Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, luizhmgoncalves said:

I Just did another test here. 
Its crazy wath you said, that even your machine with RTX 2080 ti is on the limit for that footage.
Maybe Nvidia RTXs has better implementation for the kind of compression of the h265 Eos R5 are generating. 

My CPU stayed at 70% and the GPU was only around 15% so I think its like they are saying, H.265 out of the R5 is only decoded in the CPU so my video card is useless for this footage.  Canon botched this one in every way imaginable. The funny thing is, right when I start questioning my sanity for still hoping they find a fix for the R5 and R6 I color graded the sample footage and it looked incredible. Obviously it was only a tiny sample in simple outdoor well lit lighting conditions but the skin tones looked incredible and it took me two seconds to grade it; my GH5 with the exact same shot would never have looked that good.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Where did you find the DR lacking in Nikon's. I mean in some test Nikon Flat profile competes already well with Canon Log profile. I haven't done enough test myself but Nikon log gives you even more DR and highlight Roll off are among the best in the MLC cameras I have seen. What useful features, they have excellent ergonomics, Ibis, viewfinder and construction. What do they miss. For example I was laughting when the leaked BH of the A7S3 came out because the guy was so wow about doing rack focus with the back touch screen. I mean I have been doing it on my Z since it started. By the way, they were the first to give 422 video ot, 10 bit FF camera and even RAW.

Yeah my mistake DR seems to be pretty good. Prores raw is something I cannot use though as Resolve does not support it + I dont like external recorders. Bm has got us spoiled. Hoping they release a new camera as well pretty soon and trump all competition.

11 hours ago, PabloB said:

I don't believe that's true. Nikon when they released the Z6 it had a ton of sharpening on the image. Sony was in my eyes is just very detailed from the downsampling. Canon with their aggressive AA filter give a nice image feel at the expenses of detail which many like and some don't -  just different philosophies.

That's the problem of listening to youtuber doing 15 minutes test of gear they don't know. On normal picture profile Nikon did a lot of sharpening that you can dial down. On the flat profile it is already down on default sharpness. Nikon is doing a full sensor readout, no crop, that is 6k from all the pixel on the z6, which gives you very good 4k video. Only in RAW output that it skips pixel to achieve 4k from its 6k sensor.

10 hours ago, docmoore said:

I took a 54Gb 15 minute 4K DCI All-I HEVC file from my 1DX III into my iPadPro ... opened in Lumafusion and it played in realtime ... I then exported it as H.264

4K DCi to VLC on the same device ... rendered in under 5 minutes ... and was perfect ... when I transcode the same file type on my 2010 Mac Pro

it takes easily 5 times as long.

So Max Yuryev is correct ... the new Apple chips will work with the H.265 4:2:2 files without breaking a sweat.

As I posted multiple times in varius thread the issue is that Nvidia supports only h265  10bit 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 on 20xx platform and only 10bit 4:2:0 on 10xx platform. Intel quick sync also does not support h265 4:2:2.... Apple arm seems to support it.

Not sure why 4:4:4 works and Nvidia cannot do driver update for 4:2:2....

6 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

Can we ask for a recall for the as7iii as well now? Or is the hysteria only reserved for canon because Gerald said so?

The recall of the R5 and R6 is only a rumour and it seems units are being shipped out, so wait and see there.  Canon overheating issues aren't just down to Gerald... it comes from many sources, including Canon themselves.  We are still in early days of Sonys overheating reports.  There were plenty of denials in the first week after Canon officially launched the R5 and R6 to us all.  I'm not surprised Sony is having the same reaction.  Give it time and more tests.

Besides how can you ask for a recall for a camera not out till September... 🤣🤣🤣  The R5 on the otherhand is supposedly out now..... 

4 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

The recall of the R5 and R6 is only a rumour and it seems units are being shipped out, so wait and see there.  Canon overheating issues aren't just down to Gerald... it comes from many sources, including Canon themselves.  We are still in early days of Sonys overheating reports.  There were plenty of denials in the first week after Canon officially launched the R5 and R6 to us all.  I'm not surprised Sony is having the same reaction.  Give it time and more tests.

Besides how can you ask for a recall for a camera not out till September... 🤣🤣🤣  The R5 on the otherhand is supposedly out now..... 

Of course I am being faceitious; I only mentioned Gerald cause he was one that went in hard against the canon and then had nothing to say about the a7siii. Now we are in the same situation we can see how ridiculous these youtube reviews are. 

I wouldn't call ridiculous, just not definitive... ; )

...but yes, clickbait is clickbait : D There are still some other YT channels to promote fake IQ comparison tests, go figure... LOL

Misinformation should be punished anyway. You can blame YT for that. And the stupid audiences as well for sure.

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

I wouldn't call ridiculous, just not definitive... ; -)

Yes but who is the worse beast: canon who told everyone from day one the camera had bad overheating issues (as documented here on EOSHD) or Sony who said you can record without overheating and are supported by the youtube hype machine? 

Am not a Sony fan so don't burn me, and my ageing memory may well be wrong but didn't they say in the press release there was a heat limit in 4k60 which as far as I know was the mode the Sony overheated in the Florida test. People saying the R5 lasted longer in 4k60 tended to gloss over the point that the A7s3 is full sensor read out in that mode whereas the R5 is pixel binned - so hardly that surprising

Do you know what modes were used in that 3 blind men link you posted? Have other modes been shown to overheat under reasonable filming conditions (not just when thrown into an oven)

I agree though that no camera at these sort of prices should overheat. Make the camera big enough to handle the heat. Panasonic did it the right way

14 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Am not a Sony fan so don't burn me, and my ageing memory may well be wrong but didn't they say in the press release there was a heat limit in 4k60 which as far as I know was the mode the Sony overheated in the Florida test. People saying the R5 lasted longer in 4k60 tended to gloss over the point that the A7s3 is full sensor read out in that mode whereas the R5 is pixel binned - so hardly that surprising

Do you know what modes were used in that 3 blind men link you posted? Have other modes been shown to overheat under reasonable filming conditions (not just when thrown into an oven)

I agree though that no camera at these sort of prices should overheat. Make the camera big enough to handle the heat. Panasonic did it the right way

He is talking about 10 bit 422 4k 24p Long GOP.

Even the r5 lets you shoot some kind of 4k 24p without overheating. 

14 hours ago, PabloB said:

I don't believe that's true. Nikon when they released the Z6 it had a ton of sharpening on the image. Sony was in my eyes is just very detailed from the downsampling. Canon with their aggressive AA filter give a nice image feel at the expenses of detail which many like and some don't -  just different philosophies.

The ZV-1 and A7s3 look the same, only that the latter has more dynamic range. Since Sony uses the same processing algorithms throughout their alpha cameras since the A7sII why wouldn't it?

Here some examples for the horrible oversharpening (left, also showing aliasing issues) and paint brush like noise reduction with ghosting and smearing (right).

f8eKAp5.jpg

Now I See Part 2 Vimeo version FINAL h265.mp4_snapshot_01.25_[2020.07.28_21.33.26].jpg

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

As I posted multiple times in varius thread the issue is that Nvidia supports only h265  10bit 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 on 20xx platform and only 10bit 4:2:0 on 10xx platform. Intel quick sync also does not support h265 4:2:2.... Apple arm seems to support it.

Not sure why 4:4:4 works and Nvidia cannot do driver update for 4:2:2....

I saw the YouTube on the issue as well. I do hope it is just a driver update vs. an actual HW architecture shortcoming. I just upgraded to an RTX 2080 TI thinking I would be future proof for the next 5yrs or so. My 980TI lasted me 4 years.

I also updated to the latest version of DR that came out yesterday and the CPU dropped to 50% while the GPU stayed at 15% playing the R5 footage. Still not great but better. After applying two layers of color grades though the timeline was unusable.

57 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

Yes but who is the worse beast: canon who told everyone from day one the camera had bad overheating issues (as documented here on EOSHD) or Sony who said you can record without overheating and are supported by the youtube hype machine? 

I'm not into favourites here... Sony always have had overheating issues, that's why I don't use them.  Canon have always been reliable, so this step into overheating is pretty new and probably surprised some.

And Canon still suffers from its own Youtube hype machine, with some downplaying, or dismissing the problem.  Especially in that first week, even though Canon was as you say upfront about it.

As to which is better, we need to wait until final production units are out and being used by people other than biased vloggers.