Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

35 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Sigma does make lenses for the Z mount.  And reviews say they work great.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/standard-lenses?sigma_format=7063&sigma_mount=12003

18 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Have I missed something ?

The lenses in the link from @Super8 link refer to Nikon DSLR lenses and not Z-mount.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
5 minutes ago, Super8 said:

My bad. I thought they were for the Z-mount.

The F mount versions are good though so it would be a shame if they didn't produce Z mount versions.

They've got their hands full with L mount though so it could be a while.

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

Will they function as well as E-mount adapters that already exist? Will speedboosters for all those lens mounts be made? Who knows since everything has to be reverse engineered? Plus there will be no Zeiss, Tamron or Sigma lenses for the Zed mount anytime soon. I'll stick with the known quantity for now and reassess in a couple years when their next gen cameras are out and the lens lineup is more comprehensive with (hopefully) 3rd party support.

I'm not buying into a system for what it may become at some undetermined point down the road - especially when I like the E-mount lens options available right now and most of the best have been around long enough to fall into really great prices on the used market.

Chris

Don't understand at all, in theory their could be speed boosters for MF lens, but why, isn't full frame already shallow enough. Nikon even have the 58 mm 0.95 NOCT. You already have a ton of adapters from Nikon Z mount and Nikon has the FTZ adapter that give you access to a ton of Nikon Fmount lens and all the compatible Zeiss etc.  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=zeiss nikon&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

Nikon own Z lens are from extremely good to exceptional, but more for autofocus than manual focus as they are fly by wire. In fact for myself I intend to buy a set of Nikon AFS lens, I already used the 50 1.8 and it worked super good even with autofocus. I must get a 35 and 85 mm. I already got some older lens that will be pure manual focus. I did this video for a friend crowd funding project for a organic community farm to help people in the tourism industry impacted by the virus. This is like a teaser, he is the guy at the start and 1.45 . These were done with AFS 1.8 the rest were done with the Nikon Z 24-70 f4S, it was done very fast because weather was not good during the 2 days we shot s seen in the drone shot at the start.

I have to add, I had to add motion to the footage at the start when he talks because at a certain moments another friend who deputize to help foot touched the camera. There was no more shoots to choose from because camera and us will get wet with rain. It is that friend, knowing nothing about how to use the camera that was holding it in the shots at the end.  I had the second z6 with the 24-70 f4 to shoot larger.

5 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Don't understand at all, in theory their could be speed boosters for MF lens, but why, isn't full frame already shallow enough. Nikon even have the 58 mm 0.95 NOCT. You already have a ton of adapters from Nikon Z mount and Nikon has the FTZ adapter that give you access to a ton of Nikon Fmount lens and all the compatible Zeiss etc.

Hey man, if it works for you, fine, enjoy your camera. I really don't want to continue to debate the merits of Nikon in a Sony thread. Its a fine system and if it works for you that's great, it doesn't work for me and that's not changing soon. Apologies for derailing this discussion and bringing Nikon talk into a Sony thread. Here's another BTS video from one of the launch videos, its in French but the subtitles will auto translate.

15 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

BTS for the night desert launch film. We have an Easyrig sighting...

I don't know... I'm really just about pure enjoy in image and look from any camera, but this one still not looks to me comparatively strong in that regard.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'd be very interested in seeing any links you've got for the great reviews of any of these Sigma Z mount lenses.

Meanwhile, here is the Sigma CEO saying that they haven't decided whether they will actually make any.

Have I missed something ?

I don't know for sigma, but I know that Tamron is doing it.  There latest lens work well on the FTZ also. The FTZ is quite seamless as an adapter because it is Nikon to Nikon. It is not like those Techart adapter which have to reverse engineer lens. But there is incompatibility with older lens, but those that work, work very well.

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/06/16/tamron-rep-confirms-mirrorless-lenses-for-nikon-z-mount-are-under-development.aspx/

In the end it is just a question of Markets. As more and more Z camera are sold the different lens manufacturers sees and opportunity or not. For now it is easy also for those that already have nikon F mount version to wait as it more or less works seamlessly with the FTZ adapter.

Its all a question

1 hour ago, Danyyyel said:

I did this video for a friend crowd funding project for a organic community farm to help people in the tourism industry impacted by the virus. This is like a teaser, he is the guy at the start and 1.45 . These were done with AFS 1.8 the rest were done with the Nikon Z 24-70 f4S, it was done very fast because weather was not good during the 2 days we shot s seen in the drone shot at the start.

I second Chris' words but I must also praise such outcome, thanks for sharing : ) Lovely colours, a charm... kudos to both gear and a special mention to the talent behind the camera :- )

Shame they didn't add 4K 60p or I had adopted one then, pity they didn't. Great AF performance/system BTW.

2 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Don't understand at all, in theory their could be speed boosters for MF lens, but why, isn't full frame already shallow enough. Nikon even have the 58 mm 0.95 NOCT. You already have a ton of adapters from Nikon Z mount and Nikon has the FTZ adapter that give you access to a ton of Nikon Fmount lens and all the compatible Zeiss etc.  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=zeiss nikon&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

Nikon own Z lens are from extremely good to exceptional, but more for autofocus than manual focus as they are fly by wire. In fact for myself I intend to buy a set of Nikon AFS lens, I already used the 50 1.8 and it worked super good even with autofocus. I must get a 35 and 85 mm. I already got some older lens that will be pure manual focus. I did this video for a friend crowd funding project for a organic community farm to help people in the tourism industry impacted by the virus. This is like a teaser, he is the guy at the start and 1.45 . These were done with AFS 1.8 the rest were done with the Nikon Z 24-70 f4S, it was done very fast because weather was not good during the 2 days we shot s seen in the drone shot at the start.

Thanks for the Nikon videos and comments.   I don't think you're hijacking this thread at all and your post contain good information. 

Maybe you'll help people understand choices or systems they thought were DOA or systems they thought they had to live with.  

I am very happy Sony pushed media storage options, 4K60p, 120Kp and RAW external recording. 

You produced beautiful work my friend.  Did you record internal or external for the video above?