Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Really interesting comparison with the R5.

8k RAW on the R5 is very impressive, in the bread and butter 4k modes the A7s3 seems to have the edge particularly with DR and lowlight (although there is a lot of smeary NR going on with the Sony)

The R5 needs those other Clog modes and of course to sort out the overheating

@ade towell Actually Lumix S5 is a real winner. When I tested the 8bit codecs of the S1, there was no mushyness whatsoever at high isos in extreme low (no) light situations. a few tiny Artefacts became visible in the shadows at no light. Interesting enough the super slim 75mbit h265 codec had grain in these situations, on the contrary it breaks apart on evenly and well lit plain surfaces. So I have been super impressed. Still don´t have the Vlog update, because I dont know if Panasonic will give it to us for free very soon. Would be a bit of wasted 200 USD then. S1, no mushyness in the shadows in no light situations, but grain. "No light" what a term for photography.:)

S5 with Vlog has now been tested and it is performing the best compared to R5,6, A7siii, the latter one the worst. S5 is an image quality monster. Hard to believe they did it. Cinema quality in a 150mbit codec. Panasonic needs to promote it better. They can ask me being an ambassador. Here I come @andy lee :)

Check out Andrews friends from slashcam de and put it through the translator or check out the image.:

https://www.slashcam.de/images/texte/1974-300Prozent_Auge-300Prozent_Auge.jpg

Even though I'm probably getting this cam (not the first batch though), the resolving power makes me sad 😞

At the end of the day the speed vs the resolution wins in $$$ terms since 90% of people don't care if it's sharp or not and you'll end up watching a video on a phone.

It's just easier to work with and you take a slight hit to IQ that only makes you cry but no one else. The NR is also next level sludge but it "works" so yay?

I'd probably take the Canon image despite it's trash shadow recovery, but dat cripple timer and 30 minute limit... for $4K. It's too hard to work with that camera on regular jobs, so A7SIII it is...

Anyone else getting clients asking for 100mb videos for their streaming software that can't handle anything else?...

18 minutes ago, Beritar said:

No doubt about the better image, better IBIS too.

At the expense of much worse rolling shutter, laughably bad AF in 2020, a downspec EVF, no raw, few native lens options and so on. The L-mount has a ways to go before its a competitive system with the E-mount and it doesn't look like they're ever going to get the AF sorted. Pretty much anything can produce a great image these days, if you need more than just a body, Panasonic FF is the worst choice among the big players - far behind Sony, Canon, Nikon and even Fuji. 

Cheers

Chris

50 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

At the expense of much worse rolling shutter, laughably bad AF in 2020, a downspec EVF, no raw, few native lens options and so on. The L-mount has a ways to go before its a competitive system with the E-mount and it doesn't look like they're ever going to get the AF sorted. Pretty much anything can produce a great image these days, if you need more than just a body, Panasonic FF is the worst choice among the big players - far behind Sony, Canon, Nikon and even Fuji. 

Cheers

Chris

There is advantages and disadvantages on both cameras (the S5 will get the 5.9k raw update too), in the end it's about user preference. As an hybrid shooter, I much prefer the S5. 

1 hour ago, Beritar said:

There is advantages and disadvantages on both cameras (the S5 will get the 5.9k raw update too), in the end it's about user preference. As an hybrid shooter, I much prefer the S5. 

Hey use whatever works for you, if its the S5 that's great. The lenses and AF don't work for me, everyone's needs are different. Enjoy your camera.

Cheers

Chris