Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

Josh & Gerarld are most underrated youtubers 

Not by those of us that appreciate their content.  Josh has had a tough year personally, feel for him.  But man, between him and Gerald, I feel I'm tapped into the deep technical aspects of using mirrorless for filming as well as the creative side (you know which is from which channel, 😉

On 8/26/2020 at 8:35 AM, Dave Del Real said:

Did you hear anything back? It'd be great if Sony implements a firmware update to add this function to the A7III.

The Sony PRO Support person I have been working with, replied back that he had to ship back his A7SIII.  He is getting his production model in the next week'ish before the bulk starts shipping.  He is going to do another zoom with me once he gets it.  Currently all of Sony PRO Support is working from home, so they are not driving into a common place where all the gear they normally have access to.  So they request specific hardware based on the customers they work on.  There's no data set yet on when they return, so for now, until he gets his unit, he has not way to verify where those settings are and if they are in there.

I did however, find a small blurb listing in the final production document he shared about a shadow setting (I assume the highlight would be there next to it).  I'm beginning to wonder if Brandon confused a photography setting with video?  He is the first to tell you that he is not technical, like the opposite of Gerald Undone, lol (he's modest though, he knows some technical, just not deep)

"Use Creative Look to create moods in camera"

A selection of new Creative Looks makes it easy to create interesting moods for stills and movies right in the camera. 10 Creative Looks are provided as presets that can be used without modification or customized by the user, based on the currently selected camera mode.

• The [FL] preset, for example, has clear contrast and an interesting blend of subdued but impressive colors.
  • The [IN] preset has a soft, matte look.

The presets provide a wide range of variations with different combinations of color, color depth, brightness, contrast, sharpness, and more.

Eight customizable parameters including contrast, saturation, shadow and others can be adjusted while viewing the resulting image via the monitor or viewfinder. Customized Creative Looks can be stored as Custom Looks for later recall and use.

So, maybe Brandon customized this Custom Look with those shadow and highlights adjustments.  My understanding is that these creative looks are only for stills and don't apply to movies, but I could be mistaken.

The other part of your question to do with firmware update to the A7III to add this, will depend.  If my above guess is right, that wouldn't help you if you want those adjustments for picture profiles (video).  Will update this once I hear back from support (may be 7 to 10 more days).

1 hour ago, Hangs4Fun said:

The Sony PRO Support person I have been working with, replied back that he had to ship back his A7SIII.  He is getting his production model in the next week'ish before the bulk starts shipping.  He is going to do another zoom with me once he gets it.  Currently all of Sony PRO Support is working from home, so they are not driving into a common place where all the gear they normally have access to.  So they request specific hardware based on the customers they work on.  There's no data set yet on when they return, so for now, until he gets his unit, he has not way to verify where those settings are and if they are in there.

I did however, find a small blurb listing in the final production document he shared about a shadow setting (I assume the highlight would be there next to it).  I'm beginning to wonder if Brandon confused a photography setting with video?  He is the first to tell you that he is not technical, like the opposite of Gerald Undone, lol (he's modest though, he knows some technical, just not deep)

"Use Creative Look to create moods in camera"

A selection of new Creative Looks makes it easy to create interesting moods for stills and movies right in the camera. 10 Creative Looks are provided as presets that can be used without modification or customized by the user, based on the currently selected camera mode.

• The [FL] preset, for example, has clear contrast and an interesting blend of subdued but impressive colors.
  • The [IN] preset has a soft, matte look.

The presets provide a wide range of variations with different combinations of color, color depth, brightness, contrast, sharpness, and more.

Eight customizable parameters including contrast, saturation, shadow and others can be adjusted while viewing the resulting image via the monitor or viewfinder. Customized Creative Looks can be stored as Custom Looks for later recall and use.

So, maybe Brandon customized this Custom Look with those shadow and highlights adjustments.  My understanding is that these creative looks are only for stills and don't apply to movies, but I could be mistaken.

The other part of your question to do with firmware update to the A7III to add this, will depend.  If my above guess is right, that wouldn't help you if you want those adjustments for picture profiles (video).  Will update this once I hear back from support (may be 7 to 10 more days).

SMDH...  Well, I just read the part that I copy/pasted from the doc and it clearly does say that those Creative Look settings are for BOTH stills and movies:

So most likely, this is where Brandon set the highlights to -9 and the shadows to +9 and it was in the standard creative style.  In my a9 I only see Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpness in my standard creative style (would guess the same for the a7III), so the highlights and shadows setting must be some new options only in the A7SII.

13 hours ago, Hangs4Fun said:

SMDH...  Well, I just read the part that I copy/pasted from the doc and it clearly does say that those Creative Look settings are for BOTH stills and movies:

So most likely, this is where Brandon set the highlights to -9 and the shadows to +9 and it was in the standard creative style.  In my a9 I only see Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpness in my standard creative style (would guess the same for the a7III), so the highlights and shadows setting must be some new options only in the A7SII.

Ah, got it. Had me going through my A7III for a minute until I read this second post. Thanks for looking into it, I sure hope we get a firmware update to include that option.

15 hours ago, Hangs4Fun said:

The a7III also has just contrast, saturation and sharpness like every other Sony camera. Interesting there are so many more options to tweak the standard profiles now. I've been using Cine2 (over the seemingly more popular HLG) with the a7III to avoid Slog headaches and have a lower minimum ISO since I always shoot in the sun, its unavoidable in Florida LOL! Will be interesting to see how Cine2 and HLG translates to 10-bit 4:2:2 footage.

Chris

6 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

The a7III also has just contrast, saturation and sharpness like every other Sony camera. Interesting there are so many more options to tweak the standard profiles now. I've been using Cine2 (over the seemingly more popular HLG) with the a7III to avoid Slog headaches and have a lower minimum ISO since I always shoot in the sun, its unavoidable in Florida LOL! Will be interesting to see how Cine2 and HLG translates to 10-bit 4:2:2 footage.

Chris

In the a7SIII you can take the S-Log3 all the way down to 160 ISO 😮   though the minimum ISO when shooting S-Log3/S-Log2 is now native 640 but in extended can go from 160-500

So looking forward to no more minimum of 1,600 ISO.

You should seriously consider shooting the A7SIII in S-Log3.  Between this new min ISO and finally having the color range to support it, S-Log3 will finally be usable in a mirrorless.

image.thumb.png.bd2e03b93819d9d1c8caf0fc3eeca8e0.png

5 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Interesting video on the gyroscope stabilization

I have used this in my Sony RX0 Mark II.  It was impressingly FAST compared to what I usually use for stabilization in post (NewBlue FX Stabilizer).  What I did not like with the RX0 Mark II stabilization correction in post, was I could only use the mobile app that Sony was pushing with it.  And unlike Catalyst Browse where you can change the amount of crop and stabilization, I could either stabilize or not.  I still found it to be too inconsistent to use regularly (plus dji osmo action and gopro were killing it with stabilization).  On full frame and aps-c camera's I never really figured we would have anything usable tbh.

But what I remember about that RX 0 Mark II, was how fast you could stabilize in post.  Was very clear that there was something to imbedded gyro information was, especially if they provided us with a tool that could customize how much stabilization to apply.  We are probably a couple of Mark versions away from really good stabilization, but this is a step in the right direction, and pretty clever way to do it (versus the in camera software)

On 9/3/2020 at 5:13 PM, Hangs4Fun said:

In the a7SIII you can take the S-Log3 all the way down to 160 ISO 😮   though the minimum ISO when shooting S-Log3/S-Log2 is now native 640 but in extended can go from 160-500

So looking forward to no more minimum of 1,600 ISO.

You should seriously consider shooting the A7SIII in S-Log3.  Between this new min ISO and finally having the color range to support it, S-Log3 will finally be usable in a mirrorless.

image.thumb.png.bd2e03b93819d9d1c8caf0fc3eeca8e0.png

Thanks for the info, I have ND's so I can make it work at 640 to avoid expanded ISO's. The other thing for me is I'm not very good at properly exposing SLog, I'm trying to get the hang of false colors or using different zebra levels to get it right, but I definitely need more practice with my typical scenarios like landscapes, talking head interviews, and sunrise/sunset shots. I recently picked up a Ninja V so the exposure tools beyond in cam zebras are new to me. But I will try Slog3 and HLG in addition to standard profiles and the Cine profiles.

Cheers

Chris

23 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Jealous. A few in Europe are reporting the same thing. Looking forward to it being in the hands of real owners. Please update with any tests.

Chris

The way I do tests is to throw it in the deep end on a paid shoot straight away. Also have the Ninja V to pair it with. 

3 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The way I do tests is to throw it in the deep end on a paid shoot straight away. Also have the Ninja V to pair it with. 

Cool. I have a Ninja V too, gonna put it to work right away as well shooting some surf video. My only issue is that my SSD was Prores Raw approved when I bought it earlier this year and now its not. We'll see how it performs. I'm buying the a7s3 to get FF 10-bit, but the raw is a bonus.

Cheers

Chris

Here's a couple short ProRes raw clips - not mine since the camera isn't shipping in the US yet. But a chance to tinker with some footage. 

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/08484b6d49a91db7c62cc92d364d4a5c20200916064042/d8415b?fbclid=IwAR2XITJ3z_JnTCA9s-ugbtFclpRNhnD9VsrCy2wMl8UzunFEP6XcVFAcao0

The FW update from Atomos is out too. Now to figure out working with raw in FCPx...

Enjoy.

Chris

Tinkering with the raw files, no LUT, just basic exposure adjustments and balancing the RGB parade on the first, the second has a little more saturation. I'm a novice with grading and working on my skills. I've been told by others here I can't see good color because I like what's coming out of the a7s3, so if its shit, it is what it is, but I'm still buying the camera. Plenty of detail on the guy's face despite not being oversampled like the a73. Looking forward to my copy shipping.

Cheers.

Chris

EDIT: colors pop more in my FCPx window than looking at this page on chrome. 

Test.jpg

Test 2.jpg