS_R5_Aces_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.72f303dd087ee0fa3a727e679be26168.jpg

Really wish someone upload some nice footage from the A7s 3 like that one, so we can play with it.
And hope that Canon come up with something that doesn't take 5 years to do.
At least sony throw their best codecs into a mirrorless.

But for now I will keep my pocket 4k.
Its not full frame but colors and codecs are really nice to work with.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, luizhmgoncalves said:

I only use the ACES CLog conversion, no grading at all, and already looks fantastic.

Really wish someone upload some nice footage from the A7s 3 like that one, so we can play with it.

Yeah besides overheating thats the mainproblem with the R5 and A7S III, the ump braw 12K clips even edit easier then 4k h265 clips. I want a hybrid though, otherwise I would have stuck to bm or zcam. 

2 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

That's the problem of listening to youtuber doing 15 minutes test of gear they don't know. On normal picture profile Nikon did a lot of sharpening that you can dial down. On the flat profile it is already down on default sharpness. Nikon is doing a full sensor readout, no crop, that is 6k from all the pixel on the z6, which gives you very good 4k video. Only in RAW output that it skips pixel to achieve 4k from its 6k sensor.

Yup. Z6 has an insanely high and accurate level of detail if you turn off sharpening. Like you said, it's people that don't know how to use the camera doing the tests. 

7 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah besides overheating thats the mainproblem with the R5 and A7S III, the ump braw 12K clips even edit easier then 4k h265 clips. I want a hybrid though, otherwise I would have stuck to bm or zcam. 

It would be great if Sony, Canon, Nikon and Panasonic made a deal with Blackmagic to use BRAW.  Not only would it send a message to Red and make them think about their exclusive rights to their RAW, but would offer anyone buying those cameras a brilliant and flexible codec to work with.   

I was creating a drone footage video recently and the H264 and H265 were so slow to get through.  I use to work with this codec all the time, but it feels frustrating now after working with BRAW; it puts me off any other brand who are sticking to it.

It stills easier to work with H264 and 5 in Resolve though.  Premiere it was a nightmare.  100 clips and I would leave it for 15 mins as it rendered the thumbnails.  Thank God those days are over.

2 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Does AMD radeon do decode h2.65. I know apple uses AMD radeon GPU.

There is no one version of H.265. Like H.264 there are many, many different adjustable internal parameters. AMD's GPUs have bundled on them totally separate hardware called UVD/VCE which is similar to nVidia's NVDEC/NVENC. Over the years there have been multiple versions of *each* of those, just like Quick Sync has had multiple versions. Each version of each hardware accelerator has varying features and capability on varying flavors of H.264 and later H.265. 

Even if a particular version of a hardware video accelerator works on a certain flavor of one codec, this is not automatic. Both application and system layer software must use development frameworks (often provided by the h/w vendor) to harness that support and provide it in the app. 

You can easily have a case where h/w acceleration support has existed for years and a certain app just doesn't use it. That was the case with Premiere Pro for years which did not use Intel's Quick Sync. There are some cases now where DaVinci Resolve supports some accelerators for some codec flavors which FCPX does not.

There is also a difference between the decode side and encode side. It is common on many platforms that 10-bit HEVC decoding is hardware accelerated for some codec variants but not 10-bit HEVC *encoding*. It is a complex. bewildering, multi-dimensional matrix of hardware versions, software versions, codec versions, sprinkled with bugs, limitations and poor documentation.

In general Intel's Quick Sync has been more widely supported because it is not dependent on a specific brand or version of the video acceleration logic bundled on a certain GPU. However Xeon does not have Quick Sync so workstation-class machines must use the accelerator on GPUs or else create their own. That is what Apple did with their iMac Pro and new Mac Pro - they integrated that acceleration logic into their T2 chip.

Not to stir things up, but is the overheating an issue with the a7siii as well? I’ve seen some issues people had. Is this just marketing that everyone bashes Canon but not Sony? I don’t own either and don’t plan to, but just curious why everyone got hell bent on destroying Canon but it doesn’t seem to be discussed with Sony. Or is it not an issue with Sony? 

https://youtu.be/tgcp8wXAUZY

26 minutes ago, jonathangrijalva810 said:

Not to stir things up, but is the overheating an issue with the a7siii as well? I’ve seen some issues people had. Is this just marketing that everyone bashes Canon but not Sony? I don’t own either and don’t plan to, but just curious why everyone got hell bent on destroying Canon but it doesn’t seem to be discussed with Sony. Or is it not an issue with Sony? 

https://youtu.be/tgcp8wXAUZY

Overheating with Sony is not new, much of their tech has been plagued by it, especially on release.  We need more tests to confirm the extent of the issue.  

What we need confirmed is the recovery times, and any further limits afterwards and if the over heating can be caused by taking photos or simply having the camera left on. That was the key thing with Canon.  

2 hours ago, luizhmgoncalves said:

Not fair.......lol

15 minutes ago, Ashit Tandon said:

To be fair, Matt praised the camera and made one statement that made me jump out of my seat. He said that the colors on this bad boy were actually better (not as good but better) than the canon colors

And other people say it’s total trash still.

Only thing it tells us for sure is it’s all subjective!

People who think the image out of the A7SIII, a $3500 mirrorless camera, isn’t very good or the skin tones are off are nitpicking the shit out of it. I feel sorry for you people. You will never be happy.

Put everything in context. This is a fantastic release from Sony. They improved almost everything from the A7SII and kept the spirit of the A7S camera intact.