Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

The RS seems better on the R5 that is crazy but I think it was tested in 60fps but I'm not sure....

It think it s on the 60fps too, but that line skipped so you get more moiree issues and potentially a less detailed image , it s the same thing on my A7rii, the readout is faster in full frame, but IQ is lower than super 35.

So far from what I saw:

4k <= 30fps details:                                       R5

4k > 30fps details:                                         A7S

DR:                                                                     ?

RS:                                                                     R5 but to be confirmed in which modes.

Photo:                                                               R5

Thermal:                                                           A7S but seems an issue here too.

Card max size:                                                 R5

Dual card recording:                                     A7S

10bit 4:2:0 NLE HW accelerated:               A7S (to be confirmed by test)

RAW                                                                  R5

Lowlight                                                           A7S

120p with audio                                             A7S

Colors                                                               R5 (still to be compared)

AF                                                                       ?

Super35                                                            R5

Audio                                                                 A7S with the adapter

HDMI                                                                 A7S

Battery                                                              ?

IBIS                                                                    R5

Ugliest menu color😊                                  A7S

These two cameras they should have a baby and then it would be the one 😊

Neither the R5, R6 or A7s seem to have really knocked the S1H from being a top hybrid camera for primary video shooters.  Yes, 60p is cropped on the S1H, but uncroppped 60p 4K seems to have some overheating issues also with the A7s.  Though the key thing to known will be recovery time.  Canon seems quite severe by all account. 

I look forward to hearing real World use rather than tests done by vloggers.  Its a shame Panasonic haven't mastered AF.  I feel we are all still waiting for that perfect hybrid camera that can balance reliability with functionality.

2 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Neither the R5, R6 or A7s seem to have really knocked the S1H from being a top hybrid camera for primary video shooters.  Yes, 60p is cropped on the S1H, but uncroppped 60p 4K seems to have some overheating issues also with the A7s.  Though the key thing to known will be recovery time.  Canon seems quite severe by all account. 

The S1h is tops, unless you need AF, that's why I'm not shooting with the Panasonic. I'm almost 100% sure I'm going with the a7s3 over the Canon's after watching all the reviews posted here. The insane amount of time it takes the R5 to cool off is a huge concern. I don't want to be frozen out of the video modes and forced to use the lower quality or no 60/120p because the sun is out and its hot. The fact that shooting stills generates enough heat to hit the thermal issues in the R5 also gives me serious pause. Every review I've seen outside of Dan Watson's has the s3 recording much longer, including not overheating indoors at all which the R5 still did for most. The R6 is even worse. 

But everyone's needs are different. Cheers

Chris

12 minutes ago, ryne275 said:

Max confirms A73 4K is sharper, more detailed right here in his video: 

Gerald Undone came to the opposite conclusion. Either way, both look really good, but I'll take 10-bit over 8-bit any day. Plus his DR test showed over a stop more than the a73.

1 hour ago, Nezza said:

I've not watched this yet. But I'd give it your full attention if you're interested. He's ordered one for himself.

Excellent first review.

He noticed that it does indeed have 15.1 stops at 1 SNR and about 13 stops at 2 SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio). Also his tests seem more convincing that C5D.

He also tested the rolling shutter and it seems way lesser than the A7iii. 

I noticed that there doesn't appear to be any DCI 4k modes and everything is QHD only. Not that it's terrible or anything, but just it out there. 

Sony had advertised the Ambient Shooting Temperature as 25° where it records at 4k 24p 10-bit for 1 hour or until the battery runs out. Sony, unlike Canon have been generous since almost no reviewer said it overheated and wasn't usable after that. One said it overheated but after an hour or so. And then he got another take after that. And he didn't have to use a blower or ice or fridge.

He also noticed that the camera seems to have Dual ISO at ISO640 and ....   ....   ... ISO16000. Which is INSANE. Which means that at super high ISO upto 51200, it should clean as a whistle.

I am actually looking forward to his Dynamic Range Tests. Which seem very interesting. 

Screenshot_20200728-210707_YouTube.jpg

2 hours ago, Super8 said:

I actually think Nikon has the advantage of making the Z6s sit between the R5 and A7SIII.  

It also seems like RAW externally over HDMI was a thermal issues as much as a rights issue.   I don't see anything in the A7SIII that the Z6s can't do. 

I sincerely hope that we will get internal 10 bit and log. What is a given is that we are getting dual card slot and 4k 60 fps. It would be a dream to get 120 fps, even if it is time limited 1 to 5 mins or even cropped. What would also set it apart would be to just give the full 6k raw out of the sensor even only in up to 30 fps mode. But with the dual expeed processor they are putting how much thermals will limit the camera.

2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I'm not complaining at all. I said it was a solid release. But if you don't think these features will be matched, if not beaten, in the next year or so, I'm not sure what to tell you.

And until Atomos comes out with an affordable recorder that can record it, hardly anyone is going to be able to use 16 bit RAW, and frankly most folks don't need 16 bit RAW.

Not everything has to be viewed as super positive, or super negative. This is a fine release, but talk of it "Crushing" this camera or that camera is silly. 

Low light has barely progressed during the last 5 years. Show me big progress like 1-2 stop the last 5 years for same sensor size or photo-sites? and I mean in RAW and not processing power that use noise reduction.

12 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

I sincerely hope that we will get internal 10 bit and log. What is a given is that we are getting dual card slot and 4k 60 fps. It would be a dream to get 120 fps, even if it is time limited 1 to 5 mins or even cropped. What would also set it apart would be to just give the full 6k raw out of the sensor even only in up to 30 fps mode. But with the dual expeed processor they are putting how much thermals will limit the camera.

Except for Canon I think Sony and Nikon have really good cameras coming out.  

My best take is Nikon gives us 4K120p out at a higher quality than the A7s3 and better 4K60 internal also. 

I think the dual processors will take the load off the sensor and I don't think Nikon will have heat issues.   Nikon will use HDMI to the Atomos when it's needed.   The Nikon workflow out to the Atomos and I'm fine with that if they give better quality and more options with external recording.