Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Don't think he said redesign did he?... More like 'Everything is new compared to the 5 year old camera'. So obviously a new sensor, LSI, EVF and so on.

I'll be very pleasantly surprised if they do a design adventure.

Change the concept around.

Internal ND.

Small XC10 style camera.

Brand new menus.

But to be honest, despite the lack of adventures and bravery in new design concepts, I am quite happy with mirrorless form factor as it is. Hybrid stills / video is my thing.

PS I cannot promise to review the A7S III or even EOS R5, because I will have to buy them and I think rather than putting $4k into another corporation's bank account we should reward innovation at better prices, from Fuji, Sigma, Panasonic and others.

Canon and Sony have practically ignored us for 5 years and now suddenly they want our money again.

Bear this in mind when you see all the stage-managed YouTube hype next month about 8K and RAW.

"Right now we’re focused on the launch of the new camera, and it will be a complete redesign of the whole system, including the image sensor. Everything is new." 

I took redesign to mean they have redesigned the camera. I might've read too much into that though!

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I expect the A7S III to handily outperform the EOS R5 and EOS R6 for video.

10K Quad Bayer sensor (60 megapixel, 8K RAW, 4K Quad Bayer readout, no crop, good rolling shutter due to fast sensor architecture and multiple readout channels, a typical Sony strength)

Whereas EOS R5 is traditional bayer, lower megapixel count and likely high rolling shutter.

Also I can see on the codec side the Sony maybe doing something interesting with H.265 compressed RAW.

I think right now if I were to only choose one flagship it would be the Sony.

Doesn't mean I am going to bite the specs hype bullet though.

EOSHD during both these launches will be an ANTI-hype machine :)

Unless it is warranted and they put out a genuine marvel which is both practical to use not just with some dazzling high numbers on the box.

I can see the A7S III, A7SH or A7H or whatever they will call it being the new flagship for stills above the A7R IV as well.

There was a reason the A7R III and IV were just incremental evolutions.

I agree reluctantly.   I want Canon's R5 to be better.  

If that 10K Quad Bayer sensor can match Sony cine camera cadence then it's game on. 

If this is a new body redesign ("it will be a complete redesign of the whole system, including the image sensor. Everything is new. ") then this means Sony will but the new A9 and lower models off this body.

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

But how does that help Sony with their H.265 compressed RAW?

You just have to appreciate how patents and technology transfers work

Sony could be supplying for example the RED Komodo sensor. I am not saying they are, but if they are then RED obviously can pay for it in hard cash or they can offer to license the internal compressed RAW patent to Sony for certain products.

If Sony were not asleep during RED's conception they may have patented internal compressed wavelet RAW themselves and perhaps be a lot richer.

Innovation always pays!

Before too many people get overly hyped on the redesign, consider that they introduce a new lens mount.... then you would have to buy all new glass! 

Either way, it's cool to see new tech coming out, but it's unbelievable how excited people get about 8k. This to me is pointless. I have the S1h and am soooo happy with it, because it has all the functions you need for video. Like for real. It makes everything so seamless and smooth when shooting. I think if camera companies want to really entice videographers, focus more on really important features like more dynamic range, better tools for exposing correctly (waveform/false colors), better button customization, and so on. But no, these companies really just seem to focus on resolution and people eat it up. Remember how much you want that 8k raw when you buy your C-fast cards.... whoa boyyy that's a lot of storage you'll need, and C-fast cards aren't cheap! I think 2020 will be a great year for tech, and I'm looking forward to seeing the footage from both of these cameras regardless. Thanks for the info! 

3 hours ago, Jonathan Grijalva said:

I have the S1h and am soooo happy with it, because it has all the functions you need for video.

Except for AF.....lol.

But no, these companies really just seem to focus on resolution and people eat it up.

But seriously, you jumped on the 6K bandwagon. 

About the redesign, Tanaka said this at last year's CP+: 

"Many people have enjoyed the a7S II as a video camera, but originally we designed it for stills photography users. So if we’re going to create products [specifically] for video shooters, we’ll have to modify them in the future. (...) The basic expectation is for things like 4K/60, 10-bit 4:2:2, and a lot of manufacturers are doing that right now, but I want to think in a different way and create something that goes beyond the expectations of our customers. "

I'm assuming that in order to get 4K60p / 10-bit 4:2:2 Sony has to redesign the physics of the A7 body to avoid overheating. This physical redesign is why it took them so long to release this camera and also the reason why even the latest gen Alpha bodies are still capping at 4K30 8-bit.

Really hoping the "beyond customers expectations" means some innovative tech like the Vari-ND from the FS line.. that would certainly tip the scale in the upcoming R5/R6 battle.

I'm interested...but then I am interested in anything new from whoever.

Nothing to do with GAS (I don't suffer) but am interested to see how anything stacks up to my current hybrid of choice, the XT3.

I was expecting to have gone XT4 this Spring, but Covid-2020 killed that.

Any remaining wedding season this year means any/all new stuff won't be available anyway, so any jobs this year will all be XT3.

And then 2021 comes down to that combo of; need vs cost.

What do I personally need?

8k? Nope.

Raw? Nope.

4k 60p, 10 bit internal? Yes.

IBIS? Ideally. (My current compromise).

Canon R5 will undoubtedly be overkill for me. R6 could be a contender...

This new Sony? Probably like the R5 more than my needs so XT4 or my 'ideal' (based on my spec) XH2 most likely.

But good to see anything new that moves the game forward. Unlike the *cough* G100 Shitbox.

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Canon and Sony have practically ignored us for 5 years and now suddenly they want our money again.

Bear this in mind when you see all the stage-managed YouTube hype next month about 8K and RAW.

Exactly my thought. I waited so long for these two companies to give us some professionnal features like Panasonic or even Fuji gave us (4k60p and 10bit 422 for example), so long that I ended up buying an S1H and 24-70 f2.8 for an incredible bargain price and I don't have any regret. Sure, i'll keep an eye on those products when they will be released, but I am so happy with what Panasonic has made. I already had GH1, GH2, GH3 and GX80, it's like coming home again after a Canon/Sony adventure ! I left Panasonic cause I wanted the full frame look, now they gave us exactly that, plus all their usual features for video.
Let's wait and see, consumer will always be the clear winner in the end !

Man the level of disappointment is going to be at an all-time high when the mythical a7s3 is released. A vague comment about things being new and unspecific stuff about raw to stoke the flames. Looks like 4k60p 10-bit internal with raw through HDMI like the Z6/S1h. It'll have Sony's new AF system, hopefully a flippy screen and a competent touchscreen like Canon's, and maybe dual UHS-II cards, but with Sony's recent track record I wouldn't bet on it. Sony fanboys keep calling the R5 a "paper camera" to try and downplay how they've done what Sony claims is coming - completely exceed expectations. Now something with no actual information gets people excited for something that's vaporware at this point. SMH.

My expectations are low based on the last few years of Sony's 8-bit releases, shitty LCD's, UHS-1 slots in 42mp cameras that shoot 10fps, and more - so the new camera really doesn't have to offer much improvement in order to exceed expectations. 

Chris

8 hours ago, Django said:

Tanaka said : "I want to think in a different way and create something that goes beyond the expectations of our customers. "

I hope that is not a consumerish focus on something like 8k, or yet another proprietary raw format, at the cost of actual real-world features wanted by videographers. I'd like to see 10-bit or 12-bit ProRes acquisition from day one (if only to a Ninja V), improved IBIS, or simultaneous dual-gain capture like on the C300 Mark III: https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/06/05/canons-dual-gain-output-sensor-explained/

Obviously internal ND would be great but I just can't see mirrorless manufacturers doing that due to cost and space issues.

1 hour ago, joema said:

Obviously internal ND would be great but I just can't see mirrorless manufacturers doing that due to cost and space issues.

I'm talking about electronic vari-ND.. and if the pocket-sized Ricoh GR & XT100 can do it, there must be a way to include it in a MILC.