Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Oh well, most of the low light stuff looks like paint brush. I can do the same with my S1H, just apply insane amounts of Neat Video Temporal NR on it...

Most people don't seem to care, so it's ok I guess?

48 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

What a waste of space hahahaha

Looked at it again, in fact no as much as a waste because was able to look at colors and skintones, not very impressed.

well, it looks as bad as the other S1H ProRes videos I've seen.
Always super harsh with a terrible roll-off and low dynamic range for whatever reason.

It’s amazing what YouTube Compression does to videos. That water would have been turned into seizure inducing mush. 

Also, It seems people just like to be mad about gear. I’m guilty of it as well. But lots of A7SIII footage looks good. Certainly better than what we had before in mirrorless form. A7SIII will be another watershed moment for Sony. Seems like they fixed a lot of things that received feedback on. This should be commended. 

3 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

It’s amazing what YouTube Compression does to videos. That water would have been turned into seizure inducing mush. 

Downloaded the original 188Mbit H265 file on Vimeo in case you meant me. 😉

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

He makes long form content where he stand sin from of the camera for hours. So he must feel confident in its overheating performance in a studio.

Are you talking about his You Tube video content?  Why would he need the A7S3 or R5 for that content? or the C300II ?

While Bloom says he was paid by Sony to make the two videos  linked in this thread I still think he is happy to give warts and all.

He had it for a while and that he says "This is a FANTASTIC camera, the image is stunning, it is a joy to use and I have done very extensive overheating tests (again in my review) that will impress the crap out of you!"   pretty much puts to bed an issue on overheating as an issue for me (though of course want to see the tests).

This is MY camera (in 2021 or 2022 more likely unless I find a couple of grand in the couch).

2 hours ago, Super8 said:

Except for Canon I think Sony and Nikon have really good cameras coming out.  

My best take is Nikon gives us 4K120p out at a higher quality than the A7s3 and better 4K60 internal also. 

I think the dual processors will take the load off the sensor and I don't think Nikon will have heat issues.   Nikon will use HDMI to the Atomos when it's needed.   The Nikon workflow out to the Atomos and I'm fine with that if they give better quality and more options with external recording.

As much as I love Z6 and have hopes Z6s brings certain improvements, it's going to use same sensor, which means 12 bit ADC. Which gives 12 stops of DR more or less. While mostly this is ok for me, Sony's 16bit output could bring 1-2 additional real stops which is tempting. Hate to say this as I never like Sony cameras. Well, up to now...

3 minutes ago, Zeng said:

As much as I love Z6 and have hopes Z6s brings certain improvements, it's going to use same sensor, which means 12 bit ADC. Which gives 12 stops of DR more or less. While mostly this is ok for me, Sony's 16bit output could bring 1-2 additional real stops which is tempting. Hate to say this as I never like Sony cameras. Well, up to now...

Pretty sure it uses a 12 bit adc mode for video, too.
Dynamic range seems to be the same as the S1H.

6 minutes ago, Zeng said:

Do we know it's the same sensors as the Z6 ?  I would think they would have anew "Sony" sensor to work with.

6 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Do we know it's the same sensors as the Z6 ?  I would think they would have anew "Sony" sensor to work with.

All the rumours have been pointing to the Z6S using the same sensor as the Z6, with with an extra Expeed processor, a second XQD slot (probably with CFExpress support out of the box this time), and maybe one or two other design tweaks.

51 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Are you talking about his You Tube video content?  Why would he need the A7S3 or R5 for that content? or the C300II ?

Because he's not just shooting for YouTube but his own/client projects and wants to standardise on one platform for workflow reasons. Not that difficult.