Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

56 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

So Dan retest it again for overheating, now people say he must have faulty unit, yeah definitely free pass to Sony on overheating.

overheating junk. good for youtubers. but no professional will buy tool that overheats. Reliability is number ONE. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, noone said:

So what have we learnt?   Seems to me the Canon WILL probably over heat due to internal camera generated heat and outside temp may not make much difference at all.

The Sony will overheat quicker when the outside temp is high enough to make a difference but might not at all otherwise.

That makes me even more sure that Tilta thing would actually work BETTER on the Sony than the Canon.

I stand to be corrected!

Guess we are all still looking for this (even if only for down the track).

DSC06043.jpg

I believe Tilta is the workaround all of us are looking for.

5 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

This is so depressing. 

People should never, ever buy a camera that needs some kind of third party cooling solution. Don't reward companies that put out camera

Yes the tilta cooler is beyond ridiculous. Buy a sports car but then you need to cut a whole in the bonnet for a fan to drive it more than 20 miles down the road. Stupid. 

Still, if you NEED a solution then may as well try.

While I think the Tilta would maybe work better on the Sony than the Canon, it would probably not be often needed on the Sony but the Canon might need it even in winter.

5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

He loved the C300 and literally released a video saying it was his favorite camera. 

3 weeks later he received a camera to try out that he preferred and instead placed an order for 3 of them. 

Not everything is a conspiracy. It's okay to disagree with his conclusions, but let's be real. 

Typical bait & switch salesman tactic. Oldest trick in the book.

Listen, I’m no conspiracist. But you people are so naive.

Gerald isn’t your friend. He’s running a business. A YouTube gear review business.

I wanna be there when his three A7S3s brick out on assignment in the field. But oh wait, that’s not his concern, he’s not a filmmaker, he’s a YouTube lab tester. Never leaves his temp controlled studio.

Basically the vidéo gear equivalent of Unbox Therapy. Good, we need people like them testing gear. But take their clickbait catch phrases with a grain of salt.

C300 MK3 review: « This is going to be my new daily driver. »

A7S3 review week later: « This is going to be my new daily driver. » Tweet: « Here is proof, I’m buying 3! »

..and hence the hype train carries on around the blogosphere/forums and sponsored links bring in the revenue.

Perfect technical masterpiece my a**.

By the way, I’m saying all this as a Sony user interested in the A7S3.

I won’t however give it a free pass in the overheat department, nor will I let Gerald off the hook for not taking his review unit outside and tweeting folks to ignore other people’s  overheat testings.

End rant.

Does anyone have a link for a right-out-of-the-camera slog2 or slog3 video file that contains skintones? I would like to test some arri-emulation luts on it, that used to work with the older slog versions, but I need to make sure they still work well before I decide to purchase or not this camera.

Panasonic are the only company that respects its users and is able to engineer a properly working product for professionals. 

Regarding Gerald, what rational working professional would order a c300 mkiii and then cancel that order and get a a7siii a week later (knowing that when he bought the c300 mkiii the a7siii was coming in the not too distant future). This is someone I should take my advice from lol?

1 minute ago, Yurolov said:

Panasonic are the only company that respects its users and is able to engineer a properly working product for professionals. 

Regarding Gerald, what rational working professional would order a c300 mkiii and then cancel that order and get a a7siii a week later (knowing that when he bought the c300 mkiii the a7siii was coming in the not too distant future). This is someone I should take my advice from lol?

Someone who has money to spend

The guy needs to just stick to the facts, cut the sales pitch.

It’s like Behiri apologizing in his R6 review to his fake docu subjects. Cmon you knew the camera was going to overheat. You even had the ice packs ready. Just give us the facts and leave the narrative drama at home FFS..

11 minutes ago, Django said:

The guy needs to just stick to the facts, cut the sales pitch.

It’s like Behiri apologizing in his R6 review to his fake docu subjects. Cmon you knew the camera was going to overheat. You even had the ice packs ready. Just give us the facts and leave the narrative drama at home FFS..

Its just the nature of media 

36 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

This is so depressing. 

People should never, ever buy a camera that needs some kind of third party cooling solution. Don't reward companies that put out cameras like that. 

I don't mind. I don't give a damn for morals on this. I am filmmaker. I don't care about companies. Camera brands ain't none of my business. My club is the art. The result from camera. Not the goddamn brand. Who cares?

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Yes the tilta cooler is beyond ridiculous. Buy a sports car but then you need to cut a whole in the bonnet for a fan to drive it more than 20 miles down the road. Stupid. 

What do you know about this product? Can you call it stupid? Can you? Did you test it? 😇

People don't understand the concept. Starting to wonder about what they don't know. Tilta cooler will let the temperature under control. You don't reach the limit. You can restart to press the record button again.

It shouldn't let continuous recording but continuous operation. If efficient to avoid the overheating. Let's just hope they launch one for A7SIII too.

TEC are extremely inefficient in cooling. 10-15% efficient compared to compressor based cooling (ac, refrigerators). There is a reason this shit isn’t used to cool technology in PC for example.

So say it does help with overheating. You need a battery to power it and big one at that.

Its the law of thermodynamics. No way around it sorry to say.

But go ahead. But the R5. Strap this cooler on the back and shoot away and see if you like taking your slick $4000 camera and turning it into so piece of junk Frankenstein machine. 

The fact that these cameras need a third party cooler to perform reliably only proves their design is limited in the first place.  People complained about rigging up a Pocket 4k to make it work, and yet this camera is considerably cheaper than these models and the lack of IBIS and flip screen meant it was never a run n gun camera in the first place.  How will rigging up the A7s or R5 affect handheld use?

It'll be intereting to see if this tilta cooler does make a significant difference to overheating.  Though to be honest, I feel we still don't know enough about the actual extent of the overheating issues in either Canon or Sony, and won't until users buy and work with them in real World cases as opposed to vloggers (biased or otherwise) testing them.  

I was hoping to pick up the R6 one day to replace my GH5, but Canon's whole release has felt like a fiasco.  Sony A7s iii seems nice on paper, but the fact that its photos have less resolution than stills from a Pocket 6K undermines my requirements for a hybrid camera in the first place.  

Potato Jet's comparison to the FX9 was very interesting. 

He found the FX9 at max iso (12,800) with exposure brought up in post to match 64,000 iso was a better image than the A7s3 64,000 ISO. It had more detail and he said it was cleaner. I am sure this is at least partly due to the noise reduction on the A7. Pretty disappointing that Sony won't allow NR to be disabled. Very over looked thing on Sony's cameras.