Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

6 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

People who think the image out of the A7SIII, a $3500 mirrorless camera, isn’t very good or the skin tones are off are nitpicking the shit out of it. I feel sorry for you people. You will never be happy.

Put everything in context. This is a fantastic release from Sony. They improved almost everything from the A7SII and kept the spirit of the A7S camera intact.

I'd kind of agree. However Sony really does need to address the noise reduction issue. The Panasonic S1 and S1H initially had the same issue as well as the GH5, but they sorted in in firmware updates. Z-cam had the issue with the E2 but they address it with firmware allowing NR to be completely turned off. 

Sure many people won't care or see it but for those that want the best IQ its really a needless gimp. I am happy with the Pana S1 IQ. Its a Sony sensor for god's sake lol. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Kind of excited to see Panasonic and Fuji's response to this camera now. The specs kind of leave both of them behind by a good bit. Prior Fuji and Pana were leading in their IQ for hybrids. XH2 soon....

I really don't think Panasonic is behind except for AF. They offer 6k,better ergonomics, ProRes RAW as well, better exposure tools, better weather sealing, better heat management, better reliability, the best screen implementation, better photography camera than the Sony a7sIII (at least a better resolution that's helpful for stills), really good color science, timecode, better IBIS, 4K DCI, anamorphic modes, etc. 

I think it's on par with the Sony offering. What makes one stronger is a weakness for the other and vice versa. 

People really tend to make Panasonic look worst than they actually are. 

3 hours ago, jonathangrijalva810 said:

Not to stir things up, but is the overheating an issue with the a7siii as well? I’ve seen some issues people had. Is this just marketing that everyone bashes Canon but not Sony? I don’t own either and don’t plan to, but just curious why everyone got hell bent on destroying Canon but it doesn’t seem to be discussed with Sony. Or is it not an issue with Sony? 

https://youtu.be/tgcp8wXAUZY

I think for a couple of reasons.

The Canon IS shaping up to be a wonderful, stills camera and has really nice video but it was sold as being a lot more for video than it may well be (if only due to the heat).

Main thing is that it seems (could be wrong but that is what it seems) that the Canon WILL overheat depending on mode  while the Sony will also overheat (and when it does, overheat quicker) BUT the Sony seems to overheat in hot environments.

I hope both the Canons and the Sonys are complete successes (my favourite camera is a Sony and my favourite lens is a Canon).

The S1H did get close in a lot of ways for the pro-thusiast, but the AF was a bust (absolutely needed for a hybrid) plus the L mount lenses are $$$ and not plentiful in range.

The Netflix thing was a gimmick. Marketing tool. The vast majority of Netflix productions won't use something at this level. 

19 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

I really don't think Panasonic is behind except for AF. They offer 6k,better ergonomics, ProRes RAW as well, better exposure tools, better weather sealing, better heat management, better reliability, the best screen implementation, better photography camera than the Sony a7sIII (at least a better resolution that's helpful for stills), really good color science, timecode, better IBIS, 4K DCI, anamorphic modes, etc. 

I think it's on par with the Sony offering. What makes one stronger is a weakness for the other and vice versa. 

People really tend to make Panasonic look worst than they actually are. 

Definitely behind for me. Cropped 420 10 bit 4k 60p, poor quality 120-180fps HD.

The Sony delivers 4k at 24, 60, and 120p with no crop full sensor readout. 

6k is cool and all but I honestly shoot in HD half the time and when I need more its 4k. 6K downsampled is beautiful of course but if it means no full sensor 4k 60p and shitty 120p than I'll pass. That is just me of course. 

Fuji offers an incredible bang for its buck. Its AF needs major improvements though. I'd pay $2500 for an XH2 with a 12mp sensor and 4k 120p though. Especially if it has reliable AF.

47 minutes ago, deezid said:

You mean they kept the noise reduction artifacts and oversharpening?
Yep, they did indeed. The ZV-1 looks the same even.

I mean what do you expect? The camera is designed for lowlight sensitivity. It’s right there in the name and literature about it.

All cameras have their faults. I do recall the S1H had horrible temporal noise issues. They are fixed now. Give Sony a break. My god.

Csnt wait for the release hysteria to die so we can talk calmly and objectively about it all. 

2 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Maybe with prores RAW though. I guess the form factor is just not something that would be suitable for a professional film set. 

On the end of a jib for a stunt that might get trashed you might find one. But never for A or B. Just marketing fodder for prosumers, 'My cam is netflix certified'. That's nice!

28 minutes ago, Nezza said:

The S1H did get close in a lot of ways for the pro-thusiast, but the AF was a bust (absolutely needed for a hybrid) plus the L mount lenses are $$$ and not plentiful in range.

The Netflix thing was a gimmick. Marketing tool. The vast majority of Netflix productions won't use something at this level. 

But it is being used for Netflix productions...

9 minutes ago, Nezza said:

On the end of a jib for a stunt that might get trashed you might find one. But never for A or B. Just marketing fodder for prosumers, 'My cam is netflix certified'. That's nice!

And why would Netflix help Panasonic to market it by adding it to the approved list? 

6 minutes ago, Nezza said:

I'm sure he is. How many netflix productions are using an S1H would you estimate?

Who knows? Who cares? You said no one was using it for Netflix, outside of it MAYBE being a crash cam. That's not true. 

7 minutes ago, Nezza said:

What's your point?

I'm guessing his point is that you're speaking as an authority when, truthfully, you probably don't know and have little real experience working on a major production. There seems to be a lot of folks like that on the forums lately.