Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

25 minutes ago, Laurier said:

Because people using a Venice, FX9, C500 Mk II, C300 Mk II usually know what they are doing 😛 .

A lot of youtubers have to clue of how to handle footage, the Highlights are clipping hard on a lot of videos and that not pleasing, but I blame the user, not the camera.

I shoot all those on a A7rii/A7iii and you can get the skin to look nice , it a bit more work than blackmagic but it s possible and that was all on 8 bits codecs internal ( except the anamorphic one), So I m confidant that you can do even better with 10 bits 4.2.2

Sincerely I don't like the skin tone at all, its again that greenish tint which feels dead, in some motion cadence was .... I don't know if it is your footage or not and in no way wants to be disrespectful.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Dans overheated. Kai’s overheated in direct sun. Gerald said he didn’t have a problem. Tony said he couldn’t get it to overheat. B&H used it in direct sun and didn’t have a problem. Potato Jet recorded 40 mins in a room. Put it in a 104 degree oven and it lasted 13 minutes directly after the 40.

So we have wildly different temperature results.

R5/6 seem to overheat more consistently problem is it’s consistently worse with a huge recover time so bad you might as well try again tomorrow.

Sure, Kai’s overheated in direct sun at 37c but after 2.5 hours running 4k60p!

14 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Which is a good result. So what made Dan Watson test give different results?

Dan goes into it in the comments.

He mentions he had problems with selecting the "High" setting on temperature setting on the A7sIII and then using it. Mentions he reached out to Sony to see if maybe it was a problem with his unit.

We really need more tests and for people to be clear about what settings and if the test is from a cold start.

I love how the URSA 12k is released and everyone gets mad because "who asked for this?" and "12k is overkill when all you will ever need is 4k". So Sony releases the A7siii. It only shoots 4K, it fixes the major issues that plagued it's camera, invested in better, not more pixels. Practically eliminates rolling shutter, adds 10 bit h.265 as well as 16 bit raw output and can shoot in full resolution up to 120p and SOMEHOW everyone is saying "this isn't enough" or "I was expecting more". 

You aren't filmmakers, you're hobbyists!

This is not a professional tool. I'm sorry, but if it overheats then it cannot be used in a professional setting. Will be fine for youtubers and people doing stuff for personal hobby and such. But not a serious paid professional. 

The amount of hypocrisy in this forum is bewildering. Everyone giving it a pass left and right. Yes, it matters if it overheats only in direct sun lol. If I am shooting anywhere outside there is a good chance I will be in the direct sun, unless I confine myself to shade. 

30 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

This is not a professional tool. I'm sorry, but if it overheats then it cannot be used in a professional setting. Will be fine for youtubers and people doing stuff for personal hobby and such. But not a serious paid professional. 

The amount of hypocrisy in this forum is bewildering. Everyone giving it a pass left and right. Yes, it matters if it overheats only in direct sun lol. If I am shooting anywhere outside there is a good chance I will be in the direct sun, unless I confine myself to shade. 

Nah bro, the difference is this camera is no different than Sony's other offerings in terms of overheating. In fact it sounds like it handles overheating better than their previous offerings. If you recall no one complained about the Fuji overheating in direct sun. That is because the issue isn't the Canon overheating its that it overheats abnormal conditions. It overheats just from taking stills??!!?? wtf

Sure I wish Sony would have found a way to just eliminate overheating altogether but it at least sounds manageable. Never had an issue with my Fuji XT3 even though it will overheat in direct sun especially at 4k 60p. 

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, McSaint said:

I love how the URSA 12k is released and everyone gets mad because "who asked for this?" and "12k is overkill when all you will ever need is 4k". So Sony releases the A7siii. It only shoots 4K, it fixes the major issues that plagued it's camera, invested in better, not more pixels. Practically eliminates rolling shutter, adds 10 bit h.265 as well as 16 bit raw output and can shoot in full resolution up to 120p and SOMEHOW everyone is saying "this isn't enough" or "I was expecting more". 

You aren't filmmakers, you're hobbyists!

It's simple enough to explain.

Most people don't need 12K and they will express their opinion. What's wrong with that? Doesn't make them "not a filmmaker".

Many feel that the specs of the EOS R5 are perfect for them on paper, and had expected more from Sony - the basics, like matching Canon and Panasonic for IBIS performance (it doesn't), like finally getting an internal eND like the FS5 does (it doesn't), so people are entitled to their whinging!

There is a lot to like as well but I am sticking with GFX 100 for my main camera.

If I get the A7S III it will be to review it, test it, maybe optimise Pro Color for it and to make some LUTs. I can't see myself ditching the GFX 100 for one.

The EOS R5 meanwhile, is basically defective and should be recalled so none of the great things about it are really all that usable.

I think people are right to be angry.

On top of it all, it's been a really shit year in general!

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Not really as I don't think the Canon is usable under any circumstance if its overheating in an air conditioned building indoors and takes 2 hours to cool down. 

Its not a new thing for Sony though, the A73 would overheat quickly outdoors in direct sun. In that crazy Flordia sunlight camera test I think the A73 lasted 5 minutes lol. Most situations don't call for your camera being left to bake in the sun though. 

Not even being able to record video after a 1 hour stills session is what the Canon is offering. I don't think the Canon received the scrutiny it did for overheating while baking in the sun. 

canontime.jpg

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Dans overheated. Kai’s overheated in direct sun. Gerald said he didn’t have a problem. Tony said he couldn’t get it to overheat. B&H used it in direct sun and didn’t have a problem. Potato Jet recorded 40 mins in a room. Put it in a 104 degree oven and it lasted 13 minutes directly after the 40.

So we have wildly different temperature results.

R5/6 seem to overheat more consistently problem is it’s consistently worse with a huge recover time so bad you might as well try again tomorrow.

The Sony has an overheating cut off setting which is normal by default but can be set to high. Probably explains the different overheating results to some extent.

1 hour ago, Yurolov said:

I do not think anybody is giving it a blanket pass.

Just something very different to the Canon.

It isn't they overheat as ANY small camera that uses that much power with those sensor sizes and does not have an active cooling system will have a point it overheats.

The issue with the Canon is once it overheats it seems to stay over heated for longer than is good and that even shooting stills reduces shooting time.

If all you DO need with the Sony is an umbrella or anything just to keep it out of direct sun for external heat, that is fine in my book and Sony seems to deal with the internal heat build up better between these two. 

To me, it is as if comparing a litre of boiling water in a thermos (Canon) VS a litre of boiling water in a glass bottle (Sony).     After an hour the thermos is still going to have hot water, the glass bottle will be room temp.

Take the two out into direct sun after that hour and the water in the glass will get warmer while the water in the thermos will still be the same...now if you apply another heat source internally (while leaving them in direct sun), the water in both will get hotter and the glass   will also have the effect of the sun added to the internal heat. ...but the glass will cool down again quicker too again.

8 minutes ago, noone said:

If all you DO need is an umbrella or anything just to keep it out of direct sun for external heat, that is fine in my book

Good luck with the umbrella tied to your back doing run and gun on the streets, police probably will think you are crazy and do not ask you for the permissions, nice strategy.

The fact that it overheats in 24p outside makes it a deal breaker for most professionals. In the aussie sun I imagine even more so haha. Thats all I am saying. It might be a technical limitation with passive cooling, but it still doesnt excuse it. But for a personal camera, this is the best there is in terms of vlogging, travel videos, youtube. Even events work this will be very good. But if I am a working professional and need a small form factor I need it to be reliable above all, which is where the s1h comes into it. Plus it is missing some key professional features like exposure tools and DCI among others. 

2 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Good luck with the umbrella tied to your back doing run and gun on the streets, police probably will think you are crazy and do not ask you for the permissions, nice strategy.

But I AM crazy so I doubt anyone is gunna bat an eyelid.

If it turns out it is a limiting thing in a lot of cases we will know soon enough.      I just do not think it will be all that much of a problem (even in a place like here that has many days in December/January/February over 38 degrees C or 100 F) while the Canon it seems WILL be a problem a lot of the time for many. even below that..

I could be very wrong and they both might suck for pro use more than they should.

14 minutes ago, Super8 said:

It was actually showing recovery times.  

Yep. The downsampled 4k at 24 and 30p is only a one time 30 minute record limit. Assuming that means you can't just hit record again after. 

Someone will probably come up with a conspiracy theory that Sony is paying all reviewers to hate on Canon while sending unlimited praise to their camera. 

When I first heard about the overheating I was fine with it. Its pretty normal across the board at this point. I thought 8k really isn't needed much most people will be using 4k regardless. But it just gets worse and worse. 2 hour waits to cool down, overheating in an air conditioned room. Overheating just from shooting stills, not even recording any video?

I am sure these limitations will work for some people but definitely not for me. 

One thing I find interesting.

It seems this is the first Sony stills camera that can shoot 16 bit RAW photos.

Not sure it will make a huge difference (if any).

I often just shoot jpegs with my (first version) A7s as they are to my mind, quite similar to straight processed RAW and Jpeg and video lets me use clearzoom but if it DID make a big difference, that is something worth noting.